Static synchronous compensators have been broadly employed for the provision of electrical ac network services, which include voltage regulation, network balance, and stability improvement. Several studies of such compensators have also been conducted to improve the ac network operation during unbalanced voltage sags. This paper presents a complete control scheme intended for synchronous compensators operating under these abnormal network conditions. In particular, this control scheme introduces two contributions: a novel reactive current reference generator and a new voltage support control loop. The current reference generator has as a main feature the capacity to supply the required reactive current even when the voltage drops in amplitude during the voltage sag. Thus, a safe system operation is easily guaranteed by fixing the limit required current to the maximum rated current. The voltage control loop is able to implement several control strategies by setting two voltage set points. In this paper, three voltage support control strategies are proposed, and their advantages and limitations are discussed in detail. The two theoretical contributions of this paper have been validated by experimental results. Certainly, the topic of voltage support is open for further research, and the control scheme proposed in this paper can be viewed as an interesting configuration to devise other control strategies in future works.
Porandla Vennela, Thirupathi Allam, A. Abisheker Reddy
Static synchronous compensator, stability, voltage sags, control strategies.
- M. Carrasco, L. G. Franquelo, J. T. Bialasiewicz, E. Galván, R. C. Guisado, M. A. Prats, J. I. León, and N. Moreno-Alfonso, "Powerelectronic systems for the grid integration of renewable energy sources: A survey," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 1002–1016, Jun. 2006.
- Blaabjerg, R. Teodorescu, M. Liserre, and A. V. Timbus, "Overview of control and grid synchronization for distributed power generation systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 1398–1409, Oct. 2006.
- Rodr?acute;guez, A. Timbus, R. Teodorescu, M. Liserre, and F. Blaabjerg, "Independent PQ control for distributed power generation systems under grid faults," in Proc. IEEE IECON, 2006, pp. 5185–5190.
- Luna, P. Rodr?acute;guez, R. Teodorescu, and F. Blaabjerg, "Low voltage ride through strategies for SCIG wind turbines in distributed power generation systems," in Proc. IEEE PESC, 2008, pp. 2333–2339.
- Rodriguez, A. Timbus, R. Teodorescu, M. Liserre, and F. Blaabjerg, "Reactive power control for improving wind turbine system behavior under grid faults," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1798– 1801, Jul. 2009.
- Wang, J. L. Duarte, and M. A. Hendrix, "Pliant active and reactive power control for grid-interactive converters under unbalanced voltage dips," IEEE Trans. Power. Electron., vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1511–1521, May 2011.
- Junyent-Ferré, O. Gomis-Bellmunt, T. C. Green, and D. E. Soto-Sánchez, "Current control reference calculation issues for the operation of renewable source grid interface VSCs under unbalanced voltage sags," IEEE Trans. Power. Electron., vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 3744–3753, Dec. 2011.
- Camacho, M. Castilla, J. Miret, J. Vasquez, and E. Alarcon-Gallo, "Flexible voltage support control for three phase distributed generation inverters under grid fault," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 1429–1441, Apr. 2013.
- Martinez and P. C. Kjaer, "Fast voltage control in wind power plants," in Proc. IEEE Power Energy Soc. Gen. Meet., 2011, pp. 1–7.
- Grid Code-High and Extra High Voltage, E. ON Netz GmbH, Bayreuth, Germany, 2006.
- Molinas, D. Moltoni, G. Fascendini, J. A. Suul, and T. Undeland, "Constant power loads in distributed AC systems: An investigation of stability," in Proc. IEEE ISIE, 2008, pp. 1531–1536.
- Jelani and M. Molinas, "Optimal use of power electronic interfaces for loads in distributed systems," in Proc. IEEE ISIE, 2010, pp. 2449–2454.
- Jelani and M. Molinas, "Stability investigation of control system for power electronic converter acting as load interface in AC distribution systems," in Proc. IEEE ISIE, 2011, pp. 408–413.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Porandla Vennela, Thirupathi Allam, A. Abisheker Reddy, "The Control Strategies for Static Synchronous Compensators for Improvement of Voltage under Unbalanced Voltage Sags", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.107-113, September-October-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162526.php