The die set system used in the wire straightening and cutting system is comprises of die plate, bolster plate and guides with mutually helped by helical compression spring. This spring plays an important role in smooth movement of the die set by supplying energy stored in it as well as keeps sufficient pressure on the plate provided at the bottom of the rod. It acts as suspension system to absorb the shocks and stores the mechanical energy. It is made up of elastic materials such that it can twist, pulled or stretched by the application of force and regain its original shape when the force is released due to this the stress are produced along the length of the helical compression coil spring. On account of these stresses coil springs have been undergone the failure prematurely before its service life. The present work is investigation on reduction of the premature failure and improves the service life of helical compression spring. The life of spring is improved by optimum design and analysis by variation of wire diameter. Results indicate that the maximum shear stresses are decreased for increase values of wire diameter and number of turns of coil spring. Due to this, deflection of spring as required is achieved hence reduction of the premature failure of coil spring is attained.
Vishal Chaudhari, Prof. G. V. R. S. Rao
Helical Spring, Suspension System, Deformation, Ansys
- Kaiser B., Pyttel B. and Berger, C., "VHCF-behavior of helical compression springs made of different materials”, International Journal of Fatigue, vol. 33, 2011, pp. 23-32.
- Pollanen I. and Martikka H., "Optimal re-design of helical springs using fuzzy design and FEM”, Advances in Engineering Software, vol.41 (3), 2010, 410-414.
- Prawoto Y., Ikeda, M., Manville S.K. and Nishikawa, A., "Design and failure modes of automotive suspension springs”, Engineering Failure Analysis, vol. 15(8), 2008, pp. 1155-1174.
- Berger C. and Kaiser B., "Results of very high cycle fatigue tests on helical compression springs”, International Journal of Fatigue, vol. 28 (5), 2005,pp.1658-1663.
- Ronald E. Giachetti, " A decision support system for material and manufacturing process selection", Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Vol. 9, 1998, pp. 265-276.
- Krishna S., Vignesh S., " Hybrid Springs for Power Generation", journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Volume 12, Issue 3 Ver. III,2015,pp. 1-6.
- Athreya Srinivas, Venkatesh Y. D., " Application Of Taguchi Method For Optimization Of Process Parameters In Improving The Surface Roughness Of Lathe Facing Operation", International Refereed Journal of Engineering and Science, Volume 1, Issue 3. 2012, pp. 13-19.
- W.K. Chan, Thomas K. L., " Multi-criteria material selections and end-of-life product strategy: Grey relational analysis approach", Materials and Design, Vol. 28, 2007, pp. 1539-1546.
- Prasenjit Chatterjee, Chakraborty Shankar, " Material selection using preferential ranking methods", Materials and Design, Vol. 35, 2012, pp. 384-393.
- Dehghan Manshadi, Mahmudi H.,Abedian A., " A novel method for materials selection in mechanical design: Combination of non-linear normalization and a modiﬁed digital logic method", Materials and Design, Vol. 28, 2007, pp. 8-15.
- K.L. Edwards, " Selecting materials for optimum use in engineering components", Materials and Design, Vol. 26, 2005, pp. 469-473.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Vishal Chaudhari, Prof. G. V. R. S. Rao, "Structural Analysis of Helical Compression Spring", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.323-326, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162459.php