Voltage stability analysis is essential for a secure power system operation.This study demonstrates the use of latest Power System Analysis Toolbox (PSAT) package for network analysis of alternative means of improving existing transmission system voltage stability. This project presents the investigation on steady state voltage stability improvement by determination of best location of Flexible ac transmission system (FACTS) controllers such as Static Compensator (STATCOM) device with minimum losses. The proposed method explains how voltage stability can be improved with the continuation power flow (CPF) method in case of increasing loading of contingency. Continuation power flow analysis which is currently used for evaluation of location of weak buses/areas of the power system sensitive to load increase. Voltage stability assessment on a 6-bus system has been simulated to test the effectiveness with increasing load. A comparative study of 6-bus test system between the base case and with Static Compensator is presented to demonstrate the effectiveness of Static Compensator. The proposed methodology found advantages because it is simple, faster and very convenient to apply for voltage stability analysis.
Prof. Ashish Choubey, Gunshekhar Singh
STATCOM, PSAT, FACTS, CPF, UPFC, UPFC, PSO, SVC
- Kundur, "Power System Stability and Control", McGraw-Hill, 1994.
- H. Song and A.T. Johns, "Flexible ac transmission systems (FACTS)", The Institute of Electrical Engineers, London, 1999.
- G. Hingorani and L. Gyugyi, "Understanding FACTS: concepts and technology of flexible ac transmission systems", IEEE Press, NY, 1999.
- H. Haque, "Damping improvement using facts devices". Electrical Power Syst. Res. Volume 76, Issues 9-10, June 2006.
- An Open Source Power System Analysis Toolbox Federico Milano, Member, IEEEIEEE TRANSACTIONS ON POWER SYSTEMS, VOL. 20, NO. 3, AUGUST 2005
- Power System Analysis Toolbox Documentation for PSAT version 1.3.4, July 14, 2005.
- Power System Analysis Toolbox version 2.1.6.
- Saadat, "Power System Analysis", McGraw-Hill, 2002.
- "On-line Voltage Stability Assessment of Power System- An Approach of Black-box Modelling" Sami Repo PhD Thesis
- "Power system voltage stability" Carson W. Taylor ISBN 10-0071137084
- Larsson, "Coordinated Voltage Control in Electric Power Systems",Doctoral Dissertation, Lund University, 2000.
- R.Padiyar "FACTS Controllers in power transmission and distribution", New Age International Publishers, 2007.
- Brian Stott,"Review of Load-Flow Calculation Methods", Proceedings of the IEEE , Vol.62, No. 7, July 1974. pp 916-929.
- Acha, C.R.Fuerte-Esquivel, H.Ambriz-perez, C.Angeles-Camacho,"FACTS Modelling and simulation in power networks",John Willy & Sons, Ltd,2004.
- Mohan Mathur and Rajiv K. Varma,"Thyristor-Based FACTS Controllers for Electrical Transmission Systems", IEEE Press, 2002.
- Duan, J. Chen, F. Peng ,Y. Luo and Y. Huang ,"Power Flow Control With FACTS Devices", Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting, 2000. IEEE, Vol. 3, pp. 1585-1589.
- Acha, V G Agelidis, O Anaya-Lara, and T J E Miller "Power Electronic Control in Electrical Systems" ELSEVIER, 2002.
- D. Rosehart and C. A. Cañizares, "Bifurcation Analysis of Various Power System Models," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 21, No. 3, March 1999, pp. 171-182.
- A. Cañizares, "Voltage Collapse and Transient Energy Function Analyses of AC/DC Systems", Doctoral Dissertation, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1991.
- Ajjarapu and C. Christy, "The Continuation Power Flow: A Tool for Steady State Voltage Stability Analysis", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 7, No. 1, February 1992, pp.416-423 .
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Prof. Ashish Choubey, Gunshekhar Singh, "Steady State Voltage Stability Improvement by Determination of best Location of STATCOM with Minimum Losses", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.430-434, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET16245.php