This study was carried out to assess the potential of a virtual project-based simulation game in educating construction students, form their own perspective. For this purpose, a project-based simulation game, named Skyscraper Simulator, which focuses on construction management, was tested by 135 undergraduate construction students. After playing, the participants filled out a questionnaire to evaluate the game’s effectiveness. For assessing their responses, quantitative methods were used. The results indicate that from the viewpoint of the students, a virtual project-based simulation game has positive effect on construction education, and so it can be used as a supplementary tool in educating construction students at the undergraduate level.
Construction, Education, Project-based, Self- assessment, Simulation, Virtual
- Agapiou, Andrew. 2006. "The use and evaluation of a simulation game to teach professional practice skills to undergraduate architecture students." Journal for Education in the Built Environment 1 (2):3-14.
- Ba?, Gökhan. 2011. "Investigating the effects of project-based learning on students’ academic achievement and attitudes towards English lesson." The Online Journal Of New Horizons In Education 1 (4).
- Bodnar, Cheryl A, Daniel Anastasio, Joshua A Enszer, and Daniel D Burkey. 2016. "Engineers at Play: Games as Teaching Tools for Undergraduate Engineering Students." Journal of Engineering Education.
- Dabbagh, Nada, Angela D Benson, André Denham, Roberto Joseph, Maha Al-Freih, Ghania Zgheib, Helen Fake, and Zhetao Guo. 2016. "Game-based Learning." In Learning Technologies and Globalization, 31-35. Springer.
- Ebner, Martin, and Andreas Holzinger. 2007. "Successful implementation of user-centered game based learning in higher education: An example from civil engineering." Computers & education 49 (3):873-890.
- Hale Feinstein, Andrew, Stuart Mann, and David L Corsun. 2002. "Charting the experiential territory: Clarifying definitions and uses of computer simulation, games, and role play." Journal of Management Development 21 (10):732-744.
- Hirose, Yukio, Junkichi Sugiura, and Kenji Shimomoto. 2004. "Industrial waste management simulation game and its educational effect." Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management 6 (1):58-63.
- Kincaid, J Peter, Roger Hamilton, Ronald W Tarr, and Harshal Sangani. 2003. "Simulation in education and training." In Applied system simulation, 437-456. Springer.
- Kincaid, JP, S Bala, C Hamel, WJ Sequeira, and A Bellette. 2001. "Effectiveness of Traditional vs. Web-based Instruction for Teaching an Instructional Module for Medics." ISTâ€‘TRâ€‘01â€‘06, Orlando: Institute for Simulation and Training, University of Central Florida.
- Messner, John I, Sai CM Yerrapathruni, Anthony J Baratta, and Vaughan E Whisker. 2003. "Using virtual reality to improve construction engineering education." American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition.
- Nikoli?, Dragana. 2011. "Evaluating a simulation game in construction engineering education: The virtual construction simulator 3." Architectural Engineering.
- Nikolic, Dragana, Shrimant Jaruhar, and John I Messner. 2011. "Educational Simulation in Construction: Virtual Construction Simulator 1." Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering 25 (6):421-429.
- Pariafsai, Fatemeh. 2013. Management and Construction Equipment 1. Tehran, Iran: Adabestan.
- Pariafsai, Fatemeh. 2016a. "Effectiveness of a Virtual Project-Based Simulation Game in Construction Education." International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET) 2 (5):377-393.
- Pariafsai, Fatemeh. 2016b. "Effectiveness of Virtual Project-Based Simulation Games at Different levels of Construction Education." 5th International conference on Science & Engineering, Paris, France.
- Pariafsai, Fatemeh. 2016c. "Project-Based Simulation Game: an Effective Learning Tool for Students with Limited Prior Education in Construction." 3rd International Conference on New Research Achievements in Civil, Architecture & Urban Management, Tehran, Iran, September 16th.
- Pariafsai, Fatemeh. 2016d. "Project-Based Simulation Games as Effective Tools in Education of Inexperienced Construction Students." 3rd International Conference on Recent Innovations in Civil Engineering, Architecture and Urban Planning, Tehran, Iran, September 8th.
- Pariafsai, Fatemeh. 2016e. "Virtual Project-Based Simulation Games: Effectiveness in Construction Education of Different Genders." 4th International Conference on Modern Research in Civil Engineering, Architectural & Urban Development, Barcelona, Spain, October 14th.
- Philpot, Timothy A, Richard H Hall, Nancy Hubing, and Ralph E Flori. 2005. "Using games to teach statics calculation procedures: Application and assessment." Computer Applications in Engineering Education 13 (3):222-232.
- POSSA, Rodrigo. 2011. "Um estudo sobre os requisitos de jogos de simulação usados no ensino de engenharia de software. 2011." Dissertação (Mestrado em Ciência da Computação)–Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG.
- Ruben, Brent D. 1999. "Simulations, games, and experience-based learning: The quest for a new paradigm for teaching and learning." Simulation & Gaming 30 (4):498-505.
- Scott, David, Mick Mawdesley, and Saad Al-Jibouri. 2004. "The use and efficacy of a simulation model for teaching project control in construction." First International Conference on world of construction project management.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Fatemeh Pariafsai, "Students' View on Potential of a Project-Based Simulation Game for Construction Education", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.514-523, September-October-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162615.php