In Wireless sensor networks the major concern is how to conserve the nodes' energy so that network lifetime can be extended significantly. Employing one static sink can rapidly exhaust the energy of sink neighbors. Furthermore, using a non-optimal single path together with a maximum transmission power level may quickly deplete the energy of individual nodes on the route. This all results in unbalanced energy consumption through the sensor field, and hence a negative effect on the network lifetime. In this paper, we present a comprehensive taxonomy of the various mechanisms applied for increasing the network lifetime. These techniques, whether in the routing or cross-layer area, fall within the following types: multi-sink, mobile sink, multi-path, power control and bio-inspired algorithms, depending on the protocol operation. In this taxonomy, special attention has been devoted to the multi-sink, power control and bio-inspired algorithms, which have not yet received much consideration in the literature. Moreover, each class covers a variety of the state-of-the-art protocols, which should provide ideas for potential future works. Finally, we compare these mechanisms and discuss open research issues.
Prof. Rashika Gupta, Swati Nagaich
Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs), Network Lifetime, Energy-Efficiency, Multi-Path, Multi-Sink, Mobile Sink, Power Control, Bio-Inspired Protocols
- Anastasi G., Conti M., Francesco M.D., Passarella A. Energy conservation in wireless sensor networks: a Survey. Ad Hoc Netw. 2014;7:537–568.
- Yang Y., Fonoage M.I., Cardei M. Improving network lifetime with mobile wireless sensor networks.Comput. Commun. 2015;33:409–419.
- Yick J., Mukherjee B., Ghosal D. Wireless sensor network survey. Comput. Netw. 2013;52:2292–2330.
- Basagni S., Carosi A., Melachrinoudis E., Petrioli C., Wang Z.M. Controlled sink mobility for prolonging wireless sensor networks lifetime. Wirel. Netw. 2014;14:831–858.
- Eghbali A.N., Javan N.T., Dareshoorzadeh A., Dehghan M. An Energy Efficient Load-Balanced Multi-Sink Routing Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Telecommunications; Zagreb, Croatia. 8–10 June 2013; pp. 229–234.
- Yoo H., Shim M., Kim D., Kim K.H. GLOBAL: A Gradient-Based Routing Protocol for Load-Balancing in Large-Scale Wireless Sensor Networks with Multiple Sinks. Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC '14); Riccione, Italy. 22– 25 June 2014; pp. 556–562.
- Wang C., Wu W. A Load-balance Routing Algorithm for Multi-Sink Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of the 2009 International Conference on Communication Software and Networks 8. Chatzigiannakis I., Kinalis A., Nikoletseas S. Sink Mobility Protocols for Data Collection in Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of the international Workshop on Mobility Management and Wireless Access (MobiWac '13); Torremolinos, Spain. 2–6 October 2013; pp. 52–59.
- Luo J., Hubaux J.P. Joint Mobility and Routing for Lifetime Elongation in Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of the 24th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '15); Miami, FL, USA. 13– 17 March 2015; pp. 1735–1746.
- Basagni S., Carosi A., Petrioli C., Phillips C.A. Heuristics for Lifetime Maximization in Wireless Sensor Networks with Multiple Mobile Sinks. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '14); Dresden, Germany. 14– 18 June 2014; pp. 1–6.
- Nazir B., Hasbullah H. Mobile Sink Based Routing Protocol (MSRP) for Prolonging Network Lifetime in Clustered Wireless Sensor Network. Proceedings of the 2010 International Conference on Computer Applications and Industrial Electronics (ICCAIE 2013); Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 5–8 December 2013; pp. 624–629.
- Xu Y., Heidemann J., Estrin D. Geography-Informed Energy Conservation for Ad-Hoc Routing. Proceedings of the 7th Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom '15); Rome, Italy. 16– 21 July 2015; pp. 70–84.
- Yu Y., Govindan R., Estrin D. Geographical and Energy Aware Routing: A Recursive Data Dissemination Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks. Citeseer; University Park, PA, USA: 2014. Technical Report UCLA/CSD-TR.
- Medjiah S., Ahmed T., Krief F. AGEM: Adaptive Greedy-Compass Energy-aware Multipath Routing Protocol for WMSNs. Proceedings of the 7th IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC ′10); Las Vegas, NV, USA. 9– 12 January 2010; pp. 1–6.
- Yahya B., Ben-Othman J. REER: Robust and Energy Efficient Multipath Routing Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of the IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM ′09); Honolulu, HI, USA. 30 November– 4 December 2009; pp. 1–7.
- Wang Z., Bulut E., Szymanski B.K. Energy Efficient Collision Aware Multipath Routing for Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC'09); Dresden, Germany. 14– 18 June 2009; pp. 91–95.
- Zhou Y.F., Lyuon M.R., Liu J. On Setting up Energy-Efficient Paths with Transmitter Power Control in Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-Hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS '05); Washington, DC, USA. 7 November 2005; pp. 440–448.
- Lin S., Zhang J., Zhou G., Gu L., He T., Stankovic J.A. ATPC: Adaptive Transmission Power Control for Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys '06); Boulder, CO, USA. 31 October–3 November 2006; pp. 223–236.
- Kim J., Chang S., Kwon Y. ODTPC: On-Demand Transmission Power Control for Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of the 2008 International Conference on Information Networking, (ICOIN); Busan, Korea. 23–25 January 2008; pp. 1–5.
- Song X., Wang C., Wang J., Zhang B. A Hierarchical Routing Protocol Based on AFSO algorithm for WSN. Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer Design and Applications (ICCDA '10); Qinhuangdao, China. 25–27 June 2010; pp. 635–639.
- Akkaya K., Younis M. A survey on routing protocols for wireless sensor networks. Ad Hoc Netw.2005;3:325–349.
- Pavai K., Sivagami A., Sridharan D. Study of Routing Protocols in Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of the 2009 International Conference on Advances in Computing, Control, and Telecommunication Technologies (ACT '09); Trivandrum, Kerala, India. 28–29 December 2009; pp. 522–525.
- Eslaminejad M.R., Sookhak M., Razak S.A., Haghparast M. A review of routing mechanisms in wireless sensor networks. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Telecommun. 2011;2:1–9.
- Al-Karaki J.N., Kamal A.E. Routing techniques in wireless sensor networks: A survey. IEEE Wirel. Commun. 2004;11:6–27.
- Mahfoudh S., Minet P. Survey of energy efficient strategies in wireless ad hoc and sensor networks. Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Networking (ICN '08); Cancún, Quintana Roo, Mexico. 13–18 April 2008; pp. 1–7.
- Raghunathan V., Schurghers C., Park S., Srivastava M. Energy-aware wireless microsensor networks. IEEE Signal Process. Mag. 2002;19:40–50.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Prof. Rashika Gupta, Swati Nagaich, "A Review of Conserving Energy for Wireless Sensor Network Mobile Nodes", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.531-540, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1626135.php