An environmental and global issue concerning a very significant problem in today’s world is the challenges of waste generation, collection, and its management. It is obvious that waste generation, collection, and management issues are not considered as a priority in the planning of our town estate and settlements which have eventually led to the refuse hill, a threat to human habitats, and economic descend. In the case of Aule GRA part of Akure metropolis, there has to be an appropriate determination of solid waste generated at the household level, effective collection and its evacuation at regular interval. In this paper, geoinformatics was considered as a decision support tool for the location of the household, a collection of waste generation, and its management. Google earth imagery of the study area was downloaded, GPS control point of six prominent places was taking, the imagery was georeferenced and digitized to produce a digitized map of the study area, questionnaires were distributed to the household in the study area, 64% out of questionnaires given were returned and used. The waste of each household was weighed over a period of one month to determine the rate of generation. From the result of the questionnaire, the number in each house were known and the waste per head per day was determined. The population of each household was used together with the waste per head to determine the total waste generated at each family household. A spatial database was developed which are used to predict the evacuation day for each household.
BABALOLA Sunday Oyetayo, Tan Liat Choon, Tata Herbert, Ariyo Tomas Olorunfemi
Geoinformatics; Household; Waste; Aule; Georeferenced
- Agunwamba, J. C. (1998). Solid Waste Management in Nigeria: Problems and Issues. Department of Civil Engineering, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria. Environmental Management Vol. 22 No. 6. Pp. 849-856.
- Brian, G. and Justin, M. (2009). Reconsidering Municipal Solid waste as a Renewable Energy, Freed Stock Environmental and Energy Study Institute, Washington DC.
- Christina F. (1998). Sustainable Consumption and Municipal Solid Waste Reduction in Developing Countries of Asia York University, Canada.
- Dibal L. A. (2004). Statistical Method for Solid Waste Analysis. Journal of Environmental Technology Vol. 1.
- Ghosh, M. K., Dikshit, A. K., and Sharma. S. K. (2005). A GIS-Based Transportation Model for Solid Waste Disposal: A Case Study of Asansol Municipality. Science Direct, September 2005.
- Hodson, E. L., Martin, D. and Prinn, R. G. (2009). The Municipal Solid Waste Landfill as a Source of Ozone-depleting Substance in the United State and the United Kingdom.
- Hamoda M.F (1997). Analysis of Residential Solid Waste at Generation Site. Department of Civil Engineering, UAE University, Al-Ain, UAE.
- Municipal Solid Waste Management Report (2005). Municipal Solid Waste Management in Germany Pp 1, September, 2006.
- Ramachandra, T. V. and Saira, V. K., (2003). Exploring Possibilities of Achieving Sustainability in Solid Waste Management India Journal Environmental Health. October 2003.
- Ramasamy S. M., Kumanan C. J., Palanivel K., (2003). GIS Based Solution for Waste Disposal. GIS Developments, India.
- R-Vijay, Gupta, A., Kalamdhad, A. S., Deratta S. (2005). Estimation and Allocation of Solid Waste Bin through GIS. National Environmental Engineering Research Institute, Nehru Marg, Nagpur India.
- Shaikh, M. A. (2006). Using GIS in Solid Waste Management Planning: A Case Study of Aurangabad, India, M. Sc. Thesis, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden.
- Sinha, A. H. (1993) The Formal and Informal Sector Linkages in Waste Recycling: A case4 solid waste management in Dhaka city, M.sc Thesis Human settlement, Asian Institute Technology (AIT) Bangkok, Thailand
- Okenwa O. (2009) Memorandum of understanding for solid waste management scheme, Daily Champion Newspaper, 23 December 2009. Pp. 6.
- Tinmaz, E., and Demir, I., (2005). Research on Solid Waste Management systems. To improve existing situation in Corlu Town of Turkey. Science Direct, June 2005.
- The Oxford Joint Municipal Waste Strategy (2006) Oxfordshire Waste Partnership, Oxford, England, August 2006.
- Upasma, S., and Natwat, M.S., (2003). Selection of Potential Waste Disposing Sites around Bauchi Urban Complex Using Remote Sensing and GIS Techniques. Map India 2003.
- Virk, K., Singal, V. and Sandu P. (2004). Awareness among Urban Inhabitants about Waste Management and its Impact on Environmental J.Hum.Ecol.2004.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
BABALOLA Sunday Oyetayo, Tan Liat Choon, Tata Herbert, Ariyo Tomas Olorunfemi, "Domestic Waste in Aule Gra, Akure Nigeria: The Role of Geoinformatics in Generation and Its Management", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.622-629, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1626143.php