: Magnesium matrix composites are very attractive materials for various applications of aerospace, defence organizations and automotive industry due to their low density, good mechanical and physical properties. The improvement of specific strength, stiffness, damping behaviour, wear behaviour, creep and fatigue properties are significantly influenced by the addition of reinforcing elements into the metallic matrix compared with the conventional engineering materials. This article represents different types of reinforcements and their effect on mechanical and physical properties magnesium and its alloy. Emphasis is also made on various fabrication techniques like friction stir casting, vacuum stir casting, Squeeze casting, Powder metallurgy, In-situ synthesis, Mechanical alloying and Pressureless infiltration. Most important applications of diverse magnesium MMCs are also examined critically in this work.
Sandeep Kumar, Dr. N. M. Suri, Dr. Sumankant
Magnesium matrix composites, fabrication techniques, stir casting
- B.L. Mordike and T. Ebert: Magnesium Properties-application-potential. Materials Science and Engineering. Vol. A302, 2001, pp. 37-45.
- E. Aghion and B. Bronfin: Magnesium alloys development towards the 21st century. Materials Science Forum. Vol.350-351, 2000, pp.19-28.
- S. Sugimoto: 53rd Annual Magnesium Congress (Ube City, Japan, 1996),pp.38.
- Q.C. Jiang, X.L. Li and H.Y. Wang // Scripta Mater 48 (2003) 713.
- P. Poddar, V.C. Srivastava, P.K. De and K.L.Sahoo // Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 460-461 (2007) 357.
- S. Aravindan, P.V. Rao and K. Ponappa: Evaluation of physical and mechanical properties of AZ91D/SiC composites by two step stir casting process, Journal of Magnesium and Alloys 3 (2015) 52-62.
- M.J. Shen, X.J. Wang, M.F. Zhang, B.H. Zhang, M.Y. Zheng and K. Wu: Microstructure and room temperature tensile properties of 1 mm-SiCp/AZ31B magnesium matrix composite Journal of Magnesium and Alloys, Volume 3, Issue 2, June 2015, Pages 155–161.
- M. Esmaily, N. Mortazavi, J.E. Svensson, M. Halvarsson, M. Wessen , L.G. Johansson and A.E.W. Jarfors:A new semi-solid casting technique for fabricating SiC-reinforced Mg alloys matrix composites, Composites Part B 94 (2016) 176-189.
- K.K. Deng, K.Wu, Y.W. Wu, K.B. Nie and M.Y. Zheng // Journal of Alloys and Compounds 504 (2010) 542.
- M.J. Shen, M.F. Zhang and W.F. Ying: Processing, microstructure and mechanical properties of bimodal size SiCp reinforced AZ31B magnesium matrix composites, Journal of Magnesium and Alloys 3 (2015) 162-167.
- Mohamed Gobara, Mohamed Shamekh and Robert Akid :Improving the corrosion resistance of AZ91D magnesium alloy through reinforcement with titanium carbides and borides, Journal of Magnesium and Alloys 3 (2015) 112-120.
- L. Falcon-Franco, E. Bedolla-Becerril, J. Lemus-Ruiz, J.G. Gonzalez-Rodríguez, R. Guardian and I. Rosales:Wear performance of TiC as reinforcement of a magnesium alloy matrix composite.
- X.Y. Gu, D.Q. Sun and L. Liu // Materials Science and Engineering A 487 (2008) 86.
- Zhang Xiuqing, Liao Lihu,Ma Naiheng and Wang Haowei // Composites: Part A 37 (2006) 2011.
- Wei Cao, Congfa Zhang, Tongxiang Fan and Di Zhang // Materials Science and Engineering A 496 (2008) 242.
- Y. Chen, Y.B. Guo, M. Gupta and V.P.W. Shim: A study of the dynamic compressive response of AZ31/Al2O3 nanocomposites and the influence of nanoparticles, International Journal of Impact Engineering 89 (2016) 114–123.
- A. Banerji, H. Hu and A.T. Alpas n :Sliding wear mechanisms of magnesium composites AM60 reinforced with Al2O3 fibres under ultra-mild wear conditions, Wear 301 (2013) 626–635.
- S. Jayalakshmi, S.V. Kailas and S. Seshan: Composites: Part A 33 (2002) 1135.
- P.P. Bhingole, G.P. Chaudhari and S.K. Nath: Composites: Part A 66 (2014) 209.
- Abbasipour B, Niroumand B, Vaghefi SMM. Compocasting of A356-CNT alloy composite. Trans Nonferrous Met Soc China 2010;20:1561–6.
- Ejiofor JU, Okorie BA, Reddy RG. Powder processing and properties of zircon-reinforced Al–13.5Si–2.5Mg alloy composites. J Mater Eng Perform 1997;6:326–34.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Sandeep Kumar, Dr. N. M. Suri, Dr. Sumankant, "Review of Recent Studies in Magnesium Matrix Composites and their Fabrication Techniques", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.01-06, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET16244.php