Seed storage experiment was carried out to investigate the most appropriate period of storing and preserving soybean seed quality under ambient conditions. Germination percentage, seed vigour, moisture content, 1000 seed weight, protein and oil contents were assessed before storage, three and six months (90 and 180 days) after storage. The results indicated that soybean seeds without storage recorded a high germination percentage and vigour than those stored for three and six months. Generally, germinability reduced by 17 % and 38 % at three and six months of storage respectively than seeds not stored. Seed vigour also reduced by 23 % and 71 % at three and six months of storage than seeds without storage. Moisture content and 1000 seed weight increased under ambient storage conditions. Temperature and relative humidity readings were high and fluctuated under ambient storage conditions, and these conditions contributed in increasing the moisture and 1000 seed weight. The percentage oil content of the seeds reduced in storage by 0.37 % and 0.44 % at three and six months of storage than seeds not stored. However, protein content of the seeds increased at three and six months in storage by 0.23 % and 1.77 % as compared to seeds not stored.
O. T. Isaac, E. A. Seweh, S. Apuri, B. K. Banful and S. Amoah
Soybean, Seed, Storage Period, Seed Quality.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC) International. (2007). Official methods of analysis, 18th edition, 2005; Current through revision 2, 2007. AOAC, Gaithersburg, MD.
- Adu-Dapaah, H.K., Asibuo J.Y., Asafo-Adjei. B., Dashiel, K., Amoah, S., Asafu-Adjei, J.N. and Addo, J.K. (2005). Breeding Methodology, Botanical and Agronomic Characteristics of four Groundnut, Two Cowpea and two Soybean Genotypes Proposed for Release. Pp. 42-60.
- Asafo-Adjei, B., Ansah I.O.O., Asuboah, R.A., Dapaah, H., Harruna M., and Oti-Boateng, C. (2005). CSIR (CRI and SARI) and MOFA. Soybean Production Guide.
- Food Crops Development Project, Ghana. Pp 1-39.
- Balesevic-Tubic, S., Tatic, M., Hrustic, M., Miladinovic, J., Maksimovic, L., (2007). The influence of aging process on germination and seedling growth of sunflower seed. In: Proceedings of the First Joint PSU-UNS International Conference on BioScience: Food, Agriculture, and the Environment, Thailand: 198-202.
- Bothast, R. J. (1978). Fungal Deterioration and Related Phenomena in Cereals, Legumes and Oilseeds. U. S. Department of Agriculture, Peoria, IL 61604. Pp. 210 – 226.
- Cantliffe, J. D. (1998). Seed Germination for Transplants. Florida Agricultural Experiment Station Journal Series, N-01421. Horticulture Technology 8 (4).
- Chin, H. F. (1988). Storage and Testing of Forage seeds in the Tropics. Online at www.fao.org.AG/AGP.doc.PUBLC.pdf.
- Daun, J. K. (1995). Seed Analysis. In: Brassica Oilseeds. Production and Utilization. (Eds) D.S. Kimber and McGregor, D. I. CAB international. Pp 245.
- Fabrizius, E., Tekroni, D. M., Egli, D. B. and Rucker, M. (1999). Evaluation of viability model for prediction soybean seed germination during warehouse storage. Crop Science, 39: 194-201.
- FAO (1981). Cereal and grain-legume seed processing. Technical Guidelines. No.21.
- Freistritzer, W.P., Vock, H. A., Kelly, F. and Ziger, E. K. (Eds). FAO. Rome. Pp 3, 33-43, 51-53.
- Gokhale, D. (2009). Post harvest Seed Storage/handling. Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture. STAK Conference, Nairobi. Pp. 1-11.
- ISTA (2007). International Rules for Seed Testing. International Seed Testing Association, Bassersdorf, Switzerland.
- Kausar M., Mahmood, T. Basra, S.M.A. and Arshad, M. (2009). Invigoration of low vigor sunflower hybrids by seed priming. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 11: 521-528.
- McCormack, H. J. (2004). Seed Processing and Storage. Principles and Practices of Seed harvesting and storage: An organic seed production manual for seed growers in the mid-Atlantic and Southern US. Pp. 9-17.
- Mahesha, C. R., Channaveeraswami, A. S., Kurdikeri, M. B., Shekhargouda, M. and Merwade, M. N. (200lb). Storability of sunflower seeds harvested at different maturity dates. Seed Res. 29(1): 98-102.
- Narayan, R., Chauhan, G. S. and Verma, N. S. (1988a). Changes in the quality of soybean during storage. Part 1- Effect of storage on some physic-chemical properties of soybean. Food Chemistry, Vol. 27, No.1, pp. 12- 23.
- Nkang, A. and Umho, E. O. (1996). Six month storability of five soybean cultivars as influenced by stage of harvest, storage temperature and relative humidity. Seed Science and Technol., 25: 93-99.
- Nugraha, U.S. and Soejadi, S. (1991). Evaluation on seed storability on soybean genotypes. Indon. J. Crop Sci. 6: 1-10.
- Pratt, P., Bolin, P. and Godsey, C. (Eds.). (2009). Soybean Production Guide. Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service, Division of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Oklahoma State University. Pp. 12-114.
- SARI (2012). Soybean: A production guide for northern Ghana. Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa Soil Health Project, 2009 SHP 005. Pp. 4-7.
- Sauvant, D., Perez, J. M., and Tran, G. (Ed.). (2004). Tables of composition and nutritional value of feed materials, INRA, France. Quoted from: Fatty Acid Composition of Various Soybean Products. Ivanov D. S., J. D. Levi?, and S. A. Sredanovi?. Journal of the Institute for Food Technology in Novi Sad, Bulevar cara Lazara 1, Serbia.
- Shelar, V. R., Shaikh, R. S. and Nikam, A. S. (2008). Soybean Seed Quality During Storage: A Review. Agric. Rev., 29 (2): 125 – 131.
- Shelar, V. R. (2007). Strategies to Improve the Seed Quality And Storability of Soybean – A Review. Seed Technology Research Unit (NSP), Mathtme Phule Krighi Vidyprth, Rahuri 413- 722, India. Agricultural Review, 28 (3): 188-196, 2007.
- Shelar, V.R. and Shaikh, N. (2002). Soybean seed quality during storage. Seed Technology research. Agricultural Review, 29 (2):125-131.
- Sisman, C., and Delibas, L. (2004). Storing sunflower seed and quality losses during storage. Journal of Central European Agriculture, 4: 239-250.
- Usberti, R., Roberts, E. H. and Ellis, R. H. (2006). Prediction of cottonseed longevity. Pesq. Agropec.bras., Brasilia, 41: 1435-1441.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
O. T. Isaac, E. A. Seweh, S. Apuri, B. K. Banful and S. Amoah, "Effect of Periods of Seed Storage on Seed Quality Characteristics of Three Soybean (Glycine max
(L) Merrill) Varieties", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.823-830, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1624178.php