The voltage instability occurs in power system when the system is unable to maintain an acceptable voltage profile under an increasing load demand and / or configuration changes the operating conditions of the presents day distribution systems are closer to the voltage stability boundaries due to the ever increasing load demand. Capacitors have long been used in power system for providing reactive power support, which reduces power and energy losses, increase the available capacity of the feeders, and improves the feeder voltage profile. In this work, a method employing the Ant Colony Search Algorithm (ACSA) has been developed for the capacitor placement in a view to enhance voltage stability besides improving voltage profile and reducing losses. The proposed technique has been tested on 28 node distribution systems. It has been found that the proposed method provides highly satisfactory results.
K Naveenkumar, A. Arthi, R Kalaiselvi
Ant Colony Search Algorithm, Capacitor Placement, Voltage Stability, Distribution System
- J. Grainger and S. H. Lee, “Optimum size and location of shunt capacitors for reduction of losses on distribution feeders,” IEEE Trans.Power App. Syst., vol. PAS-100, pp. 1105–1118, Mar. 1981.
- J. Grainger and S. H. Lee, “Capacity release by shunt capacitor placement on distribution feeder: A new voltage-dependent model,” IEEE Trans. Power App. Syst., vol. PAS-101, no. 5, pp. 1236–1244, May 1982.
- Duran, “Optimum number, location, and size of shunt capacitors in radial distribution feeder: A dynamic programming approach,” IEEE Trans. Power App. Syst., vol. PAS-87, no. 9, pp. 1769–1774, Sep. 1968.
- Baghzouz and S. Ertem, “Shunt capacitor sizing for radial distribution feeders with distorted substation voltages,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 650–657, Apr. 1990.
- L. Bala, P. A. Kuntz, and R. M. Taylor, “Sensitivity-based optimal capacitor placement on a radial distribution feeder,” in Proc. 1995 Northcon 95 IEEE Technical Application Conf., pp. 225–230.
- D. Chiang, J. C. Wang, O. Cocking, and H. D. Shin, “Optimal capacitors placements in distribution systems, part I: A new formulation of the overall problem,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 5, no. 2, pp.634–642, Apr. 1990.
- Sundhararajan and A. Pahwa, “Optimal selection of capacitor for radial distribution systems using a genetic algorithm,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 1499–1507, Aug. 1994.
- A. S. Masoum, M. Ladjevardi, A. Jafarian, and E. F. Fuchs, “Optimal placement, replacement and sizing of capacitor banks in distorted distribution networks by genetic algorithms,” IEEE Trans. Power Del.,vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 1794–1801, Oct. 2004.
- Mendes, P.M. Franca, C. Lyra, C. Pissarra, and C. Cavellucci, “Capacitor placement in large-sized radial distribution networks,” Proc.Inst. Elect. Eng., Gen., Transm., Distrib., vol. 152, no. 4, pp. 496–502,Jul. 2005.
- Venkatesh and R. Ranjan, “Fuzzy EP algorithm and dynamic data structure for optimal capacitor allocation in radial distribution systems,” Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng., Gen., Transm., Distrib., vol. 153, no.1, pp. 80–88, Jan. 2006.
- Civanlar, J. J. Grainger,H.Yin, and S. S. H. Lee, “Distribution feeder recon?guration for loss reduction,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 1217–1223, Jul. 1988.
- E. Baran and F. F.Wu, “Network recon?guration in distribution systems for loss reduction and load balancing,” IEEE Trans. Power Del.,vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 1401–1407, Apr. 1989.
- Prasad, R. Ranjan, N. C. Sahoo, and A. Chaturvedi, “Optimal recon?guration of radial distribution systems using a fuzzy mutated genetic algorithm,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 1211–1213,Apr. 2005.
- Shirmohammadi and H. W. Hong, “Recon?guration of electric distribution networks for resistive line loss reduction,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 1492–1498, Apr. 1989.
- D. Chiang and J. J. Rene, “Optimal network recon?guration in distribution systems: Part 1: A new formulation and a solution methodology,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 1902–1908, Oct.1990.
- D. Chiang and J. J. Rene, “Optimal network recon?guration in distribution systems: Part 2: Solution algorithms and numerical results,”IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 1568–1574, Jul. 1992.
- Su and C. S. Lee, “Network recon?guration of distribution systems using improved mixed-integer hybrid differential evolution,”IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 1022–1027, Jul. 2003.
- Miguel and S. H. Hernán, “Distribution network con?guration for minimum energy supply cost,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 19,no. 1, pp. 538–542, Feb. 2004.
- B.Delbem, A. C. P. de L. F. de Carvalho, and N.G. Bretas, “Main chain representation for evolutionary algorithms applied to distribution system econ?guration,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 20, no. 1, pp.425–436, Feb. 2005.
- Das, “A fuzzy multiobjective approach for network recon?guration of distribution systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 21, no. 1, pp.202–209, Jan. 2006.
- Rong, P. Xiyuan, H. Jinliang, and S. Xinfu, “Recon?guration and capacitor placement for loss reduction of distribution systems,” in Proc.IEEE TENCON’02, 2002, pp. 1945–1949.
- Su and C. S. Lee, “Feeder recon?guration and capacitor setting for loss reduction of distribution systems,” Elect. Power Syst. Res., vol.58, no. 2, pp. 97–102, Jun. 2001.
- Peponis, M. P. Papadopoulos, and N. D. Hatziargyiou, “Optimal operation of distribution networks,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 11,no. 1, pp. 59–67, Feb. 1996.
- Jiang and R. Baldick, “Optimal electric distribution systems switch recon?guration and capacitor control,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol.11, no. 2, pp. 890–897, May 1996.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
K Naveenkumar, A. Arthi, R Kalaiselvi, "Optimal Capacitor Placement for loss Reduction N Distribution System", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.296-303, September-October-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162576.php