Weirs, notches flumes and gates have been used for ages to determine discharges in open channels. In this study, laboratory experiments were conducted to investigate the coefficient of discharge for different beds and then comparing Chezy's and Manning’s coefficients. Using two different slopes, five different discharges and three kinds of roughness. Based on the investigation, it was discovered that discharge coefficient ranges between 0.4 to 0.9. Coarse aggregates were found to have an effect on discharge coefficient and manning was found to decrease with increase in discharge and velocity. Velocity increase with the flow under the unsubmerged condition for the corresponding roughness coefficient decreases with the increase velocity. Vegetative roughness coefficient tends to remain constant and rises as the submergence starts to occur.
Bashir Muhtar, Manal M. A. Albayati
Velocity, Discharge Coefficient, Flow Resistance, Open Channel Flow
- C. Yen, (2002). Open Channel Flow Resistance. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering
- Bengtson H. (2010) Open Channel Flow Measurement 4: the V Notch Weir [Online] Available at: http://www.brighthubcom/hydraulics-civil-engineering/65701-open-channel-flow-measurement-4-the-v-notch-weir/
- Bengtson H. Harlan, (2011) Open Channel Flow Measurement-Weirs and Flumes.
- Chanson, H., (2004) The hydraulics of open channel flow.1sted.Amsterdam: Elsevier Butterworth Heinemann.
- Chow, P., (2002) Taiwan's modernization in global perspective. 1st ed. Westport, Conn.: Praeger.
- Delleur, J., (2006) Review of Wastewater Collection System Modeling and Design by TM Walski, TE Barnard, E. Harold, LB Merrit, N. Walker, and BE Whitman: Haestad Methods, Inc. Waterbury CT., 2004; ISBN 0-9657580-9-5; 605 pp. Price: 195,students 75, professors 30. Journal of Hydraulic
- Engineering, 132(3), pp.328--329. ?12) Hershey, R., (2009) Streamflow measurement. 1st ed. London: Routledge. 13) Inc, E., (2014) Britannica Book of the Year 2014. 1st ed. Chicago: Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc.
- Kirby JT, Durrans SR, Pitt R, Johnson D. (2005) Hydraulic resistance in grass swales designed for small flow conveyance. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering 131(1): 65–68. 15) Kothandaraman, C. and Rudramoorthy, R., (2006) Fluid Mechanics and machinery. 1st Ed. New Delhi: New Age International.
- Mays, L., (1999) Hydraulic design handbook. 1st e d. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Nicklow, J. and Boulos, P., (2005) Comprehensive water and wastewater treatment plant hydraulics handbook for engineers and operators. 1st ed. Pasadena, Calif.: MWH Soft, Inc.?21)
- Ramsay, H., (1993) Recycled waste? Debating the analysis of worker participation: a response to Ackers et al. Industrial Relations Journal, 24(1), pp.76--80. ?22)
- Rhee, D., Woo, H., Kwon, B. and Ahn, H., (2008) Hydraulic resistance of some selected vegetation in open channel flows. River research and applications, 24(5), pp.673--687. ?23)
- Ricketts, J., Loftin, M. and Merritt, F., (2004) Standard handbook for civil engineers. 1st Ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- com (2007) Flow Coefficient Definition [Online] Available at: http://www.valvias.com/flow-coefficient.php (Accessed on 15th March, 2013)
- Wang, L. and Yang, C., (2014) Modern Water Resources Engineering. 1st ed. Totowa, NJ: Imprint: Humana Press.
- Huthoff, F., Straatsma, M. W., Augustijn, D. C. M. and Hulscher, S. J. M. H., “ Evaluation of a Simple Hydraulic Resistance Model Using Flow Measurements Collected in Vegetated Waterways”, Open Journal of Modern Hydrology, vol. , pp. 28-37, 2012.
- CIVE 2400 Fluid Mechanics (2013) Open Channel ydraulics .[Online] availableat: www.efm.leeds.ac.uk/CIVE/CIVE2400/OpenChannel Hydraulics2.pdf (Accessed on 9th March, 2013)
- Nalluri & R.E Featherstone, (2008) Civil engineering hydraulics
- Patra, K.C, and Kar, S. K., (2000), Flow Interaction of Meandering River With Floodplains,” Hydraulic Engineering., ASCE, 126(8), 593–604
- S. Khurmi, (2000) A textbook of hydraulics, fluid and fluid Hydraulic machines
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Bashir Muhtar, Manal M. A. Albayati, "Bed Resistance Investigation for Manning's and Chezy's Coefficients", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.263-274, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162668.php