Casting defects are usually not by accidents, they occur because some steps in manufacturing cycle does not get properly controlled and somewhere something goes wrong. Metal casting industries are continuously exposed to ever increasing demands regarding their competitiveness, sound quality products as well as in developing their specific casting process. Bayer Red mud which is a waste by product of Aluminum extraction process is dumped in large areas near the sea or nearby ponds. Bayer Red mud is dumped after the neutralization process. Neutralization is done by mechanics of seawater treatment. The mud is actively mixed with the seawater for a period of around 30 minutes to enable the reactions to take place. Clay content had significant effect on permeability, hardness or GCS while moisture content had a little effect. In this article attempt is made to carry out different experiments by making red mud a constituent in mold sand in different proportions and to manufacture castings and compare the resulting casting with regular casted components. In short, the aim is to extract economic benefits from the free and ample availability of red mud and also find a way to control the environmental pollution caused due dumping of red mud in heavy masses.
Prof. Sandeep M. Kadane, Prof. Bhushan S. Kamble
Bayer process, Red mud, Green sand, Bentonite, Metal casting, casting defects
- A. Agrawal, K.K. Sahu, B.D. Pandey, Solid waste management in non-ferrous industries in India, Resources, Conservation and Recycling 42 (2004) ,PP: 99–120
- Kumar R, Srivastava JP, Premchand. Utilisation of iron values of red mud for metallurgical application. Environmental waste management in nonferrous metallurgical industries. In: Bandopadhyay A, Goswami NG, Ramachandra Rao P, editors. Jamshedpur: NML; 29–30 January 1998. PP: 108–119.
- Harekrushna Sutar, Subash Chandra Mishra, Santosh Kumar Sahoo, Ananta Prasad chakraverty and Himanshu Sekhar Maharana, (2014), Progress of Red Mud Utilization: An Overview, American Chemical Science Journal, 4(3), PP: 255-279.
- Biswas J, Jana RK, Dasgupta P, Bandyopadhyay M, Sanyal SK. Hydrometallurgical processing of anode slime for recovery of valuable metals. Environmental waste management in non ferrous metallurgical industries. In: Bandopadhyay A, Goswami NG, Ramachandra Rao P, editors. Jamshedpur: NML; 29–30 ( 1998) ,PP 216–24.
- Chaddha MJ, Rai SB, Goyal RN (2007). ENVICON 2007, National seminar on environmental concern and remedies in Alumina Industry at NALCO, Damanjodi, India, 27-28th Jan., 2007. Characteristics of red mud of Indian Alumina Plants and their possible utilization, PP 41-44.
- Sucharita Patel, B.K. Pal, (2015), Current Status of an Industrial Waste: Red Mud an Overview, IJLTEMAS, Volume IV, Issue VIII, ISSN 2278 – 2540, PP:1-16.
- Bhushan S. Kamble. “Analysis of Different Sand Casting Defects in a Medium Scale Foundry Industry - A Review”, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, Volume 5, Issue: 2, (Feb-2016), ISSN: 2319-8753, DOI: 10.15680/ IJIRSET. 2015.0502017, PP:1281-1288
- Bhushan S. Kamble and Pradnyesh V. Kadam. “Optimized Design of Risering System for Casted Component by Using Web Based Online Simulation E-Tool”, International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol: 03, Issue: 03, (March 2016), E-ISSN: 2395 -0056, PP: 1118-1122.
- Tasmia Zaman, M. A. A. Mahmood and A. Hafiz Zaman, Effect of Clay and Moisture Content on the Properties of Molding Sand, International Conference on Mechanical, Industrial and Materials Engineering 2013 (ICMIME 2013).PP: 578-582.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Prof. Sandeep M. Kadane, Prof. Bhushan S. Kamble, "Reutilisation of Bayer Red Mud as Moulding Material in Green Sand Casting Process-An Experimental Study", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.295-301, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162466.php