A questionnaire based survey study was conducted to understand the perception about the generic medicines in medical practitioner’s mind of urban Madhya Gujarat region precisely Vadodara, Dahod and Godhra. It was a questionnaire based study intended to understand exactly what medical practitioner thinks about generic medicines i.e. efficacy, quality, safety, availability, etc. The results of the study show that the doctors are not so clear and confident about these aspects regarding generic medicines. It was presumed by many doctors that generic medicines are inferior in quality than branded ones. Majority of doctors agreed upon the affordability issue when we talk about medicines. It was found that the doctors had lack of proper knowledge and awareness about generic medicines. In a country like India where you have out-of-pocket expenditure on healthcare so high it is the urgent need of the hour to decrease it. Generic medicines are one of the most effective tools for that purpose. Creating awareness about generic medicines among the medical fraternity about generic medicines was felt necessary. Educational programs, Seminars and campaigns from the state side as well as from the generic medicine producer companies' side can be helpful for clearing doubts or myths about generic medicines among doctors. This very effort can really help to create a consensus for 'writing prescription by generic name only rule' for private medical practitioners also.
Kishnani Tarun N, Patel Vipul P
Questionnaire, Generic Medicines, Medical Practitioners, Vadodara, Godhra, Dahod
- Aarti Patel, Quality of generic medicines in South Africa: Perceptions versus Reality – A qualitative study, BMC Health Services Research 2012, 12:297
- Ajoy Bera, The Importance Of Generic Drugs In India, IJPCBS,2012,2(4),575-587
- Akash Acharya, Health Care Financing for the Poor Community-based Health Insurance Schemes in Gujarat, Economic and Political Weekly September 17, 2005
- Amit G, Rosen A, Wagshal AB, Bonneh DY, Liss T, Grosbard A, et al. Efficacy of substituting innovator propafenone for its generic formulation in patients with atrial fibrillation. Am J Cardiol. 2004;93:1558–60.
- Cameron A et al. Medicine prices, availability, and affordability in 36 developing and middle-income countries: a secondary analysis. Lancet, 2009; 373:240–249.
- Clapham A, Robinson M. Realizing the right to health. In: Swiss Human Rights Book Series, vol.3. Zurich, Rüffer & Rub, 2009.
- Frouzi Elpiniki, Knowledge and attitudes of Greek Physicians towards generic prescribing after the economic crisis, International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research (IJPSR), ISSN : 0975-9492, Vol 4 No 10 Oct 2013, 125-32
- Gupta PB. Survey of pharmacists: impact of the generic drug scandal and implications for marketing generic drugs.
- Health status of the district of india, Independent Commission on Development and Health in India,2008
- Hristina Lebanova, Patients’ attitude about generics –Bulgarian perspective, Marmara Pharmaceutical Journal 16: 36-40, 2012
- Huda O. Salhia, Perception and attitude of physicians toward local generic medicines in Saudi Arabia: A questionnaire-based study, Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal (2015) 23, 397–404
- Jamshed SQ, Ibrahim MIM, Hassali MA, Masood I, Low BY, Shafie AA, et al. Perception and attitude of general practitioners regarding generic medicines in Karachi, Pakistan: a questionnaire based study. Southern Med Rev. 2012;5(1):22–30.
- Kishor Ahire, A Survey Based Study In Current Scenario Of Generic And Branded Medicines, Int J Pharm Pharm Sci, Vol 5, Issue 3, 705-711, India, 2013
- Lopes Gde L. Cost comparison and economic implications of commonly used originator and generic chemotherapy drugs in India. Ann Oncol. 2013;24(Suppl 5):v13–6
- M Govinda Rao and Mita Choudhury, healthcare financing reforms in India, 2012
- Sarah Colgan, Perceptions of generic medication in the general population, doctors and pharmacists: a systematic review, BMJ Open 2015;5
- Singal GL, Nanda A, Kotwani A. A comparative evaluation of price and quality of some branded versus branded-generic medicines of the same manufacturer in India. Indian J Pharmacol. 2011;43:131–6.
- Suzanne S. Dunne, What do people really think of generic medicines? A systematic review and critical appraisal of literature on stakeholder perceptions of generic drugs, Medicine (2015) 13:173
- Theodorou, Factors influencing prescribing behaviour of physicians in Greece, and Cyprus: results from a questionnaire based survey. Ann.
- William H Shrank, Physician Perceptions About Generic Drugs, The Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2011 January, Volume 45
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Kishnani Tarun N, Patel Vipul P, "An Exploratory Study of Generic Medicines in Urban Central Gujarat Region ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.611-616, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1624133.php