Glass is needed in several forms in today’s life. Its life is limited, and after use it is either stored into sharp edged or sent to landfills. As we know glass is non-biodegradable, landfills does not recommend any friendly environment solution. Since glass is non-biodegradable, landfills do not provide an environment friendly solution. In India as a most developing country facing shortage of post consumer's disposal waste site and it's become very serious problems. Hence, there is strong need to utilize waste glasses. The aim of the present experimental investigation was to use waste glass powder as a replacement of cement to assess the Compressive, Split tensile Strength and Flexural strength for M30 grades of cement concrete and durability, pozzolanic activity of fine glass powder in concrete, compare its performance with percentage, size of glass powder and also perform alkalinity test on waste glass powder. The results found that 15% addition of GLP increase the higher compressive strength and flexural Strength, replacement of cement , for study of size effect of glass powder i.e. Initial strength gain is very less due to addition of glass powder on 7th day but it increases on the 28th day, with addition of glass powder increase the higher compressive strength and flexural Strength, replacement of glass powder in cement by 7, 14, 21& 28 days of curing and result was found that 39.2 N/mm2, 41.33 N/mm2, 45.01 N/mm2, 49.18 N/mm2, 5.39 N/mm2, and 5.57 N/mm2, 5.4 N/mm2 and 5.67 N/mm2 respectively ,and also glass powder size less than 90 micron is very effective in enhancement of strength. It is also found that the average pH values 12.59 observed from all the different samples of alkalinity test showed that the samples tested found to be more alkaline nature and hence more resistant towards corrosion. The alkalinity test of GLP performed good results on adding concrete.
Gulezehra Hussain, Gajendra Verma
Waste Glass Powder, Alkalinity Test, Compressive Strength, Split Tensile Strength, Flexural Strength, Aspect Ratio
- Arora, R. “Determination of Compressive and Flexural Strength of Concrete Using Waste Glass Powder “International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT) Volume 19 Number 3 – Jan 2015
- Sharma, A “ Glass Powder – A Partial Replacement for Cement” Acropolis Institute of Technology and Research, Indore (M.P.), India “International Journal Of Core Engineering & Management (IJCEM) Volume 1, Issue 11, February 2015
- Subramani, T. and Sankar Ram, S.B. “Experimental Study on Concrete Using Cement With Glass Powder” Department of Civil Engineering, VMKV Engg. College, Vinayaka Missions University, Salem, India Vol. 05, Issue||V3|| PP 43-53” 05 (May. 2015)
- Sezhiyan, T. and Rajkumar, R. “Study on the properties of high strength concrete using glass powder and lathe Scrap” Kongu engineering College, Perundurai. Volume 3, Special Issue 2, April 2014”
- Jostin,P., Jose ,S., Suganya and Priya, B. “ Use Of Glass Powder As Fine Aggregate In High Strength Concrete” “R.V.S Technical Campus”, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India. *2&3M.E Construction management and engineering “R.V.S Technical Campus ”Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India. Vol 2 Issue 7 july-2014
- Shekhawat, B.S. and Agarwal ,V. “Utilisation of Waste Glass Powder in Concrete” MMU, Mullana Ambala, Haryana, India Vol. 3, Issue 7, July 2014
- Raju,S. and Kumar, P.R. “Effect of Using Glass Powder in Concrete” ISSN (Online) : 2319 – 8753,ISSN (Print) : 2347 - 6710 Volume 3, Special Issue 5, July 2014.
- Tajne, K.M. and Bhandari, P.S. “Effect of Glass Fibre on Ordinary Concrete” Department of Civil Engineering, Priyadarshini College of Engineering, Nagpur, ISSN: 2319-8753 Vol. 3, Issue 11, November 2014
- Vasudevan,G. and Pillay,G.K. “Performance of Using Waste Glass Powder In Concrete As Replacement Of Cement” Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment, Lecturer,Tunku Abdul Rahman University College ,Malaysia Volume-02, Issue-2012, pp-175-181”
- Chikhalikar, S.M. and Tande, S.N.“An experimental investigation on characteristic properties of fibre reinforced concrete containing waste glass powder as pozzolana”37th Conference on Our World in Concrete & Structures 29-31 Singapore August 2012,
- Matosa, A.M. and Sousa, J.“Durability of mortar using waste glass powder as cement replacement” Coutinho36:205–215 Print version ISSN 1516-1439 On-line version ISSN 1980-5373 Epub Feb 19, 2016
- Mokarem, D.W. and Sharp,S.R. “Influence of Changes in Water-to-Cement Ratio, Alkalinity, Concrete Fluidity,Voids, and type of Reinforcing Steel on the Corrosion Potential of Steel in Concrete” Final Report VCTIR 14-R 2011.
- Mix Design, Bureau of Indian Standards, “IS 10262-2009, Recommended Guidelines for Concrete Mix Design” Standards, New Delhi, India, 2009.
- Dewah, H. A. F., Austin, S. A. And Maslehuddin, M. “Effect of cement alkalinity non pore solution chemistry and chloride-induced reinforcement corrosion” Effect of cement alkalinity on pore solution chemistry and chloride-induced re-inforcement corrosion. ACI materials journal, 99 (3), pp. 227-233” 2002
- Shayan, A.“ Value-added Utilisation of Waste Glass in Concrete” Chief Research Scientist ARRB Transport Research Vermont South Vic Aust. IABSE Symposium Melbourne 2002
- Jangid, B. and Saoji, A.C. “Comparative study of waste glass powder as the partial replacement of cement in concrete production-A Laboratory Investigation and Communication” ISSN: 2321-8169 Volume: 3 Issue: 2002
- Grade Ordinary Portland Cement “IS 8112:1989, Specification (First Revision), Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India, 1989”
- Patil, D.M. and Sangle,K.K “Experimental Investigation Of Waste Glass Powder As Partial Replacement Of Cement In Concrete” ISSN: 2231 –5721, Volume-2, Issue-1, 2013
- Kumar, G.V., Vishaliny, H. and Govindarajulu, D. “Studies on Glass Powder as Partial Replacement of Cement in Concrete Production” ISSN 2250-2459, ISO 9001:2008 Certified Journal, Volume 3, Issue 2, February 201.
- “Shetty M.S., (2006)."Concrete Technology Theory and Practice" S.Chand and Company Ltd., New Delhi.Web References:http://www.ijetae.com.
- IS 383(1970) Indian Standard Specification for Coarse and Fine Aggregates From Natural Sources For Concrete.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Gulezehra Hussain, Gajendra Verma , "Experimental Investigation on Glass Powder as Partial Replacement of Cement for M-30 Concrete", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.846-853, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1624218.php