An annotated checklist of snakes is prepared on basis of the collected information from survey during Jan.2012- Jan.2014. The objective of the study included evaluation of species composition, relative abundance and distribution of snake fauna of the chosen region. A total of 14 species belonging to 5 families were recorded of which 10 Non Venomous species and 4 venomous were identified. Among the species recorded 1species where from Typhlopidae, 2 from Boidae, 1 from Pythonidae, 7 from Colubridae and 3 from Elapidae family. This information will helps to provide information, awareness and conservation of the fauna in Chincholi forest, Kalaburagi district.
Vinay Pasar, Ravindra Paul
Abundance, Chincholi forest, Snakes.
- Bhupaty, S. and Vijayan, V. S. (1989). Status, Distribution and General Ecology of the Indian Python, Python moiurus molurus Linn, in Keoladeo National Park, Bharatpur, Rajasthan. J Bombay nat. Hist. Soc. 86 (3): 381-386.
- Boulenger, G.A. (1890). The Fauna of British India including, Ceylon and Burma. Reptilia and Batrachia, London.
- Cazaly, W. H. (1914). The Common Snakes of India and Burma and how to recognise them. Pioneer Press, Allahabad (Reprinted) 1984. International Book Distributors, Dehra Dun.
- Gohil, K. (1983): Shukla's snake service in Bhavnagar. Hamadryad 8(1):14.
- Gunther, A (1864). “The Reptiles o f British India”. Reprinted. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. New Delhi.
- Joshi Prasanna Subhash (2011) A Preliminary Survey on the Snakes of Buldhana district, Maharashtra, Golden Research Thoughts ISSN No. 2231- 5063, Vol. 1, Issue. II/Agust 11pp.1-4
- Murthy, T. S. N. (1985): Classification and distribution of the reptiles of India. The Snake. 17:48-71.
- Prakash, I. (1991). Ecological Role of Snakes In "Snakes and Human Welfare" (Ed. Director, Zoological Survey of India) Z.S.I. Calcutta.
- Rage, J.C. (1987) Fossil History, In “Snakes Ecology and Evolutionary, v. Biology” (eds. Seigel, R.A- Collins, J.T. and Novak S.S.) pp 51-76, Macmillan publishing company, New York.
- Sharma, R.C.(1982): Taxonomic and ecological studies on the reptiles of Gujrat, India. Rec. Zool Survey of Ind. 80:85-108.
- Smith, M.A. 1943. The Fauna of British India including Ceylon and Burma. Reptilia and Amphibia, Vol.III. Serpentes. Taylor and Francis. London.
- Ufri, A.J. (1999): A snake conservation programme of Sundarvan Nature Discovery Centre, Ahmedabad (Gujrat, India) an evaluation . Zoos Print Journal, 14:7-10
- Vyas, R. (2000): A review of reptile studies in Gujrat state Zoos Print Journal,15 (12):386-390
- Whittakar, R. and Captain, A. (2004): Snakes of India- The field Guide. Draco Books.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Vinay Pasar, Ravindra Paul, "A Preliminary Survey of Snake Fauna in and around Chincholi Forest, Kalaburagi District Karnataka, India", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.342-344, September-October-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162586.php