In an attempt to increase the bioactivity and corrosion resistance of a Ti–6Al–4V alloy, the thermochemical process for surface modification was utilized. Ti6Al4V substrates were pretreated with a sodium hydroxide (10 M of NaOH aqueous solution at 60°C for 24 h.). After NaOH pretreatment, a three- dimensional porous network of hydrogel layer made of sodium titanate was observed on the Ti6Al4V surface. The gel can then be converted to Ti-OH groups during hydrothermal treatment, which will contribute to the formation of hydroxyapatite when immersing them in a simulated body fluid (SBF) solution for 30 days. Characterization was performed by means of X-ray diffraction (XRD), attenuated total Reflectance-Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (ATR-FTIR), Scanning electron microscopy (SEM), and energy dispersive X-ray analysis (EDX). The resultant apatite layer formed on titanium metal in SBF could enhance the bonding strength between living tissue and the implant.
A. A. Al-asnawy, A. A. El-hadad, Islam S. EL-Sayed, Khairy M. T. Eraba
Ti6Al4V, Hydroxyapatite, Alkali Pretreatment, Thermochemical - Methods, Sodium Titanate, SBF
- Branemark PI. 1983. "Osseointegration and its experimental background.," J. Prosthet. Dent., vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 399–410, (1983).
- Surowska and J. Bienia?. 2010. "Composite layers on titanium and Ti6Al4V alloy for medical applications," J. Achiev. Mater. Manuf. Eng., vol. Vol. 43, no. nr 1, pp. 162–169, (2010).
- A. M. Jacobsson. 1987. "Bone-metal interface in osseointegration.," J. Prosthet. Dent., vol. 57, no. 5, p. 597–607., (1987).
- A. Barber, L. J. Gamble, D. G. Castner, and K. E. Healy. 2006 "In vitro characterization of peptide-modified p(AAm-co-EG/AAc) IPN-coated titanium implants," J. Orthop. Res., vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1366–1376, Jul. (2006).
- -H. Kim, T.-Y. Kwon, S.-Y. Kim, I.-K. Kang, S. Kim, Y. Yang, and J. L. Ong. 2006. "Preparation and Characterization of Anodized Titanium Surfaces and Their Effect on Osteoblast Responses," Oral Implantol., vol. 32, p. 8, (2006).
- M. Kim, F. Miyaji, T. Kokubo, and T. Nakamura. 1996. "Preparation of bioactive Ti and its alloys via simple chemical surface treatment.," J. Biomed. Mater. Res., vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 409–417, (1996).
- F. Ho, C. H. Lai, H. C. Hsu, and S. C. Wu. 2009. "Surface modification of a low-modulus Ti-7.5Mo alloy treated with Figure 6: Possible structural changes of the Ti6Al4V surface after acid etching, alkali treatment and during subsequent apatite formation in SBF. International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology (ijsrset.com) 9 aqueous NaOH," Surf. Coatings Technol., vol. 203, no. 20–21, pp. 3142–3150, (2009).
- Müller and F. A. Müller. 2006. "Preparation of SBF with different HCO3- content and its influence on the composition of biomimetic apatites," Acta Biomater., vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 181–189, (2006).
- Yamaguchi, H. Takadama, T. Matsushita, T. Nakamura, and T. Kokubo. 2009. "Cross-sectional analysis of the surface ceramic layer developed on Ti metal by NaOH-heat treatment and soaking in SBF," J. Ceram. Soc. Japan, vol. 117, no. 1370, pp. 1126–1130, (2009).
- Kokubo. 1998. "Apatite formation on surfaces of ceramics, metals and polymers in body environment," Acta Mater., vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 2519–2527, (1998).
- Hu, X. Zhang, D. Luong, K. D. Oakes, M. R. Servos, R. Liang, S. Kurdi, P. Peng, and Y. Zhou. 2012. "Adsorption and Photocatalytic Degradation Kinetics of Pharmaceuticals by TiO2 Nanowires During Water Treatment," Waste and Biomass Valorization, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 443–449, (Dec. 2012).
- K. Pattanayak, T. Kawai, T. Matsushita, H. Takadama, T. Nakamura, and T. Kokubo. 2009. "Effect of HCl concentrations on apatite-forming ability of NaOH – HCl- and heat-treated titanium metal," J Mater Sci Mater Med., vol. 20, pp. 2401–2411, (2009).
- Y. Sun X. 2003. "Synthesis and characterization of ion-exchangeable titanate nanotubes.," Chem Eur J., vol. 9, pp. 2229–38, (2003).
- H. Tsai CC. 2006. "Structural features of nanotubes synthesized from NaOH treatment on TiO2 with different post-treatments.," Chem Mater, vol. 18, p. 367–73., (2006).
- Sirghi, T. Aoki, and Y. Hatanaka. 2002. "Hydrophilicity of TiO2 thin films obtained by radio frequency magnetron sputtering deposition," Thin Solid Films, vol. 422, no. 1, pp. 55–61, (2002).
- W. Callen, B. F. Lowenberg, S. Lugowski, R. N. Sodhi, and J. E. Davies. 1995. "Nitric acid passivation of Ti6Al4V reduces thickness of surface oxide layer and increases trace element release.," J. Biomed. Mater. Res., vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 279–90, (Mar. 1995).
- -A. Lee, C.-H. Kang, M.-S. Vang, Y.-S. Jung, X. H. Piao, O.-S. Kim, H.-J. Chung, and Y.-J. Kim. 2012. "Surface characteristics and osteoblastic cell response of alkali-and heat-treated titanium-8tantalum-3niobium alloy.," J. Periodontal Implant Sci., vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 248–55, (Dec. 2012).
- Xiao, F. Tan, W. Wang, F. Sun, H. Lu, X. Qiu, J. Chen, and X. Qiao . 2014."Oxidation protection of Ti-6Al-4V alloy using a novel glass-amorphous silica composite coating," Ceram. Int., vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 3503–3509, (2014).
- Kokubo and H. Takadama. 2006. "How useful is SBF in predicting in vivo bone bioactivity?," Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 15, pp. 2907–2915, (2006).
- Jonášová, F. A. Müller, A. Helebrant, J. Strnad, and P. Greil. 2004."Biomimetic apatite formation on chemically treated titanium," Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1187–1194, (2004).
- Hulander, A. Lundgren, M. Berglin, M. Ohrlander, J. Lausmaa, and H. Elwing. 2011. "Immune complement activation is attenuated by surface nanotopography.," Int. J. Nanomedicine, vol. 6, pp. 2653–66, (2011).
- Kokubo. 1996. "Formation of biologically active bone-like apatite on metals and polymers by a biomimetic process," Thermochim. Acta, vol. 280–281, pp. 479–490, (Jul. 1996).
- Takadama, H.-M. Kim, T. Kokubo, and T. Nakamura. 2002. "X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy Study on the Process of Apatite Formation on a Sodium Silicate Glass in Simulated Body Fluid," J. Am. Ceram. Soc., vol. 85, no. 8, pp. 1933–1936, (Aug. 2002).
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
A. A. Al-asnawy, A. A. El-hadad, Islam S. EL-Sayed, Khairy M. T. Eraba, "Thermochemical Modification of Ti-6Al-4V alloy for Biomedical Applications ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.454-463 , September-October-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1625121.php