The global utilization of electric discharge machining is proving as a smart machining process among the tool makers for the production of molds and dies. In the Industrial tool room survey it is observed that the critical aspect of the EDM technology is the availability of machining data in terms of tuned process parameter as on needed basis. As the electrode undergoes wear continuously in spark phenomenon, therefore detailed knowledge with regards to optimization on tool wear is essential in order to improve accuracy in designing the electrodes and surface quality. In this paper experimental investigation is carried out to improve performance measures in terms of tool wear rate by optimizing the process variables, particularly in ram electric discharge machining. Design of experimentation (DOE) and ANOVA for optimization of process parameters is investigated in order to improve the responses of the machining in terms of lowering tool wear rate within work interval of semi finish machining.
A. D. Urade, V. S. Deshpande
Electric Discharge Machining (EDM), Tool Wear Rate (TWR), Orthogonal Array.
- Puertas, C.J. Luis, L. Alvarez , “Analysis of the influence of EDM parameters on surface quality, MRR and EW of WC–Co”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 153–154 (2004) 1026–1032.
- Dastagiri, A. Hemantha Kumar, “Experimental Investigation of EDM Parameters on Stainless Steel&En41b”, Procedia Engineering 97 ( 2014 ) 1551 – 1564.
- Rajmovan, R. Prabhu, G. Subbarao, “Optimisation of machining parameters in electrical discharge machining of 304 Stainless steel”, Journal of Procedia Engineering 38, ( 2012 ) 1030-1036.
- S. Soni, G. Chakraverti, “Investigative study on metal removal rate and wear ratio in EDM of high carbon high chromium die steel”, Journal of Industrial Engineering, 71 (1991)
- S. Soni, G. Chakraverti, “Effect of electrode material properties on surface roughness and dimensional accuracy in electro-discharge machining of high carbon high chromium die steel”, Journal of Industrial Engineering,76 (1995) 46–51.
- Singh, S. Maheshwari, P.C. Pandey, “Some investigations into the electric discharge machining of hardened tool steel using different electrode materials”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 149 (2004) 272–277.
- J. Luis, I. Puertas, G.Villa, “Material removal rate and electrode wear study on the EDM of silicon carbide”, J. Mater. Process. Technol. 164–165 (2005) 889–896.
- Ojha, R. K. Garg, K. K. Singh, “MRR Improvement in Sinking Electrical Discharge Machining: A Review”, Journal of Minerals & Materials Characterization & Engineering, Vol. 9, No.8, (2010) 709-739
- Y. Yu, K.P. Rajurkar and H. Shen, “High aspect ratio and complex shaped blind micro holes by micro EDM”, Annals of the CIRP, Vol. 51 (1), (2002), 359-362.
- H. Ho and S.T. Newman, “State of the art electrical discharge machining (EDM)”, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 43, (2003), 1287-1300.
- Zarepour , A. Fadaei Tehrani , D. Karimi , S. Amini, “Statistical analysis on electrode wear in EDM of tool steel DIN 1.2714 used in forging dies”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 187–188 (2007) 711–714.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
A. D. Urade, V. S. Deshpande, "Experimental Investigations of EDM Process Parameters for Tool Wear Rate Based on Orthogonal Array", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.415-419, September-October-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162588.php