Water is the basic necessity of any living species on the earth. We even can’t imagine our life without unavailability of water in our daily routine. Our body contains 70% of water inside it and it plays a crucial role to make our body healthy and workable. But the public places like railway stations, bus stations, public parks, etc. the water facility is not proper and not fit for drinking purpose. A study was carried out to evaluate the quality of drinking water supplied at major railway stations in south Gujarat. Water sample were connected from the tap water sources making at total of 2 sampling points of south Gujarat railway station. There were Bharuch , surat , valsad and vyara railway stations.Two set of sample collected ,which is one during monsoon and other one is after the monsoon where taken from each sampling point.Four physiochemical parameters [pH, colour, turbility, hardeness] and bacteriological parameters where tested for each sample and value compared with WHO guideline for drinking water. Analysis will carried out and suitable measure will take to make drinking water source free from pollution.
Jay G. Patel, Kuldip B. Patel, Jignesh M.Vasava, Mihir D. Ganvit, Nirav A. Chaudhari
Water Quality, Physicochemical Characteristics; Bacteriological Characteristics.
- Abbasi, S. A. and P.C. Nipaney (1995). An assessment of drinking water quality of the open wells in Malappuram coast, Kerala. Poll Res. 14 (3): 313-316.
- Almasri, M. L. and J. J. Kaluarachchi (2004). Assessment and management of longterm nitrate pollution of groundwater in agriculture-domonated watersheds. Journal of Hydrology, I295 (1-4): 225-245.
- Ammann, Adrian A., Eduard Hoehn and Sabine Koch (2003). Groundwater pollution by roof infiltration evidenced with multi-tracer experiments. Water Research,37(5): 1143-1153.
- N. Tandel, Dr. J. Macwan and C. K. Soni - "Assessment of Water Quality Index of Small Lake in South Gujarat Region, India."
- Banerjee S.K., M. Banerjee and K.M. Agarwal (1999). Study of Tikara and Brahmani river ecosystems. Env Eco, 17(2): 296-305.
- Bhuvaneswaran, N., G. Santhakalshmi and S. Rajeswari (1999). Water quality of river Adyar in Chennai city – the river a boon or a bane. Indian J Environ Prot., 19(6): 412-415.
- Chandra, R., Y. Bahadur and B. K. Sharma (1996). Monitoring the quality of river Ramganga waters of Bareilly. Poll Res., 15(1): 31-33.
- Chatterjee, C. and M. Raziuddin (2001). Bacteriological status of river water in Asansol town in West Bangal, J Env Polln, 8(2): 217-219.
- Chauhan R. And Ramanathan Al, “Evaluation Of Water Quality Of The Rivers In The East Coast Of India”, School Of Environmental Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
- Chaurasia, S. and G. K. Kanran (1994). Impact assessment of mass bathing in river Mandakiniduring Ashwamedha Yagna April 1994. Indian J Environ Prot., 14 (5): 356-359.
- Choubey V. K. (1995). Water chemistry of Tawa river and reservoir in Central India. Energy Env Monit, 11(2): 167-176.
- Das J. And Acharya B.C. “Hydrology And Assessment Of Surface Water Quality In Cuttack City, India”, Mineralogy And Metallography Department, Regional Research Laboratory, Bhubaneswar (Csir)
- Das, N.K. and R.K. Sinha (1994). Pollution status of river Ganga at Patna (Bihar), India. J. Freshwater Bio, 6(2): 159-161.
- David, A. (1963). Report On Fisheries Survey Of River Gandak (North Bihar). Sur. Rep. Cent. Inl. Fish Res. Inst. Barrackpore, 1: 24.
- David, A. (1963). Report on fisheries survey of river Gandak (North Bihar). Sur. Rep. Cent. Inl. Fish Res. Inst. Barrackpore, 1: 24.
- David, A., P. Ray, B.V. Govind, K.V. Rajgopal and R.K. Banerjee (1969). Limnology and fisheries of Tungbhadra reservoir, Bull Cent. Inl. Fish Res. Inst. Barrackpore, 13: 188.
- Desai, P.V. (1995). Water quality of Dudhsagar river of Dudhsagar (Gao), India. Poll Res. 14(4): 377-382.
- Drinking Water Specification: Is: 10500
- Dugan, P.R. (1972). Biochemical Ecology of Water Pollution. Plenum Press London, 159.
- Durfor, C. N., E. Becker (1964). Public water supplies of the 100 largest cities in the U.S. US Geol. Sur. Water Supply Paper, 1812: 364.
- Fresenius, W. Quentin, K. E. And Scheider, “Water Analysis – A Practical Guide To Physicochemical, Chemical And Microbiological Water Examination And Quality Assurance”, Springer Verlag, Pp. 804
- Gambhi, S.K. (1999). Physico-chemical and biological characteristics of water of Maithon Reservoir of D.V.C. Poll Res.,18(4): 541-544.
- Garg, V.K, R. Gupta, A. Malik and M. Pahwa (2002). Assessment of water quality of western Yamuna canal from Tajewala (Haryana) to Haiderpur treatment plant (Delhi). Indian J. of Env. Protection, 22(2): 191-196.
- Gyananath, G, S.V. Shewdiker and S. Samiuddin (2000). Water quality analysis of river Godavari during ‘Holi Mela’ at Nanded. Poll Res. 19(4): 673-674.
- Hem, J. D. 1985. Study And Interpretation Of Chemical Characteristics Of Natural Water, U.S.G.S. Water Supply Publication. Pp. 2254-2264.
- Herzog, D. J. (1996). Evaluating the potential impacts of mine wastes on ground and surface waters. Fuel and Energy Abstracts, 37(2): 139.
- Horne, R.A. (1978). The Chemistry of our Environment. Wiley Inter Science Pub. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Pejaver, M. Gurav - "Study of Water Quality of Jail and Kalwa Lake, Thane, Maharashtra", J. Aqua. Biol. Vol. 23(2), 44 -50, 2008.
- S. Islam, B. S. Ismail, G. M. Barzani, A. R. Sahibin and T. M. Ekhwan - " Hydrological Assessment and Water Quality Characteristics of Chini Lake, Pahang, Malaysia", American-Eurasian J. Agric. & Environ. Sci., 12 (6): 737-749, 2012.
- J. Puri, M. K. N. Yenkie, S. P. Sangal, N. V. Gandhare, G. B. Sarote and D. B. Dhanorkar - "Surface water (Lakes) quality assessment in Nagpur city (India) based on Water quality index (WQI)", Vol.4, No.1, 43-48 (2011).
- W. Gaikwad, V. V. Sasane - "Assessment of ground water quality in and around Lonar lake and possible water treatment", International Journal of Environmental Sciences, Volume 3, No 4, 2013.
- M. Khan, M. J. Jadhav, I. R. Ustad - "Physicochemical Analysis of Triveni Lake Water of Amravati District in (M.S.) India. Bioscience Discovery, 3(1):64-66, Jan. 2012.
- N. Thitame and G. M. Pondhe, - "Assessment of seasonal variation in physico-chemical characteristics and quality of Pravara River water for irrigation use in Sangamner, Dist Ahmednagar, Maharashtra", Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, J. Chem. Pharm. Res., 2(2): 316-320, 2010.
- Chandra, A. Singh and P. K. Tomar - "Assessment of Water Quality Values in Porur Lake Chennai, Hussain Sagar Hyderabad and Vihar Lake Mumbai, India", Chem Sci Trans., 1(3), 508-515, 2012.
- Hussaina, V. Maneb, S. Takdea, A.Pathanc, M. Farooquic - " Comparison between Treated and Untreated water so as to study water treatment plant of Ahmadpur Dist. Latur," International Journal of Modern Engineering Research (IJMER) www.ijmer.com, Vol.1, Issue2, pp- 564-569, ISSN: 2249-6645.
- Sharma, B.S. (1999). A study on water quality of river Yamuna at Agra. Indian J Environ Prot, 19(6): 440-441.
- Singh, K.P. and H.K. Parwana (1999). Groundwater pollution due to industrial wastewater in Punjab state and strategies for its control. Indian J Environ Prot, 19(4): 241-244.
- Singh, M. and K. C. Gupta (2004). Study on physico-chemical characteristics of the Yamuna river water. Indian J. of Env. Protection, 24(3): 182-186.
- Sinha, D. K., S. Saxena and R. Saxena (2004). Ram Ganga river water pollution at Moradabad –A physico-chemical study. Indian J. of Env. Protection, 24(1): 49-52.
- Srivastava, R. K. and S. Srivastava (2003). Assessment of water quality of river Gaur at Jabalpur. Indian J. of Env. Protection, 23(3): 282-285.
- stormwater- a case study. Water Science and Technology, 36 (8-9): 325-330.
- M. Heidtke, A. M. Asce and W. C. Sonzogni - "Water Quality Management for the Great Lakes", J. Water Resour. Plann. Manage. 112:48-63, 1986.
- Tiwari, T.N., S.C.Das and P.K.Bose (1986). Water quality index for the river Jhelum in Kashmir and its seasonal variation. Poll. Res., 5(1): 1-5.
- B. Y. Sheikh, P. R. Bhosale, B. N. Nagargoje - "Water Quality Assessment of Nagzari Dam of Maharashtra." Journal of Applied Technology in Environmental Sanitation, Volume 3, Number 3: 111-116, October 2013.
- Pradhan, M. Mohsin, B. H. Gaikwad - "Assessment of physico chemical parameters of Chilika Lake water", International Journal of Research in Environmental Science and Technology, 2(4): 101-103, 2012.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Jay G. Patel, Kuldip B. Patel, Jignesh M.Vasava, Mihir D. Ganvit, Nirav A. Chaudhari, "Study of Drinking Water Quality Supplied At Major Railway Stations in South Gujarat ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.675-680, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1624143.php