Modal analysis is used to determine the inherent dynamic characteristics of a system in forms of natural frequencies, damping factors and mode shapes. These parameters are important in the design of a system for dynamic loading conditions. Conventionally, modal analysis is performed with specific commercial tools. In this research paper the modal analysis of involute helical gear pair is carried out using finite element analysis tool ANSYS16.0. Gear noise and vibration is a major problem in many power transmission applications this problem becomes more significant in applications with higher operating speeds, where there is vibratory excitation which is related to the gear transmission error. The goal of modal analysis in this research paper is to determine the natural mode shapes and frequencies of the present helical gear pair and to comparatively analyse with frequencies of the geometrically modified asymmetric helical gear pair during free vibration as well as in pre-stress condition.
Rahul V. Borade, S. V. Kshirsagar
Asymmetric Gear, Helical Gear, Modal Analysis, Mode shape.
- Ankur Saxena, Anand Pareya and Manoj Chouksey, “Study of Modal Characteristics of a geared rotor system”, Procedia Technology 23 ( 2016 ) 225 – 231
- Alexander Kapelevich, “Geometry and design of involute spur gears with asymmetric teeth”, Mechanism and Machine Theory, vol. 35, pp. 117-130, 2000.
- N. L. Pedersen, “Improving bending stress in spur gears using asymmetric gears and shape optimization”, Mechanism and Machine Theory, vol. 45, pp. 1707–1720, 2010.
- Fatih Karpat, Stephen Ekwaro-Osire, Kadir Cavdar and Fatih C. Babalik, “Dynamic analysis of involute spur gears with asymmetric teeth”, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 50, pp. 1598–1610, oct 2008.
- S. Shanmugasundaram, M. Kumaresan and N. Muthusamy, “Effects of pressure angle and tip relief on the life of speed increasing gearbox: a case study”, Springer Plus, vol. 3, pp. 746, 2014.
- Santosh S. Patil, Saravanan Karuppanan, Ivana Atanasovska and Azmi Abdul Wahab, “Contact stress analysis of helical gear pairs, including frictional coefficients”, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 85, pp. 205–211, may 2014.
- P. Marimuthu and G. Muthuveerappan, “ Design of asymmetric normal contact ratio spur gear drive through direct design to enhance the load carrying capacity”, Mechanism and Machine Theory, vol. 96, pp. 22–34, 2016.
- YumeiHua, Yimin Shao, Zaigang Chen and Ming J. Zuo, “Transient meshing performance of gears with different modification coefficients and helical angles using explicit dynamic FEA”, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, vol. 25, pp. 1786–1802, 2011.
- Kahraman, A., H. N. Ozguven, D. R. Houser and J. J. Zakrajsek (1992). Dynamic analysis of geared rotors by finite elements. Journal of Mechanical Design. 114(3): 507-514.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Rahul V. Borade, S. V. Kshirsagar, "Modal Analysis of Asymmetric Helical Gear using Finite Element Modelling for Free and Prestress Condition", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.267-272, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162437.php