Masonry infill walls are mainly used to increase initial stiffness and strength of reinforced concrete (RC) frame buildings .It is mainly considered as a non-structural element. In many cities of India, it is very common to leave the first storey of masonry infilled reinforcement concrete (RC) frame building open preliminary to generate parking space or any other purposes (Ex-Reception lobbies) .This Open First storey is also termed as "Soft Storey". The upper storeys have brick infilled wall panels with various opening percentage in it. These types of buildings are highly undesirable in seismically active areas because various vertical irregularities are created in such buildings which have consistently performed very poor behaviour during past earthquake. Therefore it is important to take immediate measures to prevent the indiscriminate use of soft first storeys in buildings, which are designed without regard to the increased displacement and force demands in the first storey columns. The current study investigates the seismic response of reinforced concrete moment resisting-frame multi-story buildings with soft storey or open storey located at different levels with and without opening and designed according to the IS code. Building models are bare frame, infilled frame with soft storey at GL, FF and TF and infilled frame with soft storey at three different levels along with 10% and 30% centre and corner openings. Infill panel effect is induced in the structure by using Equivalent Diagonal strut method. This research made an attempt to strengthen the soft storey by different methods. Thus linear static analysis is to be carried out on the models by using computer software ETABS from which different parameters are computed.
Nusfa Karuvattil, Priyanka Dilip P
Masonry infill, SS (Soft storey), Moment Resisting frame, linear static analysis, Equivalent Diagonal strut
- IS 1893(Part-I)-2002, “Criteria for Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures” (Fifth Revision)
- Jaswant N. Arlekar, et al (1997), “Seismic Response of RC Frame Buildings with Soft First Storeys” Proceedings of the CBRI Golden Jubilee Conference on Natural Hazards in Urban Habitat, 1997, New Delhi.
- Haroon Rasheed Tamboli et al (2012) “Seismic Analysis of RC Frame Structure with and without Masonry Infill Walls” Indian Journal of Natural Sciences International Bimonthly ISSN: 0976 – 0997 Vol.3 / Issue 14/ October.
- Md Rihan Maaze, S. S. Dyavanal(2013), “Seismic Evaluation Of Mutistorey Building With SS”, IC-RICE Conference Issue | Nov
- Dhadde Santosh (2014) “Evaluation and Strengthening Of SS Building” International Journal of Ethics in Engineering & Management Education, ISSN: 2348-4748, Volume 1, Issue 5
- Magdy Genidy et al (2015), “Seismic Response Evaluation of Moment-Resisting-Frame Multi-Story Buildings with Soft Story” International Journal of Civil and Structural Engineering Research Vol. 3, Issue 1
- FEMA 273-1997, “NEHRP Guidelines for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings”, Developed by the Building Seismic Safety Council for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Report No. FEMA 273), Washington, D.C.
- Suchita Hirde et al (2013), “Effect Of Modeling Of Infill Walls On Performance Of Multi Story Rc Building” International Journal of Civil Engineering and Technology (IJCIET), Volume 4, Issue 4, July-August.
- Nikhil S. Agrawal, Prof. P. B Kulkarni (2013), “Static Analysis of Masonry Infilled R.C.Frame With &Without Opening Including SS of Symmetric Building” IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE) Volume 3, Issue ISSN 2250-315
- Mouzzoun (2014) “Seismic performance assessment of infill reinforced Concrete frame buildings with SS” Journal of Environmental Science, Computer Science and Engineering & Technology JECET, Vol.3.No.2, 1035-1047.
- FEMA- 308 (1999).
- Marina L. Moretti et al (2014) “Design of Reinforced Concrete Infilled Frames” Journal of Structural Engineering.140.
- Mohammad H. Jinya, V. R. Patel (2014) “Analysis Of RC Frame With And Without Masonry Infill Wall With Different Stiffness With Outer Central Opening” International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology eISSN: 2319-1163 | pISSN: 2321-7308
- Miss Jewalikar Gauri Anantrao, Prof. Sangave Prakarsh A. January (2015) “Structural response of High rise Building with open ground storey” International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Volume 6, Issue 1.
- Umadevi R March (2015) “Seismic Performance of A RC Frame With SS Criteria” IJRET: International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology Volume: 04 Issue: 03.
- Hyun Ko, Yong-Koo Park and Dong-Guen Lee., (2008) “Evaluation of Seismic Behaviour for Low-Rise RC Moment Resisting Frame with Masonry Infill Walls” 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China, October 12-17, 2008.
- Mulgund G. V. and Dr. Kulkarni A. B (2013) “Seismic Assessment of RC Frame Buildings With Brick Masonry Infills”, International Journal Of Advanced Engineering Sciences And Technologies, Vol No. 2, Issue No. 2, 140 – 147.
- V. R Murthy, Sudhir Jain(2000), “Beneficial Influence Of Masonry Infill Walls On Seismic Performance Of Rc Frame Buildings” proceedings of twelfth world conference of earthquake engineering, 2000
- Sharany Haque and Khan Mahmud Amanat(2009), “Strength and Drift Demand of Columns of RC Framed Buildings with Soft Ground Story” Journal of Civil Engineering (IEB), 37 (2) (2009) 99-110
- Indumathy and Dr.B.P. Annapurna (2012), “Non–Linear Analysis of Multistoried Infilled Frame with SS and with Window Openings of Different Mortar Ratios” Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in Architecture and Civil Engineering (AARCV 2012), 21st – 23rd June 2012
- Z. Kabir and P. Shadan(2011), “Seismic Performance of 3D-Panel Wall on Piloti RC Frame Using Shaking Table Equipment” Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Structural Dynamics, EURODYN 2011 Leuven, Belgium, 4-6 July 2011
- B. Karwar and Dr. R. S. Londhe(2014), “Performance of RC Framed Structure by Using Pushover Analysis” International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering
- S.Kasnale and Dr. S.S.Jamkar (2013), “Study of Seismic Performance for Soft Basement of RC framed Buildings.” International Journal of Engineering Sciences& Research Technology
- Seval Pinarbasi and Dimitrios Konstantinidis(2007), “Seismic Isolation for SS Buildings” 10th World Conference on Seismic Isolation, Energy Dissipation and Active Vibrations Control of Structures, Istanbul, Turkey, May 28-31, 2007
- Mizan Dogan and Dr. Nevzat Kirac(2002), “SS Behaviour in Earthquake and Samples of Izmit – Duzce” ECAS 2002 Uluslarararas? Yap? ve Deprem Mühendisli?i Sempozyumu, 14 Ekim 2002, Orta Do?u Teknik Üniversitesi, Ankara, Türkiye
- Diana M. Samoila(2012) “ Analytical modelling of masonry infills” Civil Engineering and architecture Vol.55 No.2 (2012)
- Mehmet Alper Altuntop(2007), “Analysis of building structures with soft stories” The graduate school of natural and applied sciences of Atilim university, october 2007
- Patil S.S. and Mr. Sagare S.D (2013), “Dynamic Analysis of SS-High Rise Building with Shear Wall”, International Journal of Civil Engineering Research & Applications (IJCERA), Vol. 1 Issue 4, August – 2013
- Salah El-Din Fahmy Taher and Hamdy Mohy El-Din Afefy. (2008) “Role of Masonry Infill in Seismic Resistance of RC Structures” , The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, October 2008, Vol.33.
- K. Bell and B.J.Davidson., (2001) “Evaluation of Earthquake Risk Buildings with Masonry Infill Panels”, NZSEE Conference, Paper No.4.02.01.
- Michele calvi and Davide bolognini and Andrea PENNA., (2004) “Seismic Performance of Masonry-Infilled R.C. Frames: Benefits of Slight Reinforcements”, 6th Congresso Nacional de Sismologia e Engenharia Sísmica, 253- 276.
- ATC 40-1996, “Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Concrete Buildings”, Volume 1, ATC-40 Report, Applied Technology Council, Redwood City, California.
- IS 456-2000 Code of Practice for Plain and Reinforced Concrete”
- IS 13920-1993 “Ductile Detailing of Reinforced Concrete Structures subjected to Seismic Forces”, Code of Practice.
- IS: 875 1987, Part 2 Imposed Loads, “Design loads (other than earthquake) for buildings and structures”.
- IS: 875 1987, Part 3 Wind Loads,” Design loads (other than earthquake) for buildings and structures”.
- IS 4326:1993 “Earthquake Resistant Design and Construction of Buildings”, Code of Practice (Second Revision)
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Nusfa Karuvattil, Priyanka Dilip P, "Linear static analysis of masonry infilled soft storey RC buildings with and without opening for earthquake resistant design", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.226-235, September-October-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162566.php