This paper primarily deals with the construction of arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU) using Hardware Description Language (HDL) using Xilinx Vivado 14.7 and implement them on Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs) to analyze the design parameters. ALU of digital computers is an aspect of logic design with the objective of developing appropriate algorithms in order to achieve an efficient utilization of the available hardware. The hardware can only perform a relatively simple and primitive set of Boolean & arithmetic operations and are based on a hierarchy of operations that are built by using algorithms employing the hardware. Speed, power and utilization of ALU are the measures of the efficiency of an algorithm. In this paper, we have simulated and synthesized the various parameters of ALUs by using VHDL on Xilinx Vivado 14.7 and Basys 3 Artix 7 FPGA board.
Prachi Sharma, G. Rama Laxmi, Arun Kumar Mishra
FPGA, ALU, XILINX Vivado 14.7, Basys 3 Artix 7 FPGA Board
- Stephen Brown, V.Zvonko, "Fundamentals of digital logic with VHDL Design"2ndEdition,Mc Graw Hill International Edition, 2005.
- Charles H.Roth, Jr., "Digital System Design using VHDL", PWS Publishing Company, 2006.
- Douglas L. Perry, VHDL, third edition, McGraw-Hill, pp. 60-63, 238, July 1999.
- Mark Zwolinski, "Digital System Design with VHDL", Prentice Hall, 2000.
- Pedroni, "Digital Logic Design using VHDL".
- Kaliamurthy, R.Muralidharan, "VHDL Design of FPGA Arithmetic Processor" International Conference on Engineering and ICT, 2007.
- S. Kaliamurthy & Ms. U. Sowmmiya, "VHDL design of arithmetic processor" ,Global Journals Inc.(USA) , November 2011.
- Landauer, R., "Irreversibility and heat generation in the computing process", IBM J.Research and Development, vol. 5 (3): pp. 183-191, 1961.
- Bennett, C.H., "Logical reversibility of computation", IBM J. Research and Development, vol. 17: pp. 525-532, 1973.
- Raghu Kanth1, B. Murali Krishna2, G. Phani Kumar3, J. Poornima4, K. Siva Rama Krishna " A Comparitive Study Of Reversible Logic Gates"International Journal of VLSI & Signal Processing Applications, Vol.2,Issue 1, Feb 2012.
- Himanshu Thapliyal ,Nagarajan Ranganathan "A New Reversible Design of BCD Adder " IEEE conference on Design and automation, 2011 pp.1-4.
- Zhijin Guan, Wenjuan Li, Weiping Ding, Yueqin Hang, Lihui Ni"An Arithmetic Logic Unit design based on reversible logic gates "IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Communications, Computers and Signal Processing (PacRim), 2011.
- Thapliyal H, Srinivas M.B, "Novel Reversible TSG Gate and Its Application for Designing Components of Primitive Reversible/Quantum ALU,"Fifth International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing, 2006.
- Thapliyal,M.B Srinivas "Novel design and reversible logic synthesis of multiplexer based full adder and multipliers" 48th Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 2005.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Prachi Sharma, G. Rama Laxmi, Arun Kumar Mishra, "Design of 16 bit Arithmetic and Logical Unit Using Vivado 14.7 and Implementation on Basys 3 FPGA Board", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.243-249, September-October-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162510.php