Nature has bestowed on us very rich botanical wealth and a large number of diverse type of plants grown in different parts of our country. The Materia medica of various indigenous system of medicines practiced in India has become extensive and heterogenous1.the present study reveals about the Indian medicinal plant Clitoria ternatea (L) focussed about the gastroprotective activity. It is commonly known as butterfly pea belonging the family (fabaceae).The useful parts are leaf, root, stem, bark, seeds and flower2.the study focussed about various aspects of clitoria ternatea, the preliminary phytochemical studies of Clitoria ternatea extract shows the presence of alkaloids, flavonoids, tannins, carbohydrates, and glycosides on experimental basis the methanolic extract of Clitoria ternateae posses significant Anti ulcer activity by various methods like Pyloric ligation method, Ethanol induced method, Aspirin induced method and Loperamide induced Laxative activity. All test samples were found to reduced the gastric acid to significant extend (P<0.001) as Rantidine compared to control Group. The extract posses that the methanolic extract of Clitoria ternatea can suppress gastric damage induced by various aggressive factors , similarly posses the laxative activity on experimental animal models.
S. Gopi Krishnan, J. John Wesley, M. Vennila
CPSCEA, Pyloric Ligation Method, Clitoria Ternatea, Cremalex, Loperamide, Sodium Picosulphate, Aciloc Injection, Methanol
- Bhattarchjee, S. K., Dr. Supriyakumar.; Handbook of medicinal Plants,Pointer Jaipur,P-2-3.
- S. B, C. E. Kokate, Practical Phamacognosy, 5th edition , CBS,1999.
- Chopra, R. N., Nayar, S. l., Chopra, K; Glossary of Indian medicinal Plants, council of scientific and industrial research 1985,P-4-6.
- T. E, text book of Pharmacognosy, 5th edition, CBS, 1999.
- S. B, C. E. Kokate Practical Pharmacognosy, Nirali Prakashav Publisher 6th Edition,2004
- Pulok.K.Mukherjee,Ph.D., Quality control of Herbal drugs, Ist edition Business horizons Publishers,2002, India.
- Systemic evaluation of anti ulcer activity of herbal formulation ‘chandanasava’ in Rats. Pankaj dixit, Praveen Sharma*,Dinesh kumar Jain Vikas jharia.
- First report on laxative activity of citrullus lanatus swapnil sharmaa, sarvesh paliwala,jaya dwivedia & amita tilakba department of pharmacy , Banasthali university Banasthali department of Pharmacy , GSVM medical college, Kanpur(U.P)
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
S. Gopi Krishnan, J. John Wesley, M. Vennila, "Pharmacological Evaluation of Indian Medicinal Clitoria Ternatea (L)
in Experimental Animal Models", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.508-511, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1626111.php