Moisture-dependent engineering properties of seeds are important in the design of postharvest equipment for their handling and processing. In this study, the physical properties of shea kernels were determined as a function of moisture content in the range of 6.24 to 25% (d.b.) using standard techniques. The results showed that with increasing moisture content, the major, intermediate, minor, arithmetic mean diameter, geometric mean diameter, sphericity, aspect ratio, true density and porosity all increased non-linearly from 18.33±0.81 to 31.20±1.21, 10.77±1.07 to 22.50±0.87 and 9.33±0.81 to 16.17±1.07mm, 12.81±0.73 to 23.29±1.00mm 12.22±0.81 to 22.40±1.02mm, 66.68±4.10 to 71.79±1.51%, 58.73±5.24 to 70.07±1.51%, 1.04±0.10 to 1.54g/cm3 and 44.67 to 72.37% respectively as moisture content increased from 6.24 to 25%. Surface area, 1000-kernel mass, volume and filling angle of repose all increased linearly from 470.47±61.64 to 1578.53±145.83mm2, 3.63±0.15 to 11.20±0.60kg, 1.46±0.28 to 8.95±0.13cm3 and 35.47 to 40.890 respectively at the same moisture range. Also, static co-efficient of friction on plywood, galvanise steel, stainless steel and glass increased linearly from 0.43±0.01 to 1.78±0.02, 0.37±0.01 to 1.39±0.03, 0.28±0.03 to 1.12±0.01 and 0.21±0.01 to 0.93±0.01 respectively. Finally, bulk density decreased non-linearly from 0.78±0.01 to 0.35±0.06g/cm3. Data was analysed using SPSS (Version 16) and Microsoft Excel (2010) and summarised into means and standard deviations. Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) was carried out using SPSS (version 16) to assess the variation of each parameter within the moisture range. Differences in the means were compared using Duncan Multiple Range Test (P=0.05). Regression analyses were conducted to establish the relationship between the physical properties of shea kernel and moisture content. Differences in the means of most parameters determined were statistically significant within the moisture range investigated.
E. A Seweh, S. Apuri, J. O. Darko, A. Addo, P. A. Asagadunga, S. D. Agyegelone
Aspect Ratio, Bulk, Repose, Co-Efficient, Density, Moisture, Porosity, Shea Kernel, Sphericity.
- Maydell H., von.(1990). Butyrospermum parkii (G.Don) Kotschy 202-207. Trees and shrubs of the Sahel: Their characteristics and uses. English text revised J. Brase. Eschborn, Germany: Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ).
- Maranz, S. and Weisman, Z. (2003). Evidence of indigenous selection and distribution of the shea trees (Vitellaria paradoxa) and is important significance to prevailing parkland savanna tree patterns in Sub Saharan Africa north of equator. Journal of Biogeography 30: 1505-1516.
- Afonso Junior P. C., (2001). Aspectos físicos, fisiológicose de qualidade do café em função da secageme do armazenamento (Coffee physical, physiological aspects and coffee quality in function of drying and storage). Doctorate Thesis in Agricultural Engineering, Agricultural Engineering Department, Federal University of Viçosa, Viçosa, MG, Brazil. 351.
- Ghadge P. N., Vairagar, P. R. and Prasad K (2008a). Some physical properties of chickpea split (Cicer Aretino L.). Agricultural Engaineering International: the CIGR Ejournal. Manuscript FP 07 039 Vol X January, 2008.
- Aviara N.A., Oluwole F.A., Haque M.A., 2005b. Effect of moisture content on some physical properties of sheanut (Butyrospernum Paradoxum). International Agrophysics, 19: 193–198.
- Bart-Plange A., Addo, A., Akowuah, J. O. and Ampah, J. (2012). Some moisture dependent compressive properties of shea kernel (Vitellaria paradoxa L). Canadian Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences 6(3):2113-2119.
- Seweh E.A., S. Apuri, I. G. Dukuh and I. Osei Tutu (2015). Some Engineering Properties of Shea kernel in Ghana, International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, 6 (8) -2015. 1717-1727.
- Seweh E. A., S., Apuri, I. G. Dukuh and I. Osei Tutu (2015b). Comparative Study of Some Engineering Properties of Shea Kernel from Different Ecological Zones of Ghana, International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, 6 (9). 1686-1693.
- (1984). Official methods of analysis. 14th edition. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington D.C.
- Balasubramanian S., and Viswanathan, R. (2010). Influence of moisture content on physical properties of minor millets. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 47(3): 279–284.
- Davies R. M., and El-Okene A.M. (2009). Moisture- dependent physical of Soybeans. International. Agrophysics, 23: 299-303.
- Singh K. K., and Goswami, T. K. (1996). Physical properties of cumin seed. Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research (64): 93-98.
- Galedar M.N., Jafari, A.and Tabatabaeefa, A. (2008). Some physical properties of wild pistachio nut and kernel as a function of moisture content. Journal of Physics and Environmental and Agricultural Sciences 22: 117-124.
- Mohsenin N. N., (1980). Physical Properties of Plant and Animal Materials. Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, New York. 51-87.
- Koocheki A., S.M.A. Razavi, E. Milani, T.M. Moghadan, M. Abedini, Alamatiyan, S. and Izadikhah, S. (2007). Physical properties of watermelon seed as a function of moisture content and variety. International Agrophysics 21: 349-359.
- Maduako J.N., and. Faborode, M. O. (1990). Some physical properties of cocoa pods in relation to primary processing. Ife Journal of Technology, 2: 1-7.
- Arthur M. A., (2009). Moisture-Dependent Physical Properties of Cowpea. Unpublished B.Sc. Thesis, Department of Agricultural and Environmental Engineering, Niger Delta University, Bayelsa State. 64.
- Stroshine, R. (1998). Physical Properties of Agricultural Materials and Food Products. Course Manual,Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana.
- Kaleemullah, S. and Gunasekar, J.J. (2002). Moisture dependent physical properties of arecanut kernels. Biosystems. Engineering. 52:331-338.
- Davies R. M, & Zibokere D S. (2011). Effect of moisture content on some physical and mechanical properties of three varieties of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata (L) Walp). Agricultural Engineering International: CIGR Journal, Manuscript No.1700. Vol. 13, No.1, 2011.
- Ampah J., Bart-Plange, A. and Dzisi, K. A. (2012). Effect of rewetting on selected physical properties of ‘Asontem’ cowpea variety, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 7 (4): 389-395.
- Tavakoli H., Rajabipour A. and Mohtasebi S. S. (2009). Moisture-dependent some engineering properties of Soybean Grains”. Agricultural Engineering International: the CIGR Ejournal. Manuscript 1110. Vol. XI. February, 2009.
- Deshpande S. D., Bal S. and Ojha T. P. 1993. Physical properties of soybean. Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research. (56): 89-98.
- ltuntas E. and Yildiz M. (2007). Effect of moisture content on some physical and mechanical properties of faba bean (Vicia faba L.) grains. Journal of Food Engineering, 78: 174-183.
- Sayed H. P., Fatemeh R. A. Iraj B. and Mohammad R. A. (2011). Effect of moisture content on some engineering properties of peanut varieties. Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment 9 (3&4): 326-331.
- Theertha D.P., J.Alice.R.P.Sujeetha, C.V.Kavitha Abirami and K. Alagusundaram (2014). Effect of moisture content on physical and gravimetric properties of black gram (Vigna mungo l.) International Journal of Advancements in Research & Technology, 3, (3) 97-104.
- Wang B. Li D., Wang L., Huang Z., Zhang L., Chen X.D. and Mao Z. (2007). Effect of moisture content on the physical properties of fibered flaxseed. International Journal of Food Engineering 3 (5).
- Ozturk I., Kara M., Elkoca E. and Ercisli S. (2009). Physico-chemical grain properties of new common bean cv. ‘Elkoca 05’ Scientific Research and Essay. 4(2): 88-93.
- Tunde-Akintunde T.Y. and Akintunde B.O. (2007). Effect of moisture content and variety on selected properties of beniseed: Agricultural Engineering International: CIGR E-Journal 9: 1-13.
- Bart-Plange A. Addo A. and Dzisi K. A. (2006). Effects of Drying and Rewetting on Some Dimensional and Mass Properties of ‘Dorke’ Maize Variety. Journal of Ghana Science Association. 8(1): 89-96.
- Igbozulike A. O. and Aremu A. K. (2009). Moisture dependent physical properties of Garcinia kola seeds. Journal of Agricultural Technology. 5(2): 239-248.
- Gharibzahedi S. M. T., Mousavi, S. M., Moayedi A., Garavand, A. T. and Alizadeh S. M. (2010). Moisture dependent engineering properties of black cumin (Nigella sativa L.) seed. Agricultural Engineering International: CIGR. 12(1).
- Mohsenin N. N., (1970). Plant and Animal Materials (physical characteristics). Gordon and Breach Science Publisher, New York. 51-83.
- Nimkar P. M. and Chattopadhyay, P. K. (2001). Some physical properties of green gram. Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research 80: 183–189.
- Aydin C. (2006). Some engineering properties of peanut and kernel. Journal of Food Engineering 79: 810–816.
- Ozarslan C. (2002). Some physical properties of cotton seed. Biosystems Engineering 83: 169–174.
- Adejumo O. I.. Alfa, A. A. and Mohammed. A. (2007).Physical properties of Kano white variety of Bambara groundnut. Nigerian Academic Forum 12(1): 68-77.
- Al-Mahasneh M. A., and Rababah, T. M. (2007). Effect of moisture content on some physical properties of green wheat. Journal of Food Engineering.79: 1467–1473.doi: 10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2006.04.045.
- Seifi M. R., and Alimardani, R. (2010). The moisture content effect on some physical and mechanical properties of corn (Sc 704), Journal of Agricultural Science. 2 (4).
- New Zealand Journal Crop and Horticultural Science, 35(4), 423–433.
- Kasap A., and Altunta?, E. (2006). Physical properties of monogerm sugarbeet (Beta vulgaris var. altissima) seeds. New Zealand Journal of Crop Horticulture Science 34, 311–318.
- Pradhan R.C., S.N. Naik, N. Bhatnagar, and S.K. Swain (2008). Moisture-dependent physical properties of Karanja (Pongamia pinnata) kernel. Industrial Crops and Products 28(2): 155-161.
- Garnayak, D. K., Pradhan, R. C., Naik, S. N., & Bhatnagar, N. (2008). Moisture-dependent physical properties of Jatropha seed (Jatropha curcas L.). Indian Journal of CropProducts., 27, 123-129.
- Yalçin ?., C. Özarsalan, and T. Akba?. (2007). Physical properties of pea (Pisum sativum) seed. Journal of Food Engineering, 79(2), 731-735.
- Altunta?, E. and H. Demirtola (2000). Effect of moisture content on physical properties of some grain legume seeds.
- Baumler E., Cuniberti, A. Nolasco, S. M. and Riccobene, I. C. (2006). Moisture dependent physical and compression properties of safflower seed. Journal of Food Engineering. 72:134-140.
- Olalusi Bolaji A.P., O.T and Adebayo S.S. (2009). Some Engineering Properties of Tiger Nut. Journal of 3rd International Conference of WASAE and 9th International Conference of NIAE. 244-248.
- McCabe, W.L., J.C. Smith and P. Harriot, 1986. Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Karimi M. K., Kheiralipour, A. Tabatabaeefar, G.M. Khoubakht, M. Naderi and K. Heidarbeigi (2009). The Effect of Moisture Content on Physical Properties of Wheat, Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 8 (1): 90-95.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
E. A Seweh, S. Apuri, J. O. Darko, A. Addo, P. A. Asagadunga, S. D. Agyegelone, "Effect of Moisture on Some Physical Properties of Shea (Vitellaria Paradoxa L) Kernels", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.831-839, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1624179.php