The Khanapur plateau surface is consisting chiefly of 'Red beds' which rest uncomfortably over the bed rock basalt which has its weathering profiles. They occurs fan-shaped sedimentary deposits especially in the area around Menganwadi village, Balavadi and Adsadwadi. The sediment can be considered as heterogeneous mixture of various sizes with dominance of fine grained materials. The poorly to very poorly sorted nature of ‘Red beds' indicate that the sediments are most probably deposited in fluvial environment as traction current due to river action. Mineralogy, the XRD and IR and microscopic analysis were used for four constituents; clayey materials, opaques, lithic fragments and iron oxides. However, thus detrital natural minerals have reveal as well as effects of weathering, erosion and transportation. The secondary precipitation of silica and calcite has been taken place along the fractures, bedding planes and cavities or voids in the strata. The SEM show the dominance of
Elzien S. M., Al-Imam O. A. O., Hamed B. O., Khalid M. K.
Textural Characteristics, Red Beds, Detrital And Transported In Nature
- Carver, R. E., (1971). Procedures in Sedimentary Petrology. A Division of John Wiley and Sons, New York, p 653.
- Elzien, S. M., (1992). Genesis of ‘Red Beds’ from the Khanapur Plateau, Maharashtra, India. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, University of Poona, Pune 411007, p 135.
- Elzien, S.M.; Patil, D.N., and Al-Imam, O.A.O., (2013a). Genesis of ‘Red Beds’ from the Khanapur Plateau, Maharashtra, India. International Jour. of Eng. Sci. & Res. Tech. (IJESRT), 2 (6): 1422-1437.
- Elzien, S.M., (2013b). The Upland ‘Red Beds’ from the Khanapur Plateau, Maharashtra, India. International Jour. of Geomatics and Geosciences. Vol. 4 No.1: 256-279.
- Folk, R. L., and Word, W.C., (1957). Brazos river bar: A study in the significance of origin size parameters. Jour. Sed. Petrol., 27: 3-27.
- Friedman, G. M., (1967). Dynamic processes and statistical parameters compared for size frequency distribution of beach and river sands. Jour. Sed. Petrol., 37: 327-354.
- Friedman, G. M., and Johnson, K.G., (1982). Exercises in Sedimentology. John Wiley and Sons, New York, 208 p.
- Goudie, A. S., (1983). Calcrete. In: Goudie, A.S., and Pye, K., (Eds.): Chemical Sediments and Geomorphology. Academic Press, London, pp 92-131.
- Klappa, C. F., (1983). A process-response model for the formation of pedogenic calcretes. In Wilson, R.C.L., (ed.): Residual deposits: Surface Related Weathering Processes and Materials. Geol. Soc. of London, Published by Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, pp211-220.
- Krumbein, W. C., (1934). Size frequency distribution of Sediments. Jour. Sed. Petrol. 4:65-77.
- Moiola, R.J. and Weiser, D., (1968). Textural parameters: An evaluation. Jour, Sed. Petrol., 38: 45-53.
- Passega, R., (1957). Textural characteristics of clastic deposition. Bull. Amer. Assoc. Petrol. Geol., 41: 1952-1984.
- Passega, R., (1964). Grain-size representation by C-M patterns as a geological tool. Jour. Sed. Petrol., 34: 839-847.
- Passega, R., and Byramjee, R., (1969). Grain-size image of clastic deposit, Sedimentology, 13: 233-252.
- Patil, D. N., and Surana, A. P., (1992). Origin of calcrete deposits of Sasward-Nira area, Western Maharashtra, India, 39(2):05-117.
- Pettijohn, F. J.; Potter, P. E., and Siever, R., (1972). Sand and Sandstone. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. 618p.
- Visher, G. S., (1969). Grain-size distribution and depositional processes, Jour. Sed. Petrol. 49: 41-62.
- Van Der Marel, H. W., and Buetelspacher, H., (1976). Atlas of Infra-Red Spectroscopy of Clay minerals and their Admixture. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 396p.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Elzien S. M., Al-Imam O. A. O., Hamed B. O., Khalid M. K., "Textural characteristics and clay mineralogy of the 'Red Beds' from the Khanapur Palateau, Maharashtra, India", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.770-780, July-August-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162495.php