Stem cells are versatile in the bodies which are able to both reproduce themselves and to produce more specialized cells. As such, they are of great potential values in repairing and regenerating damaged cells and tissues. Many different kinds of stem cells have been discovered. The most common are embryonic, foetal and adult stem cells. Stem cell research has the potential to provide an increased understanding of development and differentiation, as well as leading to treatments and cures for many diseases. They are important to the future of medicine and public health because with adequate research, stem cells have the potential to treat degenerative conditions through transplanting human stem cells into patients. With sufficient development of stem cell medicine, chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and Parkinson’s disease will be effectively managed. Embryonic stem cell (ESC) research has been a source of ethical, legal, and social controversy which has slowed the pace of stem cell science and shaped many aspects of its subsequent development.
Yadav Prasad Joshi, Russell Kabir, Parbati Upreti, Eun-Whan Lee, Konstantinos Papadopoulos, Nahida Ferdous
Stem Cells, Importance, Public Health, Impact
- Thomson J A, Itskovitz-Eldor J, Shapiro SS, Waknitz M A, Swiergiel JJ, Marshall VS, et al, Blastocyst embryonic stem cell lines derived from human. Science, 282: 1145–1147, 1998.
- Popular Issues All About: where do stem cells come from (2002-2012). Available from: http://www.allaboutpopularissues.org/where-do-stem-cells-come-from-faq.htm
- Lucas J M, Stem cell based treatments and novel considerations for conscience clause legislation. Indiana Heal L Rev, 471, 2010.
- Cord Blood Bank & Stem Cell. Brief history of stem cell research. Available from: http://cord-blood-bank.weebly.com/stem-research-history.html, 2009.
- Andrews P, Matin M, Bahrami A, Damjanov I, Gokhale P, Draper J, Embryonic stem (ES) cells and embryonal carcinoma (EC) cells: opposite sides of the same coin .Biochem Soc Trans 33: 1526 –1530, 2005.
- Evans M, Kaufman M, Establishment in culture of pluripotent cells from mouse embryos. Nature, 292:154–156, 1981.
- Ariff B, Mark R,History and perspective of stem cell research. Best Pra Res CliObsGyneco, 18: 827 – 842, 2004.
- Medical News Today (2012).a Stem cell model developed for hereditary disease. Available at: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/251552.php. Accessed on 17 October 2012.
- Medical News Today (2012b). Powerful technique for multiplying adult stem cells may aid therapies. Retrieved from: http:// www.medicalnewstoday.com. Accessed on 23 January 2006.
- Kathleen L, Wallace S, Emerging regulatory Issues for human stem cell medicine. Geno SociPoli 1, 54-73, 2005
- Advance Science Serving Society (2011). AAAS policy brief: Stem cell research. Available at: http://www.aaas.org/spp/cstc/briefs/stemcells/index.shtml. Accessed on 12 August 2011.
- Swan M (2012). Exciting progress in commercialization of stem cell therapies: Ethical Technology. Available at: http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/5431. Posted on 11 March 2012.
- Robin R. Young CFA (2008). Robin Young consulting group Inc. and RRY publications LLC, stem cell analysis and market forecasts 2006-2016. Available at: http://www.assureimmune.com/english/adult-stem-bennefit.htm. Posted on 8 April 2008.
- Stem Cells and the Future of Regenerative Medicine, The national academy press by committee on the biological and biomedical applications of stem cell research, Board on life sciences, National research council, Board on neuroscience and behavioral health, Institute of medicine, Page 41, 2002.
- Bethesda, MD (2009). In stem cell information. National institutes of health, U.S. Department of health and human service. Available at: http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/2001report/2001report. Accessed on 30 October 2012.
- Eterna MD. Stem cells. Medical Rejuvenation Centre. Geriatrics (2007 – 2012). Available at: http://www.geriatricsmd.com/index.php.
- com (2008). Stem Cell Research. Available from: http://explorable.com/stem-cell-pros-and-cons.html. Retrieved on 30 October 2012.
- Genetic Science Learning Center (2012). The stem cell debate: Is it over? GeneticsTM : Genetic science learning Center. Available at: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/tech/stemcells/scissues/. Accessed on 6 August 2012.
- Pillai P (2011). Advantages and disadvantages of stem cell research. Buzzle: intelligent life on the web. Available at: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-stem-cell-research.html.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Yadav Prasad Joshi, Russell Kabir, Parbati Upreti, Eun-Whan Lee, Konstantinos Papadopoulos, Nahida Ferdous, "Potential Impact and Controversy of Stem Cells in Public Health ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.09-14, September-October-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1624216.php