This research study was conducted to investigate the potential of a virtual project-based simulation game for being used as an educational tool, from the viewpoint of construction students. For this purpose, 135 undergraduate construction students played Skyscraper Simulator, which is a virtual project-based simulation game focused on construction management. After playing, the students completed a questionnaire to share their opinions on the game's strengths and weaknesses. For assessing their responses, the comments were categorized by means of the constant comparative method of qualitative analysis and were counted for each category. The results indicate that the participants believed that Skyscraper Simulator has the potential to help substantially with comprehension of main concepts in construction management, and so it has positive effect on educating undergraduate construction students.
Construction, Education, Project-based, Simulation, Strength, Weakness
- Agapiou, Andrew. 2006. "The use and evaluation of a simulation game to teach professional practice skills to undergraduate architecture students." Journal for Education in the Built Environment 1 (2):3-14.
- Ba?, Gökhan. 2011. "Investigating the effects of project-based learning on students’ academic achievement and attitudes towards English lesson." The Online Journal Of New Horizons In Education 1 (4).
- Bodnar, Cheryl A, Daniel Anastasio, Joshua A Enszer, and Daniel D Burkey. 2016. "Engineers at Play: Games as Teaching Tools for Undergraduate Engineering Students." Journal of Engineering Education.
- Dabbagh, Nada, Angela D Benson, André Denham, Roberto Joseph, Maha Al-Freih, Ghania Zgheib, Helen Fake, and Zhetao Guo. 2016. "Game-based Learning." In Learning Technologies and Globalization, 31-35. Springer.
- Hale Feinstein, Andrew, Stuart Mann, and David L Corsun. 2002. "Charting the experiential territory: Clarifying definitions and uses of computer simulation, games, and role play." Journal of Management Development 21 (10):732-744.
- Hirose, Yukio, Junkichi Sugiura, and Kenji Shimomoto. 2004. "Industrial waste management simulation game and its educational effect." Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management 6 (1):58-63.
- Kincaid, J Peter, Roger Hamilton, Ronald W Tarr, and Harshal Sangani. 2003. "Simulation in education and training." In Applied system simulation, 437-456. Springer.
- Kincaid, JP, S Bala, C Hamel, WJ Sequeira, and A Bellette. 2001. "Effectiveness of Traditional vs. Web-based Instruction for Teaching an Instructional Module for Medics." ISTâ€‘TRâ€‘01â€‘06, Orlando: Institute for Simulation and Training, University of Central Florida.
- Lincoln, Yvonna S, and Egon G Guba. 1985. Naturalistic inquiry. Vol. 75: Sage.
- Messner, John I, Sai CM Yerrapathruni, Anthony J Baratta, and Vaughan E Whisker. 2003. "Using virtual reality to improve construction engineering education." American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition.
- Nikoli?, Dragana. 2011. "Evaluating a simulation game in construction engineering education: The virtual construction simulator 3." Architectural Engineering.
- Nikolic, Dragana, Shrimant Jaruhar, and John I Messner. 2011. "Educational Simulation in Construction: Virtual Construction Simulator 1." Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering 25 (6):421-429.
- Pariafsai, Fatemeh. 2013. Management and Construction Equipment Vol. 1. Tehran, Iran: Adabestan.
- Pariafsai, Fatemeh. 2016a. "Effectiveness of a Virtual Project-Based Simulation Game in Construction Education." International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET) 2 (5):377-393.
- Pariafsai, Fatemeh. 2016b. "Effectiveness of Virtual Project-Based Simulation Games at Different levels of Construction Education." 5th International conference on Science & Engineering, Paris, France.
- Pariafsai, Fatemeh. 2016c. "Project-Based Simulation Game: an Effective Learning Tool for Students with Limited Prior Education in Construction." 3rd International Conference on New Research Achievements in Civil, Architecture & Urban Management, Tehran, Iran, September 16th.
- Pariafsai, Fatemeh. 2016d. "Project-Based Simulation Games as Effective Tools in Education of Inexperienced Construction Students." 3rd International Conference on Recent Innovations in Civil Engineering, Architecture and Urban Planning, Tehran, Iran, September 8th.
- pariafsai, Fatemeh. 2016e. "Students’ View on Potential of a Project-Based Simulation Game for Construction Education." International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET) 2 (5):514-523.
- Pariafsai, Fatemeh. 2016f. "Virtual Project-Based Simulation Games: Effectiveness in Construction Education of Different Genders." 4th International Conference on Modern Research in Civil Engineering, Architectural & Urban Development, Barcelona, Spain, October 14th.
- Philpot, Timothy A, Richard H Hall, Nancy Hubing, and Ralph E Flori. 2005. "Using games to teach statics calculation procedures: Application and assessment." Computer Applications in Engineering Education 13 (3):222-232.
- POSSA, Rodrigo. 2011. "Um estudo sobre os requisitos de jogos de simulação usados no ensino de engenharia de software. 2011." Dissertação (Mestrado em Ciência da Computação)–Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG.
- Scott, David, Mick Mawdesley, and Saad Al-Jibouri. 2004. "The use and efficacy of a simulation model for teaching project control in construction." First International Conference on world of construction project management.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Fatemeh Pariafsai, "Strengths & Weaknesses of a Project-Based Simulation Game as an Educational Tool ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.59-67, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162623.php