MANET has been gaining the popularity because of its ease of implementation. One of the major elements in MANET is routing protocol, which consists of two main protocols: proactive and reactive routing protocols. In this work, we focus on proactive protocol called OLSR (Optimize Link State Routing Protocol), where the routes are always maintained by interchanging control overhead, namely HELLO and TC (Topology Control) messages. However, the resource is very wasteful and this causes the performance degradation. We propose the method to reduce the control overhead while maintaining the throughput of OLSR and also reducing the power consumption by using the well-known mathematic tool, which is widely used in interactive decision systems. Our proposed method is modified OLSR. We also investigate the effect of OLSR on power consumption of nodes based on two type of Medium Access Control (MAC) protocol; IEEE 802.11 MAC and Sensor Medium Access Control (SMAC) protocol used in mobile sensor network. OLSR is modified in such a way that every node in the system when HELLO and TC interval are expired. Each node will choose its strategy to “Update” or “Not update” the HELLO and TC messages. The performance in terms of control overhead and throughput of the proposed algorithm is evaluated by using parameters namely Routing Overhead (RO), Average Throughput. However, the performance in terms of power consumption is evaluated by metrics called Average Power Consumption of nodes in two states (transmission and reception). According to the simulation results, it is apparent that the proposed OLSR Modified algorithm (MOLSR) provides large RO reduction while the Average Throughput is reduced a little bit. The power consumption of the network in all states is also reduced. That is, the proposed algorithm modification in HELLO and TC message can reduce the certain amount of Control Overhead as well as the Power Consumption while the Average Throughput is reduced a little bit. Therefore, Theoretical OLSR is able to support energy-efficient MANET in various node mobility and node density environments.
Prof. Amit Mishra, Sourabh Yadav
HELLO and TC messages, MANET, OLSR, MAC Protocol, RO, MOLSR
- L. Andreas Tonnesen. Optimized link state routin protocol deamon (olsrd), 2010. http://www.olsr.org/releases/0.6/olsrd-0.6.0.tar.bz2.
- Chelius, E. Fleury, and L. Toutain. No administration proto- col (nap) for ipv6 router auto-configuration. In Advanced Infor- mation Networking and Applications, 2005. AINA 2005. 19th International Conference on, volume 2, pages 801 – 806 vol.2, march 2005.
- Cheshire and B. Aboba. Dynamic configuration of ipv4 link- local addresses, draft-ietf.zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-03.txt, 2001. Internet Engineering Task Force, Zeroconf Working Group, June 2001.
- Dhillon, T. S. Randhawa, M. Wang, and L. Lamont. Imple- menting a fully distributed certificate authority in an olsr manet. 2004.
- Droms, E. Cisco, J. Bound, H. Packard, B. Volz, et al. Dynamic host configuration protocol for ipv6 (dhcpv6).
- o. M. F. Ros, P. Ruiz. Extensible manet auto-configuration protocol (emap), 2006. http://masimum.dif.um.es/fjrm/ downloads/draft-ros-autoconf-emap-02.html.
- T. for Bellcore and T. N. for IBM. Ipv6 stateless address auto- configuration, 1998.
- Galano. Proposition of a mechanism to divide a manet net- work into subnetworks of given size. 2005.
- Gilaberte and L. Herrero. Automatic configuration of ad- hoc networks: Establishing unique ip link-local addresses. In Emerging Security Information, Systems, and Technologies, 2007. SecureWare 2007. The International Conference on, pages 157 –162, oct. 2007.
- C. J. Macker. Ietf mobile ad hoc networks (manet) work- ing group charter. ”http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/manet- charter.html”.
- Javed, F. ul Islam, and A. Pirzada. Performance analysis of olsr protocol in a mobile ad hoc wireless network. In Computer, Control and Communication, 2009. IC4 2009. 2nd International Conference on, pages 1 –5, 2009.
- Jenkins. Algorithm alley,2005. http://burtleburtle.net/bob/hash/doobs.html.
- Joshi and P. Rege. Distributed energy efficient routing in ad hoc networks. In Wireless Communication and Sensor Net- works, 2008. WCSN 2008. Fourth International Conference on, pages 16 –21, dec. 2008.
- Kumar. Mobile wireless adhoc networks manet, 2004. im- age url http://harishkumarhn.50webs.com/research. html#Mobile%20wireless%20Adhoc%20Networks% 20MANET.
- Lebegue, C. Bidan, and T. Plesse. An olsr extension to deal with predefined groups. In Mobile and Wireless Communica- tions Summit, 2007. 16th IST, pages 1 –5, july 2007.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Prof. Amit Mishra, Sourabh Yadav, "Improving Optimal Route Selection and Load Balancing with Dynamic MPR Selection through modified TC and HELLO Message using OLSR Protocol in Mobile Adhoc Network ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.262-267, September-October-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162552.php