In the midst of the disappointing economic performance of most sub-Saharan states, a significant number of multinational organizations have found the region a great economic space to do business. As global enterprises, the issue of diversity management and its effect on competitive advantage remains a thorny issue needing empirical validation. We harnessed the views of human resource managers in selected multinational organizations in Ghana and modeled their responses using a collection of statistical analytical models. We observed that far from being a challenge, effective diversity management can create uncontested competitive space by increasing innovation, enhancing brand equity, customer loyalty, lowering buyer propensity to substitute, increasing supplier and employee solidarity. These factors directly, singly or wholly influence competitive rivalry, bargaining power of buyers, bargaining power of customers, threat of substitutes and threat of new entrants
Benedicta Clemency Adzo Akey, Xinying Jiang, Henry Asante Antwi, Ebenezer Torku
Diversity, Management, Multinational, Sub-Sahara, Competitive, Advantage
- A. Oerlemans, J. Knoben, and M. W. Pretorius, "Alliance portfolio diversity, radical and incremental innovation: The moderating role of technology management," Technovation, vol. 33, pp. 234-246, 2013.
- Wuyts and S. Dutta, "Benefiting From Alliance Portfolio Diversity The Role of Past Internal Knowledge Creation Strategy," Journal of Management, vol. 40, pp. 1653-1674, 2014.
- M. Madera, "Best Practices in Diversity Management in Customer Service Organizations An Investigation of Top Companies Cited by Diversity Inc," Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, vol. 54, pp. 124-135, 2013.
- N. Pieterse, D. Van Knippenberg, and D. Van Dierendonck, "Cultural diversity and team performance: The role of team member goal orientation," Academy of Management Journal, vol. 56, pp. 782-804, 2013.
- Hanappi-Egger, "Gender and diversity from a management perspective: Synonyms or complements?," Journal of Organisational Transformation & Social Change, 2013.
- Niederle, C. Segal, and L. Vesterlund, "How costly is diversity? Affirmative action in light of gender differences in competitiveness," Management Science, vol. 59, pp. 1-16, 2013.
- T. Cavusgil, G. Knight, J. R. Riesenberger, H. G. Rammal, and E. L. Rose, International business: Pearson Australia, 2014.
- Lauring, "International diversity management: Global ideals and local responses," British Journal of Management, vol. 24, pp. 211-224, 2013.
- Hislop, Knowledge management in organizations: A critical introduction: Oxford University Press, 2013.
- T. Moran, N. R. Abramson, and S. V. Moran, Managing cultural differences: Routledge, 2014.
- E. M. Barak, Managing diversity: Toward a globally inclusive workplace: Sage Publications, 2013.
- Wajcman, Managing like a man: Women and men in corporate management: John Wiley & Sons, 2013.
- Canas and H. Sondak, Opportunities and challenges of workplace diversity: Pearson Higher Ed, 2013.
- Andrevski, O. C. Richard, J. D. Shaw, and W. J. Ferrier, "Racial diversity and firm performance the mediating role of competitive intensity," Journal of Management, vol. 40, pp. 820-844, 2014.
- Ashton and L. Morton, "Managing talent for competitive advantage: Taking a systemic approach to talent management," Strategic HR Review, vol. 4, pp. 28-31, 2005.
- A. Wagner III and J. R. Hollenbeck, Organizational behavior: Securing competitive advantage: Routledge, 2014.
- S. Mori, T. Furukawa, and T. Sasaki, "Response diversity determines the resilience of ecosystems to environmental change," Biological Reviews, vol. 88, pp. 349-364, 2013.
- F. Lusch and S. L. Vargo, The service-dominant logic of marketing: Dialog, debate, and directions: Routledge, 2014.
- Qian, Q. Cao, and R. Takeuchi, "Top management team functional diversity and organizational innovation in China: The moderating effects of environment," Strategic Management Journal, vol. 34, pp. 110-120, 2013.
- Martín Alcázar, P. Miguel Romero Fernández, and G. Sánchez Gardey, "Workforce diversity in strategic human resource management models: A critical review of the literature and implications for future research," Cross Cultural Management: An International Journal, vol. 20, pp. 39-49, 2013.
- B. Nielsen and S. Nielsen, "Top management team nationality diversity and firm performance: A multilevel study," Strategic Management Journal, vol. 34, pp. 373-382, 2013.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Benedicta Clemency Adzo Akey, Xinying Jiang, Henry Asante Antwi, Ebenezer Torku, "Diversity Management and Competitive Advantage In Multinational Firms In Sub-Saharan Africa", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.481-488, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1626128.php