Lipases are industrially important enzymes having applications in numerous industries. The present study aims to isolate different bacteria and screen them for lipase production. Oil spilled soil samples were collected from vegetable oil industry of Harur, Dharmapuri district. A total of thirteen morphologically distinct bacteria isolated were screened for lipase production in Tween 80 agar plate. Lipolytic activity was confirmed by zone of precipitation around the colony. Among thirteen isolates, six isolates exhibited lipolytic activity in plate assay. The bacterial isolate HLB7 produced high amount of lipase 2.6U/ml in lipase production medium by submerged fermentation was identified as Pseudomonas sp. The optimum incubation time, inoculum size, temperature and pH for lipase production were determined. The lipase production was maximum at incubation time 48 hr (3.26U/ml), Inoculum size 4% (4.37U/ml), temperature 40?C (4.65U/ml) and pH 7 ( 4.95U/ml) by the Pseudomonas sp
Veerapagu. M, Jeya K. R., Sankaranarayanan. A
Oil Spilled Soil, Lipase, Fermentation, Pseudomonas, Tween80 Agar
- Gui, M. M., Lee, K. T. and Bhatia, S. (2008). Feasibility of edible oil vs. non-edible oil vs. waste edible oil as biodiesel feedstock. Energy, 33(11): 1646-1653.
- Jha, G. K., Pal, S., Mathur, V. C., Bisaria, G., Anbukkani, P., Burman, R. R. and Dubey, S. K. (2012). Edible oilseeds supply and demand scenario in India: Implications for policy. Report of the Indian Agricultural Research Institute.
- Kavitha, B., Jothimani, P. and Rajannan. G. (2013). Empty fruit bunch – A potential organic manure for agriculture. Int J Sci Env Technol. 2 (5): 930- 937.
- Shabir, G., Afzal, M., Anwar, F., Tahseen, R. and Khalid, Z.M. (2008). Biodegradation of kerosene in soil by a mixed bacterial culture under different nutrient conditions. Int Biodeterior Biodegradation. 61(2): 161–166.
- Paulauskiene T., Zabukas V. and Vaitiekunas P. (2009). Investigation of volatile organic compound (VOC) emission in oil terminal storage tank parks. J Environ Eng Landsc Manage. 17 (2): 81–88.
- Beskoski, V. P., Gojgic-Cvijovic, G., Milic, J., Ilic, M., Miletic, S., Solevic T. and Vrvic, M. M. (2011). Ex situ bioremediation of a soil contaminated by mazut (heavy residual fuel oil) – a field experiment. Chemosphere. 83(1): 34–40.
- Crine, D.G., Paloumet, X., Bjornsson, L., Alves, M.M. and Mattiasson, B. (2007). Anaerobic digestion of lipid-rich waste effects of lipid concentration. Renew Energy 32:965–975.
- Singh, R., Kumar, M., Mittal, A. andMehta, P. K. (2016). Microbial enzymes: industrial progress in 21st century. 3 Biotech, 6(2), 174.
- Mo, Q., Liu, A., Guo, H., Zhang, Y. and Li, M. (2016). A novel thermostable and organic solvent-tolerant lipase from Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae YB103: screening, purification and characterization. Extremophiles, 20(2): 157-165.
- Chaturvedi, S. and Khare, A. (2016). Isolation and optimization for extracellular lipase using ground nut shell under submerged fermentation. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 6(3): 4727-4732.
- Muthumari,G.M., Thilagavathi, S. and Hariram, N(2016). Industrial Enzymes: Lipase Producing Microbes from Waste Volatile Substances. Int J Pharm Sci Res,7(5): 2201-08.
- Muthazhagan, K. and Thangaraj, M. (2014). Production and partial characterization of lipase by Bacillus sp. isolated from vellar estuary sediment. International Journal of Science Inventions Today, 3(6): 639-653.
- Ray, S. (2015). Applications of extracellular microbial lipases–a review. Int J Res Biotechnol Biochem, 5(1): 6-12.
- Patel, M., Mistry, J., Desai, S., Patel, S. and Desai, S. (2016). Isolation and Characterization of Lipase producing Bacteria from Vegetable Oil Spillage Site. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci, 5(8): 214-232.
- Dror, A., Kanteev, M., Kagan, I., Gihaz, S., Shahar, A. and Fishman, A. (2015). Structural insights into methanol-stable variants of lipase T6 from Geobacillus stearothermophilus. Applied microbiology and biotechnology, 99(22): 9449-9461.
- Saengsanga, T., Siripornadulsil, W. and Siripornadulsil, S. (2016). Molecular and enzymatic characterization of alkaline lipase from Bacillus amyloliquefaciens E1PA isolated from lipid-rich food waste. Enzyme and microbial technology, 82: 23-33.
- Anbu, P. (2014). Characterization of an extracellular lipase by Pseudomonas koreensis BK-l07 isolated from soil. Preparative Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 44(3): 266-280.
- Gupta, G. N., Singh, V. K. and Prakash, V. (2015). Molecular Modeling and Docking Studies of Cold Active Lipase from Pseudomonas fluorescens. International Journal of applied biology and Pharmaceutical Technology, 6(1): 59-66.
- Tanyol, M., Uslu, G. and Yonten, V. (2015). Optimization of lipase production on agro-industrial residue medium by Pseudomonas fluorescens (NRLL B-2641) using response surface methodology. Biotechnology & Biotechnological Equipment, 29(1): 64-71.
- Sharma, M., Singh, S. S., Maan, P. and Sharma, R. (2014). Biocatalytic potential of lipase from Staphylococcus sp. MS1 for transesterification of jatropha oil into fatty acid methyl esters. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 30(11): 2885-2897.
- Kanmani, P., Kumaresan, K. and Aravind, J. (2015). Utilization of coconut oil mill waste as a substrate for optimized lipase production, oil biodegradation and enzyme purification studies in Staphylococcus pasteuri. Electronic Journal of Biotechnology, 18(1): 20-28.
- Moradi, S., Razavi, S. H., Mousavi, S. M. and Gharibzahedi, S. M. T. (2015). Optimization and partial purification of a high-activity lipase synthesized by a newly isolated Acinetobacter from offshore waters of the Caspian Sea under solid-state fermentation. RSC Advances, 5(16): 12052-12061.
- Ramakrishnan, V., Goveas, L. C., Halami, P. M. and Narayan, B. (2015). Kinetic modeling, production and characterization of an acidic lipase produced by Enterococcus durans NCIM5427 from fish waste. Journal of food science and technology, 52(3): 1328-1338.
- Christopher, L. P., Zambare, V. P., Zambare, A., Kumar, H. and Malek, L. (2015).A thermo?alkaline lipase from a new thermophile Geobacillus thermodenitrificans AV?5 with potential application in biodiesel production. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 90(11): 2007-2016.
- Veerapagu, M., Sankara Narayanan, A., Ponmurugan, K. and Jeya, K. R. (2013). Screening selection identification production and optimization of bacterial lipase from oil spilled soil. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, 6(3): 62-67.
- Zouaoui, B. and Bouziane, A. (2012). Production, optimization and purification of lipase from Pseudomonas aeruginosa. African journal of microbiology research, 6(20): 4417-4423.
- Saranya, P., Kumari, H. S., Rao, B. P. and Sekaran, G. (2014). Lipase production from a novel thermo-tolerant and extreme acidophile Bacillus pumilus using palm oil as the substrate and treatment of palm oil-containing wastewater. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 21(5): 3907-3919.
- Holt, J.G., Krieg, N.R., Sneath, P.H.A., Staley, J.T and Williams, S.T.(1994). Bergeys Manual of Determinative Bacteriology, 9th edn. Baltimore: Williams &Wilkins.
- Shaini, V. P. and Jayasree, S. (2016). Isolation and Characterization of Lipase Producing Bacteria from Windrow Compost. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci, 5(5): 926-933.
- Sharma, D., Sharma, B and Shukla, A.K. (2011). Biotechnological approach of microbial lipase : A Review. Biotechnology, 10 (1): 23-40
- Rajan, A., Kumar, D. S. and Nair, A. J. (2011). Isolation of a novel alkaline lipase producing fungus Aspergillus fumigatus MTCC 9657 from aged and crude rice bran oil and quantification by HPTLC. Int. J. Biol. Chem, 5(11): 116-126.
- Bora, L. and Bora, M. (2012). Optimization of extracellular thermophilic highly alkaline lipase from thermophilic Bacillus sp isolated from Hotspring of Arunachal Pradesh, India. Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, 43(1): 30-42.
- Bora, L. (2014). Purification and characterization of highly alkaline lipase from Bacillus licheniformis MTCC 2465: and study of its detergent compatibility and applicability. Journal of Surfactants and Detergents, 17(5): 889-898.
- Fatima, H., Khan ,N., Rehman, A.U. and Hussain, Z. (2014). Production and Partial Characterization of Lipase from Pseudomonas putida. Ferment Technol, 4: 112.
- Sirisha, E., Rajasekar, N. and Narasu, M. L. (2010). Isolation and optimization of lipase producing bacteria from oil contaminated soils. Advances in Biological Research, 4(5): 249-252.
- Kashmiri, M. A., Adnan, A. and Butt, B. W. (2006). Production, purification and partial characterization of lipase from Trichoderma viride. African Journal of Biotechnology, 5(10): 878- 882.
- Tembhurkar, V.R., Kulkarni, M.B. and Peshwe, S.A. (2012). Optimization of Lipase Production by Pseudomonas sp. in submerged batch process in shake flask culture . Science Research Reporter. 2(1):46-50.
- Kumar, M. P. and Valsa, A. K. (2007). Optimization of culture media and cultural conditions for the production of extracellular lipase by Bacillus coagulans. Indian Journal of Biotechnology, 6(1): 114-117.
- Yu, H. W., Jun, H. A. N., Ning, L. I., Qie, X. S. and Jia, Y. M. (2009). Fermentation performance and characterization of cold-adapted lipase produced with Pseudomonas Lip35. Agricultural Sciences in China, 8(8): 956-962.
- Lomthaisong, K., Buranarom, A. and Niamsup, H. (2012). Investigation of isolated lipase producing Bacteria from oil-contaminated soil with proteomic analysis of its proteins responsive to lipase inducer. Journal of Biological Sciences, 12(3): 161- 167.
- Sujatha, K. and Dhandayuthapani, K. (2013). Optimization of lipase production media parameters by a newly isolated Bacillus licheniforms KDP from oil mill soil. Int J Pharm Bio Sci, 4(2): 645- 652.
- Sujatha, K., and Dhandayuthapani, K. (2013). Optimization of process parameters for the extracellular lipase production by newly isolated Pseudomonas aeruginosa KDP. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 2(7): 116-122.
- Prasad, M. P. (2014). Production of Lipase enzyme from Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolated from lipid rich soil. Inter. J. Pure Appl. Biosci, 2: 77-81.
- Azhdarpoor, A., Mortazavi, B. and Moussavi, G. (2014). Use of Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolated from a hot spring for high oil wastewaters treatment. Journal of Selcuk University Natural and Applied Science, 885-889.
- Hangloo, S., Sourirajan, A., Raina, C., Chaubey, A. and Dev, K. (2016). Isolation and characterization of extracellular lipase producing bacterial isolates from effluent waste of paint industry. Current Trends in Biotechnology & Pharmacy, 10(3): 261- 273.
- Shukla, B. N. and Desai, P. V. (2016). Isolation, Characterization and Optimization of Lipase Producing Pseudomonas spp. from Oil Contaminated Sites. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci, 5(5): 902-909.
- Kanimozhi, K., Devairrakam, E. W. J., and Jegadeeshkumar, D. (2011). Production and Optimization of Lipase from Bacillus subtilis. International Journal of Biological Technology, 2(3): 6-10.
- Pallavi, P., Suresh, A., Srinivas, P., and Ram, S.R. (2010). Optimization of lipase production by Staphylococcus sp. Lp12. African journal of Biotechnology, 9(6): 882-886.
- Balamurugan, V., Balakrishnan, V., Sundaresan, A., Vasanthi, K. and Venkatesan, S. 2016. Production process and characterization of extra cellular lipids from bacterial strain from oil industries waste. International Journal of Biological Research, 4(1): 74-77.
- Patel, M., Mistry, J., Desai, S., Patel, S. and Desai, S. (2016). Isolation and characterization of lipase producing bacteria from vegetable oil spillage site. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci, 5(8): 214-232.
- Unni, K. N., Priji, P., Sajith, S., Faisal, P. A. and Benjamin, S. (2016). Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain BUP2, a novel bacterium inhabiting the rumen of Malabari goat, produces an efficient lipase. Biologia, 71(4): 378-387.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Veerapagu. M, Jeya K. R., Sankaranarayanan. A, "Screening and Production of Lipase Producing Bacteria from Vegetable Oil Industry", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.726-732, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET1626172.php