River bank erosion is inevitable part of natural geological cycle. However, the erosion results in loss of land, damage to the properties, communication systems, etc. River bank erosion is a process of detachment of soil particles due different causes, like high velocity flows, obliquity of flow, undermining, piping, sloughing etc on one hand and poor engineering properties of soil on the other hand.
The braided rivers are naturally unstable, causing frequent bank erosion in different reaches and at varying rate. If the bank is composed of finer non-cohesive material, the erosive activity could take serious turn. Therefore, arresting the erosive activity is given high importance.
Anti-erosion works are normally costly. Therefore, such measures are executed mainly at critical locations. For providing dependable protection, scientific approach is required for design. Hence, selection of suitable hydraulic design parameters is of prime importance.
Numbers of methods are available to determine the hydraulic design parameters. In this paper, the application of 2D mathematical modeling for deriving hydraulic parameters is presented. Considering the braided pattern and being an alluvial river, 2D modeling was felt absolutely necessary for true representation of the flow conditions and velocity distribution in such a river. After studying alternative methods for the anti erosion works, protection works in the form of revetment and launching apron using Geobags/ stones laid over Geo-synthetic filter was finalised.
S. B. Tayade, R. A. Oak, Neena Isaac, V. S. Sohoni
Bank protection, anti erosion works, revetment, braided alluvial river, Geobags, Velocity distribution, Two dimensional model, MIKE 21C, GIS.
- River Training and Protection Works for Railway Bridges, (2007) Indian Railways Institute for Civil Engineering.
- Handbook for Flood Protection, Anti-Erosion and River Training Works, (2012). Central Water Commission, New Delhi.
- D. V. Jogalekar. Manual on River Behavior Control and Training, Publication No.60, Central Board of Irrigation and Power.
- A.Oak (2016) – “Guidelines for monitoring of Design, Construction and Maintenance of Bank Protection works in Assam” – Manual designed and published for the engineers of Water Resources Department, Govt of Assam.
- Muluken Shiferaw, (2011). Thesis report - 2D Hydrodynamic modeling of Rib River, AAIT/SGS, School of Graduate Studies Civil Engineering Department, Hydraulic Engineering Stream.
- Suresh Maurya, Manish Gupta and Nripendra Kumar (2013). Use of Geosynthetics in Restoration and Bank Protection from Dhola-Hatiguli to Rohmoria along the River Brahmaputra - A Case Study, International Journal of Latest Trends in Engineering and Technology (IJLTET), Vol. 3 Issue 1 September 2013.
- Maminul Haque Sarker, Jakia Akter and Md. Ruknul Ferdaous (2011). River Bank Protection Measures in the Brahmaputra-Jamuna River: Bangladesh Experience, Conference Paper.
- Zorkeflee Abu Hasan, Aminuddin Ab. Ghani, Nor Azazi Zakaria (2007). Application of 2D modeling for Muda River using CCHE 2D, 2nd International conference on managing rivers in the 21st century: solution towards sustainable river basins.
- MIKE 21(1994). Coastal Hydraulics and Oceanography – Hydrodynamic Module – User Guide and Reference Manual, Danish Hydraulic Institute, Denmark.
- IRC:89-1997. Guidelines for Design and Construction of River Training and Control Works for Road Bridges.
- IS 13195:1991. Preliminary Design, operation and maintenance of protection works downstream of spillways – Guidelines.
- IS 14262:1995. Planning and Design of Revetment - Guidelines.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
S. B. Tayade, R. A. Oak, Neena Isaac, V. S. Sohoni, "Application of 2D Modeling for Design of Anti Erosion Works for a Braided River - A Case Study", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.128-137, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162633.php