The main objective of the present study is to develop the fragility curves for the open ground storey buildings designed as per the modification factors suggested by the different international codal provisions and compare the relative performance on the probabilistic basis by developing the fragility curves. For the development of the fragility curves the nonlinear static analysis method is adopted here. The building model considered is having 10 storeys and 6 bays in both the directions and it is assumed to be situated in Zone V. The building is symmetrical in plan. So, only plane frame model can be considered for the representation of the whole building. The building is first designed in the STAAD. The Ground storey columns are designed according to the modification factors suggested by the different codes such as 1 and 2.5 (Indian), 3 (Bulgarian), 2.1 (Israel), 4.68 (Euro code) and approach suggested by Kaushik et. al (2009).These building frames are modeled in SAP. The capacity curve of the building is obtained from the non linear static analysis and the capacity curve control points of the building (yield and ultimate capacity control points) are obtained. From this control points the damage state median values are identified and fragility curves are developed for each damage states showing the cumulative probability of reaching or exceeding each damage state at given value of spectral displacement.
Megha Vasavada, Dr. V R Patel
Open Ground Storey building Fragility curves, methods of development of fragility curves, nonlinear static analysis, damage state medians
- ATC-40,Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of concrete Buildings. Applied Technology Council,Seismic Safety Comission Of California. (November 1996).
- BCDBSS (1987). Sofia, Bulgaria: Bulgarian Code for Design of Buildings Structures in Seismic Regions. Bulgarian Academy of Science Committee of Territorial and Town System at the Council of Ministers. (1987).
- EC -8 Design of structures for earthquake resistance Part 1 : General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings. (2004).
- Erberik, M. A. (2008, september). Fragility-based assessment of typical mid-rise and low-rise RC buildings in Turkey. Engineering Structures , 1360-1374.
- , Crisafuli. (1997). Seismic Behaviour of reinforced concrete structures with masonry infills. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Canterbury. New Zealand.
- (2006). HAZUS MH MR-1 Technical and User Manual. Washington, DC: Fedaral Emergency Management Agency.
- (2006). HAZUS MH MR-3 Technical and User Manual. Washington,DC: Fedaral Emergency Management Agency.
- M. Calvi, R. P.-V. (September 2006). Development of seismic vulnerability assessment methodologies over the past 30 years. ISET Journal of Earthquake Technology , 75-104.
- Hemant B. Kaushik, D. C. (2009). Effectiveness of Some Strengthening Options for Masonry-Infilled RC Frames with Open First Story. Journal of structural engineering @ ASCE , 925-937.
- Hemant B. Kaushik, D. C. (2008). A rational approach to analytical modeling of masonry infills in reinforced concrete frame buildings. Beijing, China: The 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering.
- IS - 1893 PART 1. Indian Standard criteria for earthquake resistance design. (2002).
- IS 456:2000. Plain Reinforced concrete- Code of practice, Beurau of Indian Standard. (2000).
- Masanobu Shinozuka, M. Q.-K.-H. (December 2000). Nonlinear static procedure for fragility curve development. Journal of Engineering Mechanics , 1287-1296.
- Pappin, Xiaonian. D. (2008). A procedure for establishing fragility functions for seismic loss estimate of existing buildings based on nonlinear pushover analysis. The 14 th world conference on earthquake engineering. Beijing,China.
- Davis, D. M. (October,2008). Evaluation of magnification factors for open ground storey buildings using nonlinear analyses. The 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering. Beijing,China.
- SAP 2000 V18,Integrated software for structural analysis and design.
- Standard Institution of Iserael (SII). Design provisions for earthquake resistance of structures.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Megha Vasavada, Dr. V R Patel, "Fragility Analysis of Open Ground Storey Buildings Using Nonlinear Static Analysis", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.85-95, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162627.php