In this paper, an experimental study has been carried out to study the effects of volute tongue clearance and rotational speed on performance of backward curved blades centrifugal blower. The experiments are performed in the wide range of rotational speeds varying from 1500, 2000, 2500 and 2800 rpm with different volute tongue clearance blowers of 6%, 8%, 10% and 12.5 % of impeller diameter are used for experimentations. The experiments are performed with respective Indian standard IS4894:1987. To study the performance parameters flow rate, total pressure, shaft power and efficiency of the blowers. The aim of many different experimental tests is to validate whether the effects of different volute tongue clearance modifications and impeller speed to blower performance and to find a good volute tongue clearance and impeller speed matching to increase the performance of centrifugal blower. The results show that the volute tongue clearance and impeller speed has a significant effect on the performance of centrifugal blower.
Nitin S. Jadhav, S. R. Patil
Centrifugal Blower, Impeller Speed, Performance, Volute Tongue Clearance
- Fan handbook, Selection, Application and Design. Frank P. Bleier. (1998). Chapter no.7. pp. 7.1-7.45.
- Sheam-Chyun Lin, Ming-Lun Tsai, “An integrated performance analysis for a backward-inclined centrifugal fan”, Computers & fluids. (2012, Dec). 56. pp. 24–38.
- Qi Datong, Mao Yijun, Liu Xiaoliang, Yuan Minjian, “Experimental study on the noise reduction of an industrial forward curved blade centrifugal fan”, Applied acoustic, 2009, pp. 1042-1050.
- R. Dong, S. Chu, J. Katz, “Effect of modification of tongue and impeller geometry on unsteady flow, pressure fluctuations, and noise in a centrifugal pump”, The international gas turbine institute, 1997, Vol. 119.
- Yew-Wah Wong, Weng-Kong Chan, and Wei Hu, “Effects of tongue position and base circle diameter on the performance of a centrifugal blood pump”, International center for artificial organs and transplantation, (2007, Dec) , Vol.31, pp.639-645.
- Chen-Kang Huang, Mu-En Hsieh, “Performance Analysis and Optimized Design of Backward-Curved Airfoil Centrifugal Blowers”, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, (2009, May), Volume 1, Number 3.
- O. P. Singh, Rakesh Khilwani, T. Sreenivasulu, M. Kannan, “Parametric study of centrifugal fan performance: experiments and numerical simulation”, International Journal of Advances in Engineering & Technology, (2011, May). Vol. 1,Issue 2,pp.33-50
- Sandra Velarde-suarez, Rafael ballsteros-Tajadura, Carlos Santo aria-Morros, “Reduction of aerodynamic tonal noise of a forward curved centrifugal fan by modification of the volute tongue geometry”, Applied acoustics, 2006, pp. 225- 232.
- W. Neise, “Noise reduction in centrifugal fan: A literature survey”, Journal of sound and vibration, 1975, pp. 375-405.
- W. Neise, “Review of noise reduction methods for centrifugal fans”, Journal of engineering for industry, 1982, Vol.104. pp. 151-160.
- William A. Smith, James K. O’Malley, “Reducing blade passage noise in centrifugal fans”, American society of heating, refrigeration, and air conditioning engineers transactions, 1974, Part II. Vol. 80. pp. 45-51.
- K. H. Shah, “unified design and comparative performance evaluation of forward and backward curved Radial tipped centrifugal fan”, (ICME2003) 26- 28 December 2003.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Nitin S. Jadhav, S. R. Patil, "Effects of Volute Tongue Clearance and Rotational Speed on Performance of Centrifugal Blower ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.261-266, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162431.php