Amidst all of the uncertainty surrounding the future of healthcare service efficiency in Ghana, the need for providers to do more things with less resources is widely considered a truism. Aware of the relative weight and significance of the supply chain, many hospitals in Ghana have initiated measures to fully adopt technology towards the performance of key healthcare activities. Using data collected from selected public hospitals in the Ashanti Region of Ghana, we recalibrate and classify the influential or stimulating factors of e-procurement adoption into exogenous and endogenous variables to determine the most influential factor. We employ a more sophisticated co-integration approach in order to observe robustness of outcome relative to the extant models. We observed that e-procurement optimization is premised on the prevalence of an ensemble of exogenous and endogenous factors including resources availability, facilitating conditions, system interoperability, supplier compatibility, regulatory framework, operational standards and benchmarks and other external/industry factors.
Basil Kusi, Henry Asante Antwi, Gabriel Nani, Samuel Owusu Mensah, Michael Owusu Akomeah
E-procurement, CPO, PPM, VECM, LNRa
- Agarwal, A., Shankar, R., and Tiwari, M.K. (2006). Modeling the metrics of lean, agile, and leagile supply chain: An ANP-based approach. European Journal of Operational Research, 173, 211-225.
- Agyepong, I.A, Bruce, E.S, Narh-Bana, S. (2006). Making Health Insurance Equitable and Pro-Poor Financing Mechanism in Ghana: Some Reflections. Medical Education Resources Africa (MERA), Ghana Edition 21: 5–14.
- Arhin, D.C. (1995). Rural Health Insurance: A Viable Alternative to User Fees; A Review and Evidence from Three Countries. PHP Departmental Publication No. 19. London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
- Arhinful, D.K. (2003). The Solidarity of Self-Interest: Social and Cultural Feasibility of Rural Health Insurance in Ghana. University of Amsterdam, Doctoral Thesis.
- Atim, C, Grey, S, Apoya, P. (2001). A survey of Health Financing Schemes in Ghana. Partners for Health Reform plus (PHRplus). Betheseda, MD: Abt Associates Inc.
- Atim, C, Madjiguene, S. (2000). An external Evaluation of the Nkoranza Community Financing Health Insurance Scheme, Ghana. Technical Report No. 50. Bethesda, MD: Partnerships for Health Reform Project, Abt Associates Inc.
- Blecker, T. and Abdelkafi, N. (2006). Complexity and variety in mass customization systems: analysis and recommendations. Management Decision, 44(7), 908-929.
- Byrnes, Jonathan L.S. (2004). Fixing the Healthcare Supply Chain. Harvard Business School: Working Knowledge. Retrieved February 26, 2009.
- Campling, N. Grocott, P., and Cowley, S. (2008). Disconnection: the user voice within the wound dressing supply chain. Journal of Nursing Management, 16 , 204-213.
- chains: Towards theory development. International Journal of Production Economics,
- Chopra, S. and Meindl, P. (2004). Supply Chain Management: Strategy, Planning, and Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall.
- Cogan, J., Hubbard, R. and Kessler, D. (2004). Healthy, wealthy, and wise. Wall Street Journal, A. 20.
- International Journal of Production Economics, 116, 242-250.
- Doty, H.D., Glick, W.H., and Huber, G.P. (1993). Fit, equifinality, and organizational effectiveness: A test of two configurational theories. Academy of Management Review,
- Duray, R. (2002). Mass customization origins: Mass or custom manufacturing? International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 22(3), 314–328.
- English abstract).
- Ford, E. and Scanlon, D. (2007). Promise and problems with supply chain management approaches to healthcare purchasing. Healthcare Management Review, 32 (3), 192-202.
- Gehmlich, V. (2008). ?Opportunities of supply chain management in healthcare‘, In Hübner, U. and Elmhorst, M. (eds.), eBusiness in healthcare; from eprocurement to supply chain management, Springer-Verlag London Limited.
- Hambrick, D. (1983). Some Tests of the Effectiveness and Functional Attributes of Miles and Snow‘s Strategic Types. Academy of Management Journal, 26(1), 5-26.
- interactive strategy. Harvard Business Review, July/August, 65-77.
- Kaplan, A. and Haenlein, M. (2006) Toward a Parsimonious Definition of Traditional and Electronic Mass Customization. Journal of Product Innovation Management. 23, 168-182.
- Kathuria, R., Joshi, M.P, and Porth, S.J. (2007). Organizational alignment and performance: Past, present and future. Management Decision, 45(3), 503-517. Lambert, D. and Cooper, M. (2000). Issues in supply chain management. Industrial Marketing Management, 29 65-83.
- Li, S., Rao, S., Ragu-Nathan, T. and Ragu-Nathan, B. (2005). Development and validation of a measurement instrument for studying supply chain management practices. Journal of Operations Management, 23, 618-641.
- Luhmann, N. (1996). Soziale Systeme, Grundriss einer allgemeinen Theorie, 7th ed., Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main.
- McKone-Sweet, K. E.; Hamilton, ,Willis, S. B. (2005). The Ailing Healthcare Supply Chain: A Prescription for Change. Journal of Supply Chain Management: A Global Review of Purchasing & Supply, 41 (1) 4-17.
- Naidu, G.M., Parvatiyar, A., Sheth, J.N. and Westgate, L. (1999). Does relationship marketing pay? An empirical investigation of relationship marketing practices in hospitals. Journal of Business Research, 46 207-218. 19
- Normann, R. and Ramirez, R. (1993). From value chain to value constellation: Designing
- Porter, M. (1985). Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance. New York: The Free Press.
- Porter, M. (1987). From competitive advantage to corporate strategy. Harvard Business Review, May/June , 43-59.
- Prahalad, C. and Krishnan, M. (2008). The New Age of Innovation: Driving Co-created Value through Global Networks. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Prahalad, C. and Ramaswamy, V. (2004). Co-creation experiences: the next practice in value creation, Journal of Interactive Marketing, 18 (3), 5-14.
- Rathmell, John M. (1966). What Is Meant by Services? Journal of Marketing. 30 (4).
- Ross,A. (1996). Selling uniqueness - Mass customization: The new religion for manufacturers? Management Engineer, 75(6), 260–263.
- Sabherwal, R. and Chan, Y. (2001). Alignment between business and IS strategies: A study of prospectors, analyzers, and defenders. Information Systems Research, 12 (1) 11-33.
- Scalise, D. (2005) Building an efficient supply chain. Hospital & Health Networks, Aug.79 (8) 47-52.
- Schneller, E. and Smeltzer, L. (2006). Strategic management of the health care supply chain. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- shops and networks. Strategic Management Journal, 19 (5), 413-437.
- Shortell, S. and Zajac, E. (1990). Perceptual and archival measures of Miles and Snow‘s strategic types: a comprehensive assessment of reliability and validity. Academy of Management Journal, 33(4), 817-832.
- Singh, Mahender. (2006). Transforming the Global Health Care Supply Chain. MIT Center for Transportation and Logistics.
- Sivadasan, S., Efstathiou, J., Frizelle, G., Shirazi, R., and Calinescu, A. (2002) An informationtheoretic methodology for measuring the operational complexity of supplier customer systems. International Journal of Operations. 22 (1), 80-102.
- Stabell, C. and Fjeldstad, O. (1998). Configuring value for competitive advantage: On chain,
- Tan, C.L. and Tracey, M. (2007) Collaboratiove New Product Development Environemnts: Implications for Supply Chain Management. Journal of Supply Chain Management. Summer.
- Van Hoek, R.I. Harrison, A., and Christopher, M. (2001). Measuring agile capabilities in the supply chain. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 21(1/2),
- Von Hippel, E., (1988). The Sources of Innovation. Oxford University Press, New York.
- Vondrembse, M.A., Uppal, M., Huang, S.H., and Dismukes, J.P. (2006). Designing supply
- Zhang, X. and Chen, R. (2008). Examining the mechanism of the value co-creation with
- Zhang, X., Chen, R.Q., (2006). Customer participative chain: Linking customers and firm to cocreate competitive advantages. Management Review 18 (1), 51–56
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Basil Kusi, Henry Asante Antwi, Gabriel Nani, Samuel Owusu Mensah, Michael Owusu Akomeah, "Exogenous and Endogenous Factors in E-procurement Adoption among Ghanaian Hospitals : A Co-Integration Analysis", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.630-640, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1626144.php