This study presents a parametric analysis of a Linear Fresnel Reflector (LFR) optical efficiency using a Monte Carlo Ray Tracing tool. Parameters considered in this analysis are the design profile angle (DPA), the total solar field width and length, the location where the LFR system is installed, days of the year, and time of the day. Besides that, a case study is presented comparing five different cities using the annual mean and monthly mean heat transferred, operational hours, and the annual optical efficiency. Results show that an annual optical efficiency of 25.96% is reached at the equator using the DPA of 50°. This efficiency decreases when exceeding the latitude of 20° or when decreasing the DPA. The analysis of the LFR width shows that an optimum width exists that maximizes the optical efficiency. The case study reveals the importance of the available energy resources in the determination of the LFR overall performances. In fact, Accra and Addis Ababa had the worst results even they have the best optical efficiencies.
Elmaanaoui Youssef, Saifaoui Dennoun
Linear Fresnel Reflector; optical efficiency; Ray tracing; Incident Angle Modifier; Case study.
- Nakar and D. Feuermann, "Surface roughness impact on the heat loss of solar vacuum heat collector elements (HCE)," Renew. Energy, vol. 96, pp. 148–156, Oct. 2016.
- Romero and A. Steinfeld, "Concentrating solar thermal power and thermochemical fuels," Energy Environ. Sci., vol. 5, no. 11, p. 9234, 2012.
- Romero and J. González-Aguilar, "Solar thermal CSP technology: Solar thermal CSP technology," Wiley Interdiscip. Rev. Energy Environ., vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 42–59, Jan. 2014.
- Petrasch and J. Klausner, "Integrated solar thermochemical cycles for energy storage and fuel production: Integrated solar thermochemical cycles," Wiley Interdiscip. Rev. Energy Environ., vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 347–361, Nov. 2012.
- Qiu, Y.-L. He, Z.-D. Cheng, and K. Wang, "Study on optical and thermal performance of a linear Fresnel solar reflector using molten salt as HTF with MCRT and FVM methods," Appl. Energy, vol. 146, pp. 162–173, May 2015.
- Heimsath, F. Cuevas, A. Hofer, P. Nitz, and W. J. Platzer, "Linear Fresnel Collector Receiver: Heat Loss and Temperatures," Energy Procedia, vol. 49, pp. 386–397, 2014.
- K. Gupta, S. C. Kaushik, K. R. Ranjan, N. L. Panwar, V. S. Reddy, and S. K. Tyagi, "Thermodynamic performance evaluation of solar and other thermal power generation systems: A review," Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev., vol. 50, pp. 567–582, Oct. 2015.
- Benyakhlef et al., "Impact of heliostat curvature on optical performance of Linear Fresnel solar concentrators," Renew. Energy, vol. 89, pp. 463–474, Apr. 2016.
- Abbas and J. M. Martínez-Val, "Analytic optical design of linear Fresnel collectors with variable widths and shifts of mirrors," Renew. Energy, vol. 75, pp. 81–92, Mar. 2015.
- Sharma, S. Khanna, J. K. Nayak, and S. B. Kedare, "Effects of shading and blocking in compact linear fresnel reflector field," Energy, vol. 94, pp. 633–653, Jan. 2016.
- D. Hertel, V. Martinez-Moll, and R. Pujol-Nadal, "Estimation of the influence of different incidence angle modifier models on the biaxial factorization approach," Energy Convers. Manag., vol. 106, pp. 249–259, Dec. 2015.
- Zhu, "Development of an analytical optical method for linear Fresnel collectors," Sol. Energy, vol. 94, pp. 240–252, Aug. 2013.
- J. Montes, C. Rubbia, R. Abbas, and J. M. Martínez-Val, "A comparative analysis of configurations of linear Fresnel collectors for concentrating solar power," Energy, vol. 73, pp. 192–203, Aug. 2014.
- Boito and R. Grena, "Optimization of the geometry of Fresnel linear collectors," Sol. Energy, vol. 135, pp. 479–486, Oct. 2016.
- Sharma, "Hourly and Monthly Variation in Shading and Blocking of Aperture Area in a Linear Fresnel Reflector Field," Energy Procedia, vol. 48, pp. 233–241, 2014.
- Sharma, J. K. Nayak, and S. B. Kedare, "Effects of shading and blocking in linear Fresnel reflector field," Sol. Energy, vol. 113, pp. 114–138, Mar. 2015.
- H. Sait, J. M. Martinez-Val, R. Abbas, and J. Munoz-Anton, "Fresnel-based modular solar fields for performance/cost optimization in solar thermal power plants: A comparison with parabolic trough collectors," Appl. Energy, vol. 141, pp. 175–189, Mar. 2015.
- Barbón, N. Barbón, L. Bayón, and J. A. Otero, "Theoretical elements for the design of a small scale Linear Fresnel Reflector: Frontal and lateral views," Sol. Energy, vol. 132, pp. 188–202, Jul. 2016.
- Qiu, Y.-L. He, M. Wu, and Z.-J. Zheng, "A comprehensive model for optical and thermal characterization of a linear Fresnel solar reflector with a trapezoidal cavity receiver," Renew. Energy, vol. 97, pp. 129–144, Nov. 2016.
- Heimsath, G. Bern, D. van Rooyen, and P. Nitz, "Quantifying Optical Loss Factors of Small Linear Concentrating Collectors for Process Heat Application," Energy Procedia, vol. 48, pp. 77–86, 2014.
- Elmaanaoui and D. Saifaoui, "Shading efficiency calculation for Linear Fresnel reflector," in Renewable and Sustainable Energy Conference (IRSEC), 2014 International, 2014, pp. 100–103.
- Elmaanaoui and D. Saifaoui, "Parametric analysis of end loss efficiency in linear Fresnel reflector," in 2014 International Renewable and Sustainable Energy Conference (IRSEC), 2014, pp. 104–107.
- D. Nixon and P. A. Davies, "Cost-exergy optimisation of linear Fresnel reflectors," Sol. Energy, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 147–156, Jan. 2012.
- R. Mills and G. L. Morrison, "Compact linear Fresnel reflector solar thermal powerplants," Sol. Energy, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 263–283, 2000.
- Chaves and M. Collares-Pereira, "Etendue-matched two-stage concentrators with multiple receivers," Sol. Energy, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 196–207, Feb. 2010.
- D. Nixon and P. A. Davies, "Construction and experimental study of an elevation linear Fresnel reflector," J. Sol. Energy Eng., vol. 138, no. 3, p. 31001, 2016.
- A. Kalogirou, "Solar thermal collectors and applications," Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 231–295, Jan. 2004.
- Yang et al., "Acceptance Testing Procedure for Linear Fresnel Reflector Solar Systems in Utility-Scale Solar Thermal Power Plants," Energy Procedia, vol. 69, pp. 1479–1487, May 2015.
- R. McIntire, "Factored approximations for biaxial incident angle modifiers," Sol. Energy, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 315–322, 1982.
- Horta and T. Osório, "Optical Characterization Parameters for Line-focusing Solar Concentrators: Measurement Procedures and Extended Simulation Results," Energy Procedia, vol. 49, pp. 98–108, 2014.
- Abbas, J. Muñoz-Antón, M. Valdés, and J. M. Martínez-Val, "High concentration linear Fresnel reflectors," Energy Convers. Manag., vol. 72, pp. 60–68, Aug. 2013.
- Abbas, M. J. Montes, M. Piera, and J. M. Martínez-Val, "Solar radiation concentration features in Linear Fresnel Reflector arrays," Energy Convers. Manag., vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 133–144, Feb. 2012.
- Abbas et al., "A Quest to the Cheapest Method for Electricity Generation in Concentrating Solar Power Plants," Energy Procedia, vol. 75, pp. 514–520, Aug. 2015.
- Zhu, T. Wendelin, M. J. Wagner, and C. Kutscher, "History, current state, and future of linear Fresnel concentrating solar collectors," Sol. Energy, vol. 103, pp. 639–652, May 2014.
- L. Zhang, J. Baeyens, J. Degrève, and G. Cacères, "Concentrated solar power plants: Review and design methodology," Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev., vol. 22, pp. 466–481, Jun. 2013.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Elmaanaoui Youssef, Saifaoui Dennoun, "Parametric Analysis of the Optical Behavior of a Linear Fresnel Reflector", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.549-558, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1626118.php