In this paper skew detection technique for printed and handwritten devnagri scanned documents is proposed. Recognition methods for printed and handwritten texts in Scanned documents are significantly different. Skew detection technique consists of processing steps like preprocessing, segmentation, skew correction and detection with enhancement which is used to identify writer. Segmentation is used to extract text lines and words from handwritten and printed documents. A horizontal projection and vertical projection algorithm is used to segment the document into a number of lines. Nilback, Sauvola’s and wolfs algorithm is used for binarization. Linear Otsu thresholding is used for filter. The scan line method is used for the skew detection and correction .Adaptive histogram algorithm is used for image enhancement. Various Printed and handwritten text documents are scanned for the different preprocessing methods. In segmentation, for the Line, word, character segmentation we used the separate algorithms. For the skew detection and correction, skew line method gives the better accuracy.
Snehal S. Kolhe, K. T. Jadhao
Pre-Processing, Filtering, Segmentation, Skew Detection and Correction, Enhancement
- Mathivanan, B. Ganesamoorthy and P. Maran “Watershed algorithm based segmentation for handwritten text identification” Ictact journal on image and video processing, february 2014.
- Ruby singh1, Ramandeep kaur2, “Skew detection in image processing”, Int.J.Computer technology applications.vol 4 IJCTA | May-June 2013.
- NamishaModi,Khushneet Jindal “Text Line detection and Segmentation in Handwritten Gurumukhi Scripts” Volume 3, Issue 5, May 2013.
- MortezaValizadeh,Ehsanollahkabir,“An adaptive water flow model for binarization of degraded document images”, IJDAR (2013).
- Papandreou and B. Gatos “A Coarse Fine Skew Estimation Technique for Handwritten Words” 1520-5363 2013.
- Irfan Ahmad “A technique for skew detection of printed Arabic documents” 978-0-7695-5051-0/13 $26.00 © 2013 IEEE DOI 10.1109/CGIV.2013.21
- Utkarsh Mathur, Rohit Sharma, Naveen Srivastava “Script independent angular skew Detection and correction algorithms” 978-1 - 4799-1 607-8/1 3/$31 .00©201 3 IEEE 2013.
- FirasAjilJassim, Fawzi H. Altaani, “Hybridization of Otsu Method and Median Filter for Color Image Segmentation” IJSCE) ISSN: 2231-2307, Volume-3, Issue-2, May 2013.
- SepidehBarekatRezaei,AbdolhosseinSarrafzadeh, and JamshidShanbehzadeh,” Skew Detection of Scanned Document Images” Vol I, IMECS 2013,
- Mandeep kaur,Er.Kiran jain, ”Study if image enhancement techniques” International Journal of advance research in computer science and software engineering vol3,Issue 4,April 2013 ISSN: 2277 128X .
- Upasana Patil1, Masarath Begum “word level handwritten and printed text separation based on shaped features” ISSN 2250-2459, Volume 2, Issue 4, April 2012.
- Dan WANG, Xichang WANG, Jiang LIU “A Skew Angle Detection Algorithm based on Maximum Gradient Difference” 2011 International Conference on Transportation, Mechanical, and Electrical Engineering (TMEE)
- Qi Xiaorui, Ma Lei, Sun Changjiang, Liu Jiang “Fast skew angle detection algorithm for scanned images” vol.32,no.21,2011.
- A S N Chakravarth, Penmetsa V Krishna Raja, Prof. P S Avadhani “handwritten text image Authentication using back Propagation” IJNSA, Vol.3, No.5, Sep 2011.
- VassilisPapavassilioua,ThemosStafylakisa,GeorgeCarayannis“Handwritten document image segmentation into text lines and words” Pattern Recognition 43
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Snehal S. Kolhe, K. T. Jadhao, "Skew Detection Techniques used in Degraded Document Images", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.414-420, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162455.php