Dental plaque is a biofilm or mass of bacteria that grows on surface within the mouth. It is a sticky colorless deposit at first, but when it forms tartar it is brown or pale yellow that is commonly found between the teeth, front of teeth, behind teeth, on chewing surface, along the gumline,. A study was carried out to isolate microorganisms from patients with dental problems. Total 8 dental plaque samples were collected from Savitha dental clinic, Hyderabad, which showed the presence of both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. Titanium dioxide nanoparticle was synthesized and checked for its antimicrobial activity against dental plaque samples. TiO2 nanoparticles were then incorporated into some commercial toothpastes and checked against dental plaque causing organisms using commercial toothpaste as control. The activity was also checked using bulk TiO2. TiO2 nanoparticles incorporated into tooth paste showed enhanced activity compared to toothpaste alone. Antimicrobial activity of TiO2 synthesized by wet chemical method was compared against commercial TiO2 P23. It was observed that TiO2 nanoparticles synthesized by wet chemical method showed greater antimicrobial activity than commercial TiO2 nanoparticles and bulk oxide. Astringent mouthwash was prepared and TiO2 nanoaprticles were incorporated into it and the activity was compared.
Rimjhim, Anitha Thomas
Antimicrobial activity, Dental plaques, Nanoparticles, Titanium dioxide.
- K. J. Anusavice, “Dental Caries: Risk Assessment and Treatment Solutions for an Elderly Population,” Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry, Vol. 23, Suppl. 10, 2002, pp. 12-20.
- S. Y. Yoo, S. J. Park, D. k. Jeing, K. W. Kim, S. H. Lim, S. H. Lee, S. J. Choe, Y. H. Chang, I. S. Park and J. K. Kook, “Isolation and Characterization of the Mutans Streptococci from the Dental Plaques in Koreans,” The Journal of Microbiology, Vol. 45, No. 3, 2007, pp. 246-255.
- P. E. Kolenbrander, R. J. Palmer Jr., A. H. Rickard, N. S. Jakubovics, N. I. Chalmers and P. I. Diaz, “Bacterial Interactions and Successions during Plaque Development,” Periodontology, 2000, Vol. 42, No. 1, 2006, pp. 47-79. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0757.2006.00187.x
- Y. H. Li, N. Tang, M. B. Aspiras, P. C. Lau, J. H. Lee, R. P. Ellen and D. G. Cvitkovitch, “A Quorum-Sensing Signaling System Essential for Genetic Competence in Streptococcus mutans is Involved in Biofilm Formation,” Journal of Bacteriology, Vol. 184, No. 10, 2002, pp. 2699- 2708. doi:10.1128/JB.184.10.2699-2708.2002
- A. P. Roberts, G. Cheah, D. Ready, J. Pratten, M. Wilson and P. Mullany, “Transfer of TN916-Like Elements in Microcosm Dental Plaques,” Antimicrobial Agents Chemotherapy, Vol. 45, No. 10, 2001, pp. 2943-2946.
- Wolf H and Hassell T (2006). Color Atlas of Dental Hygiene, Thieme New York, 333 Seventh Avenue, New York, USA.
- Summitt J, R. J., Hilton T, Schwartz R. (2006). Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry. 4350 Chandler Drive, Hanover Park, Illinois.
- Tomasz M. Karpinsk University of Medical Sciences in Poznan Department of Medical Microbiology Wieniawskiego 3, str., 61 -71 2 Poznan, Poland
- Yanling Cai Antibacterial Dentl Adhesive through Photocatalysis of Titanium Dioxide
- Munson MA, Banerjee A, Watson TF, Wade WG. Molecular analysis of the microflora associated with dental caries. J Clin Microbiol. 2004; 42(7): 3023-3029.
- Chhour KL, Nadkarni MA, Byun R, Martin FE,Jacques NA, Hunter N. Molecular analysis of microbial diversity in advanced caries. J Clin Microbiol. 2005; 43(2): 843-849.
- Zhang H, Chen G Potent antibacterial activities of Ag/Tio2 nanocomposite powders synthesized by aone-potsol-gel method. Environ Sci Technol; 34(8): 2905-10, 2009.
- M. Shailaja Raj, Roselin.P, Antimicrobial activity of ZnO nanoparticles against Propionibacterium acnesInternational Journal of Pharma and Biosciences 2012(3)1.
- Anitha Thomas, M Shailaja Raj and Jagirdar Venkataramana – Antimicrobial activity of TiO2 nanoparticles against Microbial Isolates causing dental plaques : International Journal of Bioassays, Volume 3(6), 3106-3110. 2014
- M. Shailaja Raj and P. Roselin. “Comparative studies of synthesis, stability and antibacterial activity of zinc oxide nano-particles”. Int. J. Bioassays. 2013; 2 (6), 914-917. ISSN: 2278-778X.
- Keller R, Pedroso, MZ Ritchmann, R; R.Silva,RM “Occurrence of virulence- associated properties in Enterobacter cloaceae.” Infection and immunity . 66(2) : 645-9.
- Na Fei, liping Zhao, “ An opportunistic pathgogen isolated from the gut of an obese human causes obesity in germfree mice.” The ISME journal. Retrrived 21 April 2014.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Rimjhim, Anitha Thomas, "Analysis of Antimicrobial Activity of Titaniumdioxide Nanoparticles on Aerobic and Anaerobic Dental Isolates", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.815-822, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1624144.php