Image compression is the type of data compression on digital images. The main objective is to reduce redundancy of the image. In image compression, we do not only concentrate on reducing size but also concentrate on doing it without losing quality and information of image. The survey summarizes the major image compression techniques that maybe lossy and lossless, advantages, disadvantages and research possibilities. This paper attempts to give a review of run length coding, Huffman coding, DCT, fractal and Talbot effects. We discuss advantages and disadvantages of these algorithms.
R. Vijay Kumar Reddy, K. Prudvi Raju, M. Jogendra Kumar
Image compression,RLE,Huffman, DCT,Fractal,
- S.R Subramanya "Image compression techniques" IEEE 2000.
- Gaurav Vijayvargiya, Dr.Sanjay Silakari Dr.Rajeev Pandey"A Survey: Various Techniques of Image Compression" IJCSIS Vol. 11, No. 10, October 2013
- Sachin Dawan "a review of image compression and comparison of its algorithms" IJCET Vol.2, Issue 1, March 2011.
- Navrisham kaur "a colour image compression using pixel correlation and its comparison with existing algorithms" internation journal of computer trends and technology, volume 4,issue 2, 2013.
- Suryender kumar, sonit sukhraj singh, "image compression techniques for medical images" IJREAS, Volume 2,issue 2, febuary 2012.
- Andrew B. Watson "image compression using discrete cosine transform" mathematica journal, 4(1), 1994,pp 81-88
- Ahmed, N.,Natarajan, T. Rao, K.R.,"Discrete cosine transform", IEEE Trans. Computers, vol.C-23, Jan. 1974, pp.90-93.
- M.F. Barnsley, L.P.Hurd, "Fractal Image Compression",AK Peters,ltd. Wellesley, Massachusetts,1993.
- Y.Fisher, Editor, "fractal image compression: theory and applications", Springer-Verlag,1994.
- A.E. Jacquin, "image coding based on a fractal theory of iterated contractive image transformations". IEEE Trans. On image processing, vol.1, pp. 18-30, 1992.
- Mohamed Amine Jebali, Habib Hamam, "Talbot effect based Image compression",European journal of scientific research ISSN 1450-216X Vol.36 no. 3(2009), pp. 326-335.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
R. Vijay Kumar Reddy, K. Prudvi Raju, M. Jogendra Kumar, "Review on Image Compression Techniques", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.95-99, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162416.php