Cold storages have enormous applications in real world. The main aim is to improve & extend the self-life. Especially in countries like India, it is observed that during peak season there is lot of production of vegetables & fruits whose cost comes down to a very low level, in fact sometimes it happens that they are thrown into dust bins due to unavailability of proper storage techniques at a viable cost. Further it is also observed that during off season, the prices shoot up & people face scarcity of the same fruits and vegetables. As the technology is developing in the field of refrigeration and air conditioning, remarkable comfort and saving are achieved. Maintaining the required low temperature for the common food we take will surely reduce the cost, as this process can be done at a time when the availability is plenty and the cost is low. In the current review, the design considerations for a cold storage unit using the refrigerant R134a is discussed.
B. Syed Shaheed, Mohd. Nayeem, Mohd. Abdul Rasheed
Commercially adaptive design, Cold storage room, Cold Storage Plant, Design of Cold Storage Unit
- J. Raynor, Basic Engineering Thermodynamics, Educational Low Priced Books Scheme (ELBS), 5th Edition, Longman Publishers, 1996.
- A. Andrew, H.T. Carl, F.B. Alfred, Modern Refrigeration and Air-conditioning, the Good Heart –Wilcox Company Inc; 1988.
- H. Chukwu, C. Oriaku, A.H. Omar, K.C. Emeasor, A.D. Asiegbu, Hydrological Growth Season (HGS) for Umudike Agro-Belt of South Eastern Nigeria, Medwell Online Journal of Earth Sciences 1 (2): 93 –97, 2007.
- S. Avrind, An Overview of Cold Storage Practice in India, Taraporeva, D.B. Sons & Co. Private Limited Company, 1967.
- J. Rydzewski, W.R. Warren, Mechanical Refrigeration, McGraw-Hill International Revised 10thEdition, 1996.
- Internet Google, Brief History of Refrigeration, http://www.probnewer.com/.../historyphp.html.
- National Population Commission, Population Census Data, Umuahia, Abia State 2007 Year Book, pp. 7 – 9, 2007.
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike,The Draft Master Plan Report, Somieb Consortium Enugu, Nigeria, 2004.
- National Root Crop Research Institute, Agrometerological Unit, NRCRI, Umudike, Umuahia, Abia State, 2004.
- National Root Crop Research Institute, Agro–meterological Unit, NRCRI, Umudike, Umuahia, Abia State, 2008.
- P. Arora, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning, 2ndEdition, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited, New Delhi, 2000.
- W. William, M.J. William, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Technology, An International Thompson Publishing Company, Delmar Publishers, 1995.
- A. Edwin, Refrigeration and Air- conditioning Guide – II: Commercial Refrigeration, Taraporevala, D.B. Sons & Co. Private Limited, 1967.
- K. Rajput, Heat and Mass Transfer, 3rd Edition, S. Chand & Company Limited, Ram Nagar, New Delhi, 2006.
- A. Eugene, Mark’s Standard Hand Book for Mechanical Engineers, 10th Edition, 1997.
- Robert, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating & Air-conditioning Hand Book, 1996.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
B. Syed Shaheed, Mohd. Nayeem, Mohd. Abdul Rasheed, "Design Considerations for a Cold Storage Unit", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.545-548, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1626141.php