This research was conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of a virtual project-based simulation game in construction education. For this purpose, Skyscraper Simulator, which is a project-based simulation game focused on the construction management process in an interactive environment, was tested by 135 undergraduate construction students. After finishing the game, students completed a questionnaire to rate the game’s effectiveness. Then, quantitative methods were used to investigate their answers. Students also rated their pre- and post- playing construction knowledge, ability and skills in six broad areas typical for their construction management curricula. To measure their perceived learning gains, the self- assessment data on each six area were analyzed by means of a paired-samples T test. The results provide the evidence for positive effect of a virtual project-based simulation game on educating undergraduate construction students, and so for its potential to be used as a supplementary tool in construction education at undergraduate level.
Construction, Education, Project-based, Self- assessment, Simulation, Virtual
- Agapiou, Andrew. 2006. "The use and evaluation of a simulation game to teach professional practice skills to undergraduate architecture students." Journal for Education in the Built Environment 1 (2):3-14.
- Arena, Dylan A, and Daniel L Schwartz. 2014. "Experience and explanation: Using videogames to prepare students for formal instruction in statistics." Journal of Science Education and Technology 23 (4):538-548.
- Ba?, Gökhan. 2011. "Investigating the effects of project-based learning on students’ academic achievement and attitudes towards English lesson." The Online Journal Of New Horizons In Education 1 (4).
- Bodnar, Cheryl A, Daniel Anastasio, Joshua A Enszer, and Daniel D Burkey. 2016. "Engineers at Play: Games as Teaching Tools for Undergraduate Engineering Students." Journal of Engineering Education.
- Dabbagh, Nada, Angela D Benson, André Denham, Roberto Joseph, Maha Al-Freih, Ghania Zgheib, Helen Fake, and Zhetao Guo. 2016. "Game-based Learning." In Learning Technologies and Globalization, 31-35. Springer.
- Dib, Hazar, and Nicoletta Adamo-Villani. 2013. "Serious Sustainability Challenge Game to Promote Teaching and Learning of Building Sustainability." Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering 28 (5):A4014007.
- Dickey, Michele D. 2005. "Engaging by design: How engagement strategies in popular computer and video games can inform instructional design." Educational Technology Research and Development 53 (2):67-83.
- Ebner, Martin, and Andreas Holzinger. 2007. "Successful implementation of user-centered game based learning in higher education: An example from civil engineering." Computers & education 49 (3):873-890.
- Gee, James Paul. 2003. "What video games have to teach us about learning and literacy." Computers in Entertainment (CIE) 1 (1):20-20.
- Gee, James Paul. 2005. "Good video games and good learning." Phi Kappa Phi Forum.
- Goedert, James D, Robert Pawloski, Saeed Rokooeisadabad, and Mahadevan Subramaniam. 2013. "Project-Oriented Pedagogical Model for Construction Engineering Education Using Cyberinfrastructure Tools." Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice 139 (4):301-309.
- Goedert, James, Saeed Rokooeisadabad, and Robert Pawloski. 2012. "A Project-based Simulation Model for Construction Education." 5th Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg.
- Hale Feinstein, Andrew, Stuart Mann, and David L Corsun. 2002. "Charting the experiential territory: Clarifying definitions and uses of computer simulation, games, and role play." Journal of Management Development 21 (10):732-744.
- Hirose, Yukio, Junkichi Sugiura, and Kenji Shimomoto. 2004. "Industrial waste management simulation game and its educational effect." Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management 6 (1):58-63.
- Kincaid, J Peter, Roger Hamilton, Ronald W Tarr, and Harshal Sangani. 2003. "Simulation in education and training." In Applied system simulation, 437-456. Springer.
- Kincaid, JP, S Bala, C Hamel, WJ Sequeira, and A Bellette. 2001. "Effectiveness of Traditional vs. Web-based Instruction for Teaching an Instructional Module for Medics." ISTâ€‘TRâ€‘01â€‘06, Orlando: Institute for Simulation and Training, University of Central Florida.
- Lee, Sanghoon, Dragana Nikolic, and John I Messner. 2014. "Framework of the Virtual Construction Simulator 3 for Construction Planning and Management Education." Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering 29 (2):05014008.
- Lee, Sanghoon, Dragana Nikolic, John I Messner, and Chimay J Anumba. 2011. "The development of the virtual construction simulator 3: an interactive simulation environment for construction management education." Proceedings of the 2011 ASCE International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering. Miami, FL: ASCE.
- Messner, John I, Sai CM Yerrapathruni, Anthony J Baratta, and Vaughan E Whisker. 2003. "Using virtual reality to improve construction engineering education." American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition.
- Ndekugri, Issaka, and Peter Lansley. 1992. "Role of simulation in construction management: Possible applications of simulation examined in relation to construction management." Building Research and Information 20 (2):109-114.
- Nikoli?, Dragana. 2011. "Evaluating a simulation game in construction engineering education: The virtual construction simulator 3." Architectural Engineering.
- Nikolic, Dragana, Shrimant Jaruhar, and John I Messner. 2011. "Educational Simulation in Construction: Virtual Construction Simulator 1." Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering 25 (6):421-429.
- Nikolic, Dragana, Sanghoon Lee, John I Messner, and Chimay Anumba. 2010. "The virtual construction simulator: Evaluating an educational simulation application for teaching construction management concepts."
- Pariafsai, Fatemeh. 2013. Management and Construction Equipment Vol. 1. Tehran, Iran: Adabestan.
- Philpot, Timothy A, Richard H Hall, Nancy Hubing, and Ralph E Flori. 2005. "Using games to teach statics calculation procedures: Application and assessment." Computer Applications in Engineering Education 13 (3):222-232.
- POSSA, Rodrigo. 2011. "Um estudo sobre os requisitos de jogos de simulação usados no ensino de engenharia de software. 2011." Dissertação (Mestrado em Ciência da Computação)–Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG.
- Prensky, Marc. 2003. "Digital game-based learning." Computers in Entertainment (CIE) 1 (1):21-21.
- Rokooei, Saeed, and James Dean Goedert. 2015. "Lessons learned From a Simulation Project in Construction Education."
- Rokooei, Saeed, James Goedert, and Aruna Weerakoon. 2014. "Simulation as an Effective Tool for Gender Education in Construction." 6th Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg.
- Ruben, Brent D. 1999. "Simulations, games, and experience-based learning: The quest for a new paradigm for teaching and learning." Simulation & Gaming 30 (4):498-505.
- Scott, David, Mick Mawdesley, and Saad Al-Jibouri. 2004. "The use and efficacy of a simulation model for teaching project control in construction." First International Conference on world of construction project management.
- Shaffer, David Williamson. 2006. How computer games help children learn: Macmillan.
- Sherif, Ahmed, and Hosnachah Mekkawi. 2009. "Excavation game: Computer-aided-learning tool for teaching construction engineering decision making." Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice 136 (4):188-196.
- Shute, Valerie J. 2011. "Stealth assessment in computer-based games to support learning." Computer games and instruction 55 (2):503-524.
- Squire, Kurt. 2008. "Open-ended video games: A model for developing learning for the interactive age." The ecology of games: Connecting youth, games, and learning:167-198.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Fatemeh Pariafsai, "Effectiveness of a Virtual Project-Based Simulation Game in Construction Education", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.377-393, September-October-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1625104.php