The inability of public hospitals in Ghana to integrate electronic information in their supply chain systems has been a great disadvantage and affecting value for money and sustainability. Even though these government hospitals have technological equipments in operations that are closely related with e-Procurement tools, they practice the paper-based transaction system of procurement due to inadequate knowledge on e-Procurement procedures. Our study investigates the other critical barriers beside technology that are not well in place hence the lag in e-procurement adoption in these hospitals. We sampled the views of supply chain management officers in selected hospitals in Ghana and applied a fitted logistic regression model as the main analytical tool to explore the effect of constraining factors on e-procurement adoption in Ghanaian hospitals. We observed a non-negligible effect of weak financial deployment, employee motivation, organizational structure, organisational culture, related and support systems or system interoperability, management support, supplier compatibility, regulatory framework such as legal framework, operational standards and benchmarks as supplementary constraints to e-procurement adoption in the hospitals
Basil Kusi, Henry Asante Antwi, Gabriel Nani, Samuel Owusu Mensah, Michael Owusu Akomeah
E-Procurement, SCM, ICT, EU, EC, PPA, www, SCMU, SCM, SCMU, CSF
- Aberdeen G. (2005) Best Practices in E-Procurement. Reducing Costs and Increasing Value through Online Buying
- Adam R, Kotze P and Merwe A.( 2011) Acceptance of enterprise resource planning systems by small manufacturing Enterprises. Proceedings of the 1tth International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, Vol.1, edited by Runtong Zhang, José Cordeiro, Xuewei Li, Zhenji Zhang and Juliang Zhang, SciTePress. , p. 229 – 238
- Andries C (2006) E-Procurement In The Hospital Industry:A Feasibility Study
- Angeles R. and Nath R. (2007), "Business-to-business e-procurement: success factors and challenges to implementation", Management Information Systems Area, Faculty of Administration, University of New Brunswick Fredericton, Fredericton, Canada, and College of Business Administration, Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska, USA.
- Assar S, Boughzala,I and Boughzala ,Y (2006) "Collaborative features in French public e-procurement" "AIM 2006: Information Systems and Collaboration: State of the Art and Perspectives", Lecture Notes in Informatics, vol. p–92, pp. 83–103.
- Assar,S and Boughzala I. (2008) "Empirical evaluation of public e-procurement platforms in France" International Journal of Value Chain Management, 2(1):90–108, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd
- Attaran, M., (2001). The coming age of e-procurement. Industrial Management & Data Systems 101 (4), 177–181.
- Beauvallet G, Younès Boughzala, and Saïd Assar (2011) E-Procurement, from Project to Practice: Empirical Evidence from the French Public Sector. Practical Studies in E-Government: Best Practices from Around the World. Springer Science Business Media
- Bendoly E, and Schoenherr T, (2005) "ERP system and implementation process benefits: Implications for B2B e-procurement". International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 25 Iss: 4 pp. 304 – 319.
- Bichler, M. (2000). "An Experimental Analysis of Multi-Attribute Auctions." Decision Support Systems, 19: 249-268.
- Bidgoli W. and Hossein, F. (2004) The Internet Encyclopedia, Volume 1, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. p. 707.
- Bof, F and Previtali, P.(2007) Organisational Pre-Conditions for e-Procurement in Governments: the Italian Experience in the Public Health Care Sector. Electronic Journal of e-Government Volume 5 Issue 1 2007 (1 - 10)
- Brussels (2012) Delivering savings for Europe: moving to full e- procurement for all public purchases by 2016. European Commission - Press Release
- Carayannis, E. G., & Popescu, D. (2005). Profiling a methodology for economic growth and convergence:Learning from the EU e-procurement experience for central and Eastern European countries. Technovation, 25,
- Department of Finance (DOF) (2001). Strategy for the Implementation of e-Procurement in the Irish Public Sector. Dublin, Ireland:
- European Commission (2005) Functional Requirements For Conducting Electronic Public Procurement Under The EU Framework, Volume I
- European Commission (2012) Functional Requirements for Conducting Electronic Public Procurement under The EU Framework, Volume V
- Flanegin F.R.(2006) ‘An integration approach to determine hospital outpatient staffing needs’, International Journal of Healthcare Technology and Management, Vol. 5, No. 1/2, pp.96–122.
- Fu, H.-P., Chang, T.-H., Wu, W.-H., (2004). An implementation model of an e-procurement system for auto parts: A case study. Production Planning and Control 15 (7), 662–670.
- Gebaner J and Shaw M.J. (2004) E-Procurement System. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol. 8. No. 3 Spring 2004 P. 19 – 41.
- Gill, R. (2011). "The rise of two-tier ERP." Strategic Finance, 93(5), 35-40, 1
- Gralla, P. (2007). How the Internet Works. Que Pub, Indianapolis. ISBN 0-7897-2132-5.
- Gunasekaran A. and Ngai E.W.T. (2008) Adoption of e-procurement in Hong Kong:
- Khanapuri V.B, Nayak S and Soni P.( 2011)Framework to Overcome Challenges of Implementation of E-procurement in Indian Context: International Conference on Technology and Business Management, Mumbai
- Kim, J.-I., Shunk, D.L., (2004). Matching indirect procurement process with different B2B e-procurement systems. Computers in Industry 53, 153–164.
- W.(2005) "Ensuring ERP implementation success," Information Systems Management,
- Kraemmer, P.(2003). "E-Procurement implementation: an integrated process of radical change and continuous learning". Production Planning & Control 14 (4): 228–248
- LaguadoGiraldo R(2005) Public Policy and the new regulatory framework on Electronic Government Procurement in Colombia: Dissertation submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the Master of Laws degree in International Economic Law, University of Warwick.
- Liao, S.-H., Cheng, C.-H., Liao, W.-B., Chen, I.-L.,( 2003). A Web-based architecture for implementing electronic procurement in military organizations. Technovation 23, 521–532.
- Mettler T. and Rohner P. (2009) E-Procurement in Hospital Pharmacies: An Exploratory Multi-Case Study from Switzerland Institute of Information Management. University of St. Gallen. Chile.
- Min, H., and Galle, W.P. (2003). E-purchasing: profiles of adopters and nonadopters. Industrial Marketing Management, 32, 227-233.
- Mozeik C.(2004) E-Procurement In The Hospitality Industry. University of Deliware
- Neef, D. (2001). E-Procurement: From Strategy to Implementation, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall
- O'Brien J. (2011). Management Information Systems(MIS). New York: McGraw-Hill, Irwin. p. 324
- Operational Services Division (OSD) (2001). Critical Success Factors and Metrics: Enhanced Comm-Pass Initiative. Boston, MA: Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Palmer J. R. Davila A and Gupta M (2002) Moving Procurement Systems to the Internet: The Adoption and Use of E-Procurement Technology Models. Graduate School of Business
- Panayiotou N.A., Gayialis S.P. and Tatsiopoulos I.P. (2004) An e-Procurement system for governmental purchasing: Section of Industrial Management and Operational Research, National Technical University of Athens, 157 80 Zografos, Greece
- Pasiopoulos A, Siskou O, Galanis P. and Prezerakos P,( 2013) The Implementation of e-procurement System in Health Sector in Greece: Attitudes of Potential Users and Implications for Hospital Management. International Journal of Health Research and Innovation, vol. 1, no. 1, 2013, 15-23 ISSN: 2051-5057 (print version), 2051-5065 (online) Scienpress.
- Peleg, B., Lee, H.L.and Hausman, W.H., (2002). Short-term e-procurement strategies versus long-term contracts. Production and Operations Management 11 (4), 458–479.
- Peris O.B,Kourtidis S I and Saky L K,( 2013).e Procurement Golden Book of Good Practice, Final Report .Directorate General Internal Market and Services (DG MARKT) of the European Commission
- PPA,(2012) A Newsletter Of The Public Procurement Authority. Procurement Digest. Accra, Ghana.
- Puschmann T, and Alt R, (2005) "Successful use of e-procurement in supply chains. An International Journal Vol. 10 Iss: 2, pp. 122.
- Raghavan, S.N.R., Prabhu, M., (2004). Object-oriented design of a distributed agent-based framework for e-Procurement. Production Planning and Control 15 (7), 731–741.
- Rajkumar T.M (2001) E-Procurement: Business and Technical Issues. University, Oxford, Ohio.
- Roche, J., 2001. Are you ready for e-procurement? Strategic Finance 83 (1), 56–59.
- Ronchi, S., Brun, A., Golini, R. and Fan, X. (2010). What is the value of an IT e-procurement system. Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management, 16, 131-140.
- Sharfman, M., Shaft, T.and Anex, R.,(2007). The road to cooperative supply-chain environmental management: trust and uncertainty among pro-active firms. Business Strategy and the Environment Early View.
- Smart A. (2010) The Role Of E-Procurement In Purchasing Management. Cranfield University. School of Management.
- Smith A. D. and Flanegin F. R.( 2004) E-procurement and automatic identification: Enhancing Supply Chain Management in the healthcare industry. Int. J. Electronic Healthcare, Vol. 1, No. 2, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd.
- Smith, A.D. (2003) ‘Applications and process strategies of bar coding technologies in the health are industry’, Journal of e-Business and Information Technology, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp.37–50. Stanford University
- Thomson K. (2006)Thin Enterprise Resource Planning (Second ed.): Course Technology. Boston
- Turban K. (2008). Information Technology for Management, Transforming Organizations in the Digital Economy. Massachusetts: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., p. 320
- UNCITRAL (2011)United Nations Commission on International Trade Law Model Law on Electronic Commerce. Adopted by the General Assembly by Resolution (51/162 2011).
- United Nations (2011) E-Procurement: Towards Transparency and Efficiency in Public Service Delivery. Report of the Expert Group Meeting, New York
- Vaidya K,. Sajeev A. S. M and Callender Guy (2006), Critical Factors That Influence E-Procurement Implementation Success In The Public Sector. Journal of Public Procurement, Volume 6, Issues 1 & 3, 70-99
- Walker, H., Brammer, S.,(2009). Sustainable procurement in the United Kingdom public sector. Supply Chain Management 14 (2), 128.
- Walsh K. (2009). "The ERP Security Challenge". CSOonline. CXO Media Inc. Retrieved 2008-01-17
- World Bank (WB) (2003). Electronic Government Procurement (e-GP): World Bank Draft Strategy. Washington, DC
- Zheng, J., Bakker, E., Knight, L., Gilhespy, H., Harland, C. and Walker, H. (2006). A strategic case for e-adoption in healthcare supply chains. International Journal of Information Management, 26, 290-301
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Basil Kusi, Henry Asante Antwi, Gabriel Nani, Samuel Owusu Mensah, Michael Owusu Akomeah, "Adoptive Deficiencies and E-Procurement Lag among Hospitals in Ghana: A Logistic Regression Analysis ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.653-662, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1626146.php