Induction Motor(IM) are known for its power/mass ratio, its efficiency, low cost and maintenance free performance during its life cycle therefore known as workhorses of industries. But huge amount of energy is wasted by IM due to their poor efficiency, also the operating cost is high. Therefore a small increment in efficiency may lead to contribute huge significant effect on the entire energy saving. The main key features in which estimation and re-production of optimal flux component of current (Ids) depends, are loss model control (LMC) and search control (SC). To drive loss-minimization expression, core saturation is considered with d-q loss model of IM. Ids value expression for various load profiles, this loss expression is used to derive optimal Ids expression and tabulation is done. According to the table, a model is designed. The optimal Ids* value can be calculated, which depends upon run-time profile, followed by feed-forward manner and thus eliminates complex computation of run time loss model. Comparison is done between proposed operation that is optimal Ids and constant Ids obtained by conventional method. Increment of 1-12% efficiency is observed.
Bhavana Tiwari, P K Choudhary
Variable speed Drive, Induction Motor, HVDC, Efficiency Optimization
- M. Bazzi and P. T. Krein, "Review of methods for real-time loss minimization in induction machines," IEEE transactions on Industry application, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 2319-2328, November/december 2010.
- F. Fuchsloch, W. R. Finley and R. W. Walter, "The next generation motor: designing a new approach to improve the energy efficiency of NEMA premium motors”, IEEE Conf. 2008.
- Cacciato, A. Consoli, G. Scarcella, G. Scelba and A. Testa, "Efficiency optimization techniques via constant optimal slip control of induction motor drives”, IEEE Conf. SPEEDAM 2006.
- E.H. Benbouzid, and N.S. Nait Said, "An efficiency-optimization controller for induction motor drives”, IEEE Conf. Power Engineering Review, 1998.
- Chen and S. N. Yeh, "Optimal efficiency analysis of induction motors fed by variable-voltage and variable-frequency source”, IEEE Trans. Energy Conversion, Vol. 7, No. 3, 1992.
- O. Garcia, J. C. Mendes Luis, R. M. Stephan and E. H. Watanabe, "Fast efficiency maximizer for adjustable speed induction motor drive," in International Conference on Industrial Electronics, Control, Instrumentation, and Automation, San Diego, CA, 1992.
- FemBndez-Bernal, A. Garcia-Cerrada and R. Faure, "Model-based loss minimization for DC and AC vector controlled motors including core saturation," in Thirty-Fourth IAS annual meeting on Industry Applications, Phoenix, AZ, 1999.
- N. Uddin and S. W. Nam, "New online loss-minimization-based control," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 926 - 933, March 2008.
- Dong and O. Ojo, "Efficiency optimizing control of induction motor using natural variables," IEEE transaction on industrial electronics, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1791-1798, December 2006.
- Qu, M. Ratna, M. Hinkkanen and J. Luomi, "Loss-minimizing flux level control of induction motor drives," vol. 48, no. 3, May/June 2012.
- -F. Stumper, A. Dotlinger and R. Kennel, "Loss minimization of induction machines in dynamic operation," IEEE transactions on energy conversion, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 726-735, September 2013.
- Abrahamsen, F. Blaabjerg, J. K. Pedersen and P. B. Thoegerse, "Efficiency-optimized control of medium-size induction motor drives," IEEE transaction on Industry Application, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1761-1767, November/December 2001.
- E. Fadili, F. Giri, A. E. Margi, R. Lajouad and F. Z. Chaoui, "Towards a global control stratedy for indution motor: speed regulation, flux optimization and power factor correction," international journal of electrical power and energy system, vol. 43, pp. 230-244, December 2012.
- Kioskeridis and N. Margaris, "Loss minimization in scalar-controlled induction motor drives with search controllers," IEEE transaction on power electronics, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 213-220, march 1996.
- Kaboli, M. R. Zolghadri and E. Vahdati-Khajeh, "A fast flux search controller for dtc-based induction motor drives," IEEE trans. Industrial electronics, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 2407-2416, october 2007.
- C. Ta, C. Chakravorty and Y. Hori, "Efficiency maximization of induction motor drives for electric vehicles based on actual measurement of input power," in IEEE conference IECON'O, 2001.
- S. Kirschen, D. W. Novotny and T. A. Lipo, "On-line efficiency optimization of a variable frequency induction motor drive," IEEE transaction on industry application, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 610-616, 1985.
- G. Cleland, V. E. Mccormick and M. W. Turner, "Design of an efficinecy optimization controller for inverter-fed ac induction motors," in Industry application conference, orlando,FL, 1995.
- Rehman and X. Longya, "Alternative energy vehicles drive system: control, flux, torque estimation, and efficinecy optimization," IEEE trans. vehicular technology, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 3625-3634, October 2011.
- N. Vukosavic and E. Levi, "Robust dsp-based efficiency optimization of a variable speed induction motor drive," IEEE transaction on Industrial Electrinocs, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 560-570, June 2003.
- Chakroborty and Y. Hori, "Fast efficiency optimization techniques for the indirect vector-controlled induction motor drives," IEEE transaction on industry application, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 1070-1076, July/August 2003.
- Chakraborty, C. T. Minh, T. Uchida and Y. Hori, "Fast search controllers for efficinecy maximization of induction motor drives based on dc link power measurement," in Power conversion conference, Osaka, 2002.
- Qu, M. Ranta, M. Hinkkanen and J. Luomi, "Loss-minimizing flux level control of induction motor drives”, IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, Vol. 48, No. 3, May/June 2012.
- Pryymak, J. M. Moreno-Eguilaz and J. Peracaula, "Neural network flux optimization using a model of losses in induction motor drives," in 8th international conference on modeling and simulation f electric machines, converters and systems, 2006.
- E. Ebrahim, M. A. Badr, A. S. Elgendy and P. K. Jain, "ANN-based optimal energy control of induction motor drives in pumping applications," IEEE transaction on energy conversion, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 652-660, September 2010.
- Li and Y.-R. Zhong, "Efficiency optimization of induction machines based on fuzzy search controller," in machine learning cybernetics, 2005.
- C. D. s. B. K. B. and J. G. c. , "fuzzy logic based on-line efficiency optimization control of an indirect vector controlled induction motor drive," in International Conference on Industrial Electronics, Control, and Instrumentation, Maui, HI, 1993.
- Sundareswaran and S. Palani, "fuzzy logic approach for energy efficient voltage controlled induction motor drive," in IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems, 1999.
- H. M. Yatim and W. M. Utomo, "Efficiency optimization of variables speed induction motor drives using online back propogation," in Power and energy conference, 2006.
- K. Choudhary, S. P. Dubey and V. K. Gupta, "Efficiency Optimization of induction motor drive at steady state condition," in Conference on Control Insturmentation, Communication and Computational Technologies, pp.470-475, 2015.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Bhavana Tiwari, P K Choudhary, "Efficiency and Performance Optimization of Induction Motor Drive", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.53-62, September-October-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET16254.php