Leaf spring is part of suspension system used in most of vehicles and makes the vehicle heavier due to conventional steel material. The Automobile industry has concentrated and given former interest to substitute that conventional materials like steel in replace with other material due to various reasons like different mechanical properties. Lot of research has been going on to replace leaf spring with Composite materials. Composite materials are satisfying various demands of automobile researchers as it having good elastic properties, high strength to weight ratio, less weight compared to steel material. The aim of this paper is to focus on various issues like weight, stresses while designing, modeling and experimental investigation of composite leaf spring. In the present work stress and deflection analysis of leaf spring are calculated by finite element analysis. The leaf springs are analyzed in ANSYS 14.5 for stresses and deflections. The results shows from different calculations and data observed that, for the similar load carrying capacity induced stresses and deflections get minimized when steel leaf spring is replaced by fibrous composite (E-Glass/epoxy) leaves. The analysis was carried by considering model of Force Motors Trax Cruiserâ€™s leaf spring with same dimensional geometry, for reduction in weight of leaf spring. E-glass/epoxy composite material is selected for leaf spring, which is more cost effective with same mechanical and dimensional properties of steel leaf spring. The analysis was carried out on ANSYS 14.5 with same loading condition for deflection and bending stress of steel as well as E-glass/epoxy composite material. A comparative study has been made between steel and composite leaf spring with respect to strength and weight. From the static analysis and experimental results it is found composite leaf springs have lesser displacements and stresses than that of conventional steel leaf spring. The weight of the leaf spring is minimized extremely about 71.73 % after replacing steel leaf spring with composite leaf spring.
Prashant Nimba Pakale, Prof. D. M. Patil
Leaf Spring, Steel Material, Weight Reduction, Composite Material: E-Glass/Epoxy.
- Erol Sancaktar, Mathieu Gratton, “Design, Analysis, And Optimization of Composite Leaf Springs for Light Vehicle Applications” ELSEVIER-Composite strucures (1999) 195-204.
- A.Qureshi, “Automobile leaf spring from composite material” ELSEVIER-Journal of material processing technology 118 (2001) 58-61.
- Rajendran, I., Vijayarangan, S. “Optimal Design of a Composite Leaf Spring using Genetic Algorithms”, ELSEVIER-International Journal of Computer and Structures 79 2001: 1121 –1129.
- Mahmood M. Shokrieh, Davood Rezaei, “Analysis and optimization of a composite leaf spring” ELSEVIER- Composite Structures 60 (2003) 317–325.
- Gulur Siddaramanna Shiva Shankar, Sambagam “Mono Composite Leaf Spring For Light Weight Vehicle – Design, End Joint Analysis and Testing” ISSN 1392–1320 Materials Science (Medžiagotyra). Vol. 12, No. 3. 2006.
- Mouleeswaran SENTHIL KUMAR, Sabapathy VIJAYARANGAN, “Analytical and Experimental studies on Fatigue Life Prediction of steel and composite Multi-leaf spring for Light Passenger Vehicles using Life Data Analysis” Materials science . vol.13.No.2.2007.
- M. Patunkar, D. R. Dolas, “Modelling and Analysis of Composite Leaf Spring under the Static Load Condition by using FEA”, International Journal of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering, Volume 1, Issue 1-2011.
- Venkatesan , D. helmen devaraj , “Design And Analysis Of Composite Leaf Spring In Light Vehicle “ international journal of modern engineering research Vol.2, Issuue 1, Jan-Feb 2012 pp: 213-218, ISSN: 2249-6645.
- raghvendra, Sayed Altaf Hussain, V. Pandurangadu, K. PalaniKumar “Modelling and Analysis of Laminated composite Leaf Spring under the stati Load condition by using FEA.”, International Journal of Modern Engineering Research (IJMER), Vol 2, Issue 04, July-Aug 2012, pp: 1875-1879.
- Shishay Amare Gebremeskel “Design, Simulation, and Prototyping of Single Composite Leaf Spring for Light Weight Vehicle” Global Journal of Resarches in Engineering (Mechanical and Mechanics Engineering) Volume 12 Issue 7 Version 1.0 Year 2012.
- Vijaya Lakshmi, Satyanarayana, “Static And Dynamic Analysis On Composite Leaf Spring In Heavy Vehicle” International Journal of Advanced Engineering Research and Studies IJAERS/Vol. II/ Issue I/Oct.-Dec.,2012/80-84.
- Ghodake A. P., Patil K.N. “Analysis of Steel and Composite Leaf Spring for Vehicle” IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE) e-ISSN: 2278-1684 Volume 5, Issue 4 (Jan. - Feb. 2013), PP 68-76.
- Pankaj saini, Ashish goel, Dushyant Kumar “Design and analysis of composite leaf spring for light vehicle” (IJIRSET) ISSN: 2319-8753 Vol. 2, Issue 5, May 2013.
- Anandkumar A. Satpute, Prof. S.S.Chavhan, “Mono Composite Leaf Spring-Design and Testing” Indian Journal of Applied Research”, Volume: 3, Issue7, July 2013, ISSN: 2249-555X.
- Parkhe Ravindra and Sanjay Belkar “Performance Analysis of Carbon Fiber with Epoxy Resin Based Composite Leaf Spring” E-ISSN 2277 – 4106, P-ISSN 2347 – 5161 Vol.4, No.2 (April 2014), pgs 536-541.
- R S Khurmi, J K Gupta, a Text Book of Machine Design.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Prashant Nimba Pakale, Prof. D. M. Patil, "Design, Analysis and Experimental Investigation of Composite Leaf Spring ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.567-575, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1626140.php