AA6082-T6 is widely used in modern automotive and aviation industries. The usage of adhesive bonding offers the reduced weight and cost as compared with mechanical bonding. The single lap joint with metallic flat plates is the most common due to its simplicity in many applications. The safety and reliability of these bonds depend on appropriate design. In this paper experimental investigations were carried out in order to evaluate shear strength of adhesively bonded AA6082-T6 Aluminium alloy under lap joint. Three adhesives were procured from different manufacturers. Effects of adhesive type, adherence thickness, surface texture pattern depth and type of adhesive on shear strength were experimentally evaluated using Taguchi technique. Experiments were carried out on universal testing machine. Analyses of variance were carried out and percentage contribution of each factor was evaluated in order to determine a joint strength. This study will help to design appropriate joint which may lead to manufacture highly durable products.
Sunil Amarsingh Patil, B. D. Bachchhav, C. S. Choudhari
Shear strength, Surface texture pattern, ANOVA, Universal testing machine
- Mehdi Asgharifar, Fanrong kong, "An experimental and numerical study of effect of textured surface by arc discharge on strength of adhesively bonded jonts", Journal of mechanics engineering and automation (2012).
- L.D.R. Grant, R.D.Adams, Lucas. F.M. da Silva, "Experimental and numerical analysis of single-lap joints for the automotive industry", Journal of adhesion and adhesives 29 (2009) pp. 405-413.
- D. M. Gleich, M. J. L. Van Tooren and A. Beukers, "Analysis and evaluation of bondline thickness effects on failure load in adhesively bonded structure", Journal of adhesion 9 (2001). Pp. 1091-1101.
- J. M. Arenas Reina, J. J. Narbon Prieto, C. Alfa Garcia, "Influence of the surface finish on the on the shear strength of structural adhesive joints and application criteria in manufacturing". (2009). Pp. 324-340.
- Lucas F. M. da Silva, T. N. S.S. Rodrigues, M.A.V. Figueiredo, M.F.S.F. de Moura and J.A.G. Chousal,"Effect of adhesive type and thickness on the lap shear strength". (200) pp. 1091-1115.
- Lucas F.M. da silva, G.W. Critchlow and M.A.V. Figuetredo,"Parametric study of adhesively bonded single lap joints by the Taguchi method" (2012) pp. 1477-1494.
- Lucas F.M.da Silva, R.J.C. Carbas, G.W.Critchlow, M.A.V.Figueiriedo, K. Brown, "Effect of material, geometry, surface treatment and environment on the shear strength of single lap joint" Internation of Adhesion and adhesive 29 (2009) pp. 621-632.
- J. G. Nikam, Satish S. Kadam,"Shear strength of adhesively bonded single lap joint using Taguchi method.
- Ranjit. K. Roy, " A Primer on the Taguchi Method", society of Manufacturing Engineers, Dearborn Michigan, 1990.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Sunil Amarsingh Patil, B. D. Bachchhav, C. S. Choudhari, "Strength Analysis of Adhesively Bonded AA6082-T6 Al Alloy Lap Joint", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.327-330, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162483.php