In a bid to address the daunting challenge, multinational organizations must build a culturally sensitive global base by adjusting to diversity through the development of a new corporate culture that will work naturally for all. This culture has not yet been fully developed, although companies such as, Nestle, Unilever, McDonalds etc are making the effort. This review revisits the evolution of human resource management in multinational firms especially in Sub-Saharan Africa and the progress towards the building up of a diversified workforce. It explores the phases of diversity in these multinational organizations and measures adopted to overcome these challenges. The review ends with an overview of the prospects of diversity management for the future growth of these multinational.
Benedicta Clemency Adzo Akey, Xinying Jiang, Henry Asante Antwi, Ebenezer Torku
Human Resource Management, MNC, CIPD
- Ang, S.; Van Dyne, L. (2008). "Conceptualization of cultural intelligence: Definition, distinctiveness, and nomological network". In S. Ang & L. Van Dyne. Handbook on cultural intelligence: Theory, measurement and applications. Armonk, New York: M.E. Sharpe. pp. 3–15.
- Becker, G. S. (1975). Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis, with Special Reference to Education (2nd ed.). New York: Columbia University Press for NBER.
- Bell, M.P. & Berry, D.P. (2007). Viewing Diversity Through Different Lenses: Avoiding a Few Blind Spots, Academy of Management Perspectives, November
- Chattopadhyay, E, Thuchowska, M., and Geogge, E. (2004). Identifying the ingroup: A closer look at the influence of demographic dissimilarity on employee social identity. Academy of Management Review, 29:180-202.
- Chen, H. L. (2011). Does board independence influence the top management team? Evidence from strategic decisions toward internationalization. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 19(4), 334-350.
- Dwyer, S., Richard, O., & Chadwyck, K., (2003). Gender diversity in management and firm performance: the influence of growth orientation and organizational culture, Journal of Business Research, Dec., Vol. 56 Issue 12, p. 1009-1019
- Earley, P.C.; Ang, S. (2003). Cultural intelligence: Individual interactions across cultures. Palo Alto, California: Stanford University Press.
- Early, E, and Mosakowsi, E. (2000). Creating hybrid team cultures: An empirical test of transnational team functioning. Academy of Management Journal, 43(1): 26-49
- Gibson, C. B., Zellmer-Bruhn, M. E., & Schwab, D. P. (2003). Team Effectiveness in Multinational Organizations Evaluation Across Contexts. Group & Organization Management, 28(4), 444-474.
- Hutzschenreuter, T., & Horstkotte, J. (2013). Performance effects of international expansion processes: The moderating role of top management team experiences. International Business Review, 22(1), 259-277.
- Jehn, K., and Bezrnkova, K. (2010). The faultline activation process and the effects of activated faultlines on coalition formation, conflict and group outcomes. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 112: 24-42.
- Kang, B. S. (2014). Factors affecting knowledge-sharing within endurance-sports online communities (Doctoral dissertation, Auckland University of Technology).
- Kearney, E. & Gebert, D. (2006). Does More Diversity Lead to More Innovativeness? An Examination of the Critical Role of Leadership, IFSAM VIIIth World Congress, Track 16, Berlin, 28-30 Sept.
- Kelly, E. & Dobbin, F. (1998). 'How Affirmative Action Became Diversity Management: Employer Response to Anti-discrimination Law, 1961-1996', American Behavioral Scientist 41(7): 960-84.
- Kim, B., Burns, M. L., & Prescott, J. E. (2009). The strategic role of the board: The impact of board structure on top management team strategic action capability. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 17(6), 728-743.
- Klein, K.J. & Harrison, D.A. (2007). On the Diversity of Diversity: Tidy Logic, Messier Realities, Academy of Management Perspectives, November
- Kochan, T., Bezrukova, K., Ely, R., Jackson, S., Joshi, A., Jehn, K., Leonard, J., Levine, D. & Thomas, D. (2003). The effects of diversity on business performance : report of the diversity research network, Human Resource Management, Spring, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p3-21
- Lau, D., and Murnighan, J. (2005). Interactions within groups and subgroups: The effects of demographic faultlines. Academy of Management Journal, 48: 645-659.
- Menard-Warwick, J. (2009). Co-constructing representations of culture in ESL and EFL classrooms: Discursive faultlines in Chile and California. The Modern Languages Journal, 93(1): 30-45.
- Patrick, H. and Kumar, V. (2012). Managing Workplace diversity: Issued and Challenges. SAGE Open, 2(2).
- Richard, O., Barnett, T., Dwyer, S. & Chadwick, K. (2004). Cultural diversity in management, firm performance, and the moderating role of entrepreneurial orientation dimensions, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 47, No. 2, 255–266
- Schäffner, M., Gebert, D., Schöler, N. & Kirch, J. (2006). Diversity, its risk and chances for team innovativeness, IFSAM VIIIth World Congress, Track 16, Berlin, 28-30 Sept.
- Thomas, D. and Ely R., (1996). ‘Making differences matter’, Harvard Business Review, 74(5), 79-90
- Thomas, R. R. (1990). ‘From affirmative action to affirming diversity’, Harvard Business Review, 68, 107-117
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Benedicta Clemency Adzo Akey, Xinying Jiang, Henry Asante Antwi, Ebenezer Torku, "Evolution of Diversity Management Initiatives Among Multinational Firms : Lessons From Developing Economies", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.489-497, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1626129.php