The current study includes the collection, isolation and characterization of sulphate oxidizing bacteria from the cattle manure compost dumpings from Namakkal district. Thereafter, three different sulphate oxidizing bacterial isolates such as Bacillus sp, Klebsiella sp, Pseudomonas so etc were isolated. The sulphate oxidation by these bacteria was optimized and it estimated quantitatively. The present study was aimed in studying the application of sulphate oxidizing bacteria as biofertilizers. Also, if the cattle manure compost studied are used as biofertilizers they would improve and enhance the soil vitality and fertility. They would be a best alternative for chemical fertilizers.
J.Jamuna Devi, R. Dhandapani, V. Lavanya
Cattle Manure, Sulphate Oxidizers, Biofertilizer, Biomanuring
- Khan, G. Jilani, M.S. Akhtar, M., Rasheed,M., Phosphorus solubilizing Bacteria ; Occurrence, Mechanisms and their role in crop production. J.Agric.biol.sci., 2009, 1(1) : 48-58.
- R. Swain, R.C. Ray Biocontrol And Other Beneficial Activities Of Bacillus Subtilis Isolated From Cowdung Microflora. Microbiological Research, 2009, 164: 121—130.
- Periyasamy Rameshkumar, Shanmukhanand Pothana, Koppulan Vijayaraj Govindasamy Manivannan and Prabhu, Identification and Purification of Membrane-Bound NAD (P) + - Dependent D-Glucose Dehydrogenase (nGDH) and Thiosulfate Dehydrogenase (TDH) from Cattle Manure Inhabitant Sulphur-Oxidizing Pseudomonas International Journal of Advanced Research , 2014, 2 (5), 665-674.
- Priyanka, M. Sivaji, R. Sridar, Isolation and Characterization Of A Novel Multifunctional Sulphur Oxidizing Bacterium (Sob) And Its Use As Biofertilizer. International Science Journal. 2014 , 28-34.
- Rajagopal vidyalakshmi, R. Sridar, Isolation And Characterization Of Sulphur Oxidizing Bacteria . Journal Of Culture Collections, 2006, 73-77.
- Rangasamy Anandham, Ragupathy sridar, periyakaruppan nalayini, munusamy madhaiyan, pandiyan indira Gandhi, kwan-Ho choi and Tong min sa, Isolation Of Sulfur Oxidizing Bacteria From Different Ecological Niches. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. ,2005, 38(4), 180-187.
- S Vidhyasri, R. Sridar, Development Of A Carrier Based Formulation Of Sulphur Oxidizing Bacterium For Enhancing The Productivity Of Crops Requiring Sulphur Nutrition. Basic. Appl. Sci. Res., 2011, 1(5)345-353.
- Zehra Ekin, Performance of phosphate solubilizing bacteria for improving growth and yield of sunflower (Helianthus annuus ) in the presence of phosphorus fertilizer. African Journal of Biotechnology, 2010, 9(25), 3794-3800.
- Nopparat Chalit, Jatupornpipat Marisa, and Rittiboon Aree, Isolation of Phosphate Solubilizing Fungi in soil from Kanchanburi, Thailand. KMITL Sci. Tech.J., 2007, 7: 2.
- A. Greene, C. Hubert, M. Nemati, G. E. Jenneman And G. Voordouw Nitrite Reductase Activity Of Sulphate-Reducing Bacteria Prevents Their Inhibition By Nitrate-Reducing, Sulphideoxidizing. Bacteria Environmental Microbiology, 2003, 5(7), 607–617.
- Claudia Vannini, Giuliomunz, Gualtieromori, Claudiolubello, Francoverni, Giulio Petroni Sulphide Oxidation To Elemental Sulphur In A Membrane Bioreactor: Performance And Characterization Of The Selected Microbial Sulphur-Oxidizing Community. Systematic And Applied Microbiology, 2008, 31: 461–473.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
J.Jamuna Devi, R. Dhandapani, V. Lavanya, "Microbial Characterization of Sulphate Oxidizing Bacteria Isolated from Cattle Manure Compost", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.331-336, September-October-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET16256.php