The purpose of the present study was to investigate the influence of cultural conditions and environmental parameters affecting the growth and bioactive metabolite production of the fungi Aspergillus flavus (MTTC-3396) which exhibits a broad spectrum of in vitro antibacterial activity against human infecting bacterial pathogens and the high bioactive metabolites production. The effect of various parameters viz., incubation time, temperature, pH, carbon and nitrogen sources, and sodium chloride concentration on antibacterial metabolite production were studied by varying single parameter at a time. It was found that metabolite production by this isolate was greatly influenced by various cultural conditions. The optimum carbon source starch, nitrogen source beef extract, pH 6.0, temperature at 40oC, 3 % NaCl concentration and incubation period of 144 h were found for the maximum metabolite production.
Kalyani. P, Geetha. S, Hemalatha. K. P. J
Aspergillus flavus (MTCC-3396), Metabolite production, Optimization.
- Calvo AM, Wilson RA, Bok JW, Keller NP. Relationship between secondary metabolism and fungal development. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 2002; 66: 447–459.
- Keller NP, Turner G, Bennett JW. Fungal secondary metabolism – from biochemistry to genomics. Nat Rev Microbiol 2005; 3: 937–947.
- Elaasser MM, Abdel-Aziz MM, El-Kassas RA. (2011). Antioxidant, antimicrobial, antiviral and antitumor activities of pyranone derivative obtained from Aspergillus candidus. J Microbiol Biotech Res 1:5-17.
- Bacon, C. W.; White, J. F. Microbial Endophytes, Marcel Dekker inc. New York (2000).
- Gallo ML, Seldes AM, Cabrera GM. Antibiotic longchain α-unsaturated aldehydes from the culture of the marine fungus Cladosporium sp. Biochem. Systemat. Ecol. 32, 2004, 551-554.
- Sekiguchi, J. and Gaucher, G. M. 1977. Conidiogenesis and secondary metabolism in Penicillium urticae. Appl Environ Microbiol 33:147-158.
- John, M., Krohn, K., Florke, U., Aust, H. J., Draeger, S. and Schulz, B. 1999. Biologically active secondary metabolites from fungi. 12. (1) Oidiolactones A-F, labdane diterpene derivatives isolated from Oidiodendron truncate. J Nat Prod 62:1218-1221.
- Schulz, B., Boyle, C., Draeger, S., Rommert, A. and Krohn, K. 2002. Endophytic fungi: a source of novel biologically active secondary metabolites. Mycol Res 106:996-1004.
- Keller , N. P ., Turner, G. and Bennett, J. W. 2005. Fungal secondary metabolism - from biochemistry to genomics. Nat Rev Microbiol 3:937-947.
- Gao, L., Sun, M. H., Liu, X. Z. and Che, Y. S. 2007. Effects of carbon concentration and carbon to nitrogen ratio on the growth and sporulation of several biocontrol fungi. Mycol Res 111: 87-92.
- Wang, J., Huang, Y., Fang, M., Zhang, Y., Zheng, Z., Zhao, Y. and Su, W. 2002. Brefeldin A, a cytotoxin produced by Paecilomyces sp. and Aspergillus clavatus isolated from Taxus mairei and Torreya grandis. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 34:51-57.
- Maria, G. L., Sridhar, K. R., Raviraja, N. S. 2005. Antimicrobial and enzyme activity of mangrove endophytic fungi of southwest coast of India. J Agric Technol 1:67-80.
- Kumar, C. G., Mongolla, P., Joseph, J., Nageswar, Y. V. D. and Kamal, A. 2010. Antimicrobial activity from the extracts of fungal isolates of soil and dung samples from Kaziranga National Park, Assam, India. J Med Mycol 20:283-289.
- Tayung, K. and Jha, D. K. 2007. Antimicrobial activity of a compound produced by Aspergillus sp. DEF 505, an endophyte on Taxus baccata. J Microbial World 9: 287-292.
- Miao, Li., Kwong, T. F. N. and Qian, P. Y. 2006. Effect of culture conditions on mycelial growth, antibacterial activity and metabolite profiles of the marine-derived fungus Arthrinium c.f. saccharicola. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 72:1063-1073.
- Kok, C. J. and Papert, A. 2002. Effect of temperature on in vitro interactions between Verticillium chlamydosporium and other Meloidogyne-associated microorganisms. BioControl 47:603-606.
- Gogoi, D. K., Deka Boruah, H. P., Saikia, R. and Bora, T. C. 2008. Optimization of process parameters for improved production of bioactive metabolite by a novel endophytic fungus Fusarium sp. DF2 isolated from Taxus wallichiana of North East India. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 24:79-87.
- Bhattacharyya PN, Jha DK, International Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmceutical technology., 2011, 2(4): 133-145.
- Thakur D, Bora TC, Bordoloi GN, Mazumdar S, J. Med. Mycol., 2009,19: 161-167.
- Peighamy-Ashnaei S, Sharifi-Tehrani A, Ahmadzadeh M, Behboudi K, Commun. Agric. Appl. Biol. Sci., 2007,72: 951-6.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Kalyani. P, Geetha. S, Hemalatha. K. P. J, "In Vitro
, Optimization of Antibacterial Activity of Secondary Metabolites Produced By Aspergillus Flavus
(Mtcc-3396)", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.487-491, September-October-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162589.php