In multi-hop wireless ad hoc network, the packets are transmitted through intermediate nodes to reach the destination. In this topological structure, there is no centralized co-ordinating, monitoring or control point. Due to this type of network environment, an intermediate node can act as either selfish or malicious to drop packets. The primary objective of such an untrustworthy behavior of the node is to preserve its own resource such as energy. In this paper, Guard Node Based Ad hoc On Demand Distance Vector Routing scheme has been proposed to detect and prevent the black hole attack on AODV, in Mobile Ad hoc networks. A black hole attack refers to an attack by a malicious node, which forcibly acquire the route from a source to a destination by the falsification of the sequence number and hop count of the routing message. In the proposed system, fixed guard nodes are deployed in the network environment to mitigate black hole attack. These guard nodes are set in promiscuous mode to listen about the transmission within its transmission range. This also calculates the Trust Value of a node, depending upon the abnormal difference between the routing packets transmitted from the node. If the trust value falls below the specified range, guard node will broadcast an alert message, informing all the nodes in the network to isolate the malicious node. The performance and effectiveness of the proposed system outperform the existing protocol in terms of Packet Delivery Ratio, Throughput and Delay.
A. R. Rajeswari, K. Kulothungan, A. Kannan
Malicous Nodes, Black Hole Attacks, Trust Value, AODV, GNB-AODV, MANETs.
- Zapata Manel G, Asokan N. Securing ad-hoc routing protocols. In: Proc. of the ACM workshop on wireless security (WiSe), 2002.
- Satoshi Kurosawa, Hidehisa Nakayama, Nei Kato, Abbas Jamalipour, Yoshiaki Nemoto, Detecting blackhole attack on AODV-based Mobile Ad Hoc Networks by dynamic learning method, International Journal of Network Security 5 (3) (2007) 338–34
- Latha Tamilselvan, V Sankaranarayanan, "Prevention of Blackhole Attack in MANET", in: Proc. of the International Conference on Wireless Broadband and Ultra Wideband Communication, 2007.
- Latha Tamilselvan, V Sankaranarayanan, Prevention of co-operative black hole attack in MANET, Journal of Networks 3 (5) (2008) 13–20.
- Junhai Luo, Mingyu Fan, Danxia Ye, "Black Hole Attack Prevention Based on Authentication Mechanism", in: Proc. of the IEEE Singapore International Conference on Communication Systems (ICCS), pp. 173–177, 2008.
- Soufine Djahel, Farid Nait-Abdesselam, Ashfaq Khokhar, "An Acknowledgment-Based Scheme to Defend Against Cooperative Black Hole Attacks in Optimized Link State Routing Protocol", in: Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), pp. 2780–2785, 2008.
- Semih Dokurer, Y.M. Erten, Can Erkin Acar, "Performance Analysis of Ad-hoc Networks under Black Hole Attacks", in: Proc. of the IEEE SoutheastCon, pp. 148–153, 2007
- A. Raja Mahmood, A.I. Khan, "A Survey on Detecting Black Hole Attack in AODV-based Mobile Ad Hoc Networks", in: Proc. of the International Symposium on High Capacity Optical Networks and Enabling Technologies (HONET), pp. 1–6, 2007.
- E. Perkins, E. Beliding-Royer, S. Das, Ad hoc on-demand distance vector (AODV) routing, IETF Internet Draft, MANET working group, Jan. 2004
- The Network Simulator - ns-2.34, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/.
- S Jerusha, K Kulothungan, A Kannan, "Location aware cluster based routing in wireless sensor networks",International Journal of Computer and Communication Technology, Vol.3, No.5, pp. 1-6, 2013.
- K Kulothungan, JAA Jothi, A Kannan, "An Adaptive Fault Tolerant Routing Protocol with Error Reporting Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks", European Journal of Scientific Research, Vol. 16, No.1, pp. 19-32, 2011.
- K Kulothungan, S Ganapathy, S Indra Gandhi, P Yogesh, A.Kannan, "Intelligent secured fault tolerant routing in wireless sensor networks using clustering approach", International Journal of Soft Computing, Vol.6, No.5, pp. 210-215, 2011.
- S Muthurajkumar, M Vijayalakshmi, S Ganapathy, A.Kannan, "An Intelligent Energy Efficient Cluster based Routing Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks", Transylvanian Review, Vol. 24, No.6, 2016.
- Logambigai, S. Ganapathy, A. Kannan, "Energy Efficient Mid Position Opportunistic Routing for Wireless Sensor Networks", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 2, No.2, pp. 99-102, 2016.
- Perkins, C.; Belding-Royer, E.; Das, S. (July 2003). Ad hoc On-Demand Distance Vector (AODV) Routing. IETF. RFC 3561. Retrieved 2010-06-18.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
A. R. Rajeswari, K. Kulothungan, A. Kannan, "GNB-AODV : Guard Node Based –AODV to Mitigate Black Hole Attack in MANET", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.671-677, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1626160.php