Nowadays, Short Message Service (SMS) communications play important role in daily lives. Authentication, reports and personal communications are the common instances of SMS applications. The message signals are being transmitted in the air without any security measures. Hence, the message content could easily be intercepted without requiring complicated infrastructure. To protect confidentiality and integrity of the messages, various techniques are devised. Some early techniques rely on extra or upgraded hardware equipments and impose high implementation cost. However, the modern techniques mostly are applicable on smart phones and work in application layer. In this research, the proposed technique utilizes the profile information and users’ communications in social networks to generate two dynamic keys for SMS encryption and decryption. Cost of secure session establishment has dramatically reduced. The analysis results also show high level of user satisfaction and long secure lifetime for exchanged messages.
Saeed Yazdanpanah, Saman Shojae Chaeikar
SMS Security; Short Message Security; Secure Communication; Encryption; Cryptography
- Hossain, S. Jahan, M. Hussain, M. Amin, and S. Shah Newaz, "A proposal for enhancing the security system of short message service in GSM," in Anti-counterfeiting, Security and Identification, 2008. ASID 2008. 2nd International Conference on, Aug. 2008, pp. 235–240.
- IPCS Group "IPCryptSim SMS Encryption", http://www.ipcslive.com/pdf/IPCSSMS.pdf, online visited July 2009.
- Rongyu, Z. Guolei, C. Chaowen, X. Hui, Q. Xi, and Q. Zheng, "A PK-SIM card based end-to-end security framework for SMS," Computer Standards & Interfaces, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 629–641, 2009.
- Toorani and A. Beheshti Shirazi, "SSMS - A secure SMS messaging protocol for the m-payment systems," in Computers and Communications, 2008. ISCC 2008. IEEE Symposium on, July 2008, pp. 700–705.
- Hassinen, K. Hypp¨onen, and K. Haataja, "An Open, PKI-Based Mobile Payment System," in ETRICS, 2006, pp. 86–100.
- Chirico, http://www.ugosweb.com/miabo/, online visited July 2009.
- Hassinen, "SafeSMS - end-to-end encryption for SMS," in Telecommunications, 2005. ConTEL 2005. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on, vol. 2, 15-17, 2005, pp. 359–365.
- Lisonek and M. Drahansky, "SMS Encryption for Mobile Communication," in Security Technology, 2008. SECTECH ’08. International Conference on, Dec. 2008, pp. 198–201.
- Hassinen and S. Markovski, "Secure SMS messaging using Quasigroup encryption and Java SMS API," in SPLST, 2003, pp. 187–200.
- L.-C. Lo, J. Bishop, and J. Eloff, "SMSSec: An end-to-end protocol for secure SMS," Computers & Security, vol. 27, no. 5-6, pp. 154–167, 2008.
- Grillo, A. Lentini, G. Me, and G. Italiano, "Transaction Oriented Text Messaging with Trusted-SMS," in Computer Security Applications Conference, 2008. ACSAC 2008. Annual, Dec. 2008, pp. 485–494.
- Saeed Yazdanpanah, Saman Shojae Chaeikar, Mazdak Zamani, Reza Kourdi, "security features comparison of master key and IKM cryptographic key management for researchers and developers," International Conference on Software Technology and Engineering, 3rd (ICSTE 2011), 2013, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Mojtaba Alizadeh, Wan Haslina Hassan, Mazdak Zamani, Touraj Khodadadi, Saman Shojae Chaeikar, "A Prospective Study of Mobile Cloud Computing," International Journal of Advancements in Computing Technology(IJACT), Vol. 5, No. 11, pp. 198 ~ 210, 2013. Publisher: IACIT. Journal URL: http://www.aicit.org/ijact/home/index.html , Paper URL: http://www.aicit.org/IJACT/ppl/IJACT3136PPL.pdf
- Saman Shojae Chaeikar, Aizah Bt Abdul Manaf, Mazdak Zamani, "Comparative analysis of Master-key and Interpretative Key Management (IKM) frameworks," Cryptography and security in computing, ISBN: 978-953-51-0197-6, Publisher: Intech. March 2012, pp. 302-218, New York, USA.
- Saxena and A. Payal, "Enhancing Security System of Short Message Service for M-Commerce in GSM," International Journal of Computer Science & Engineering Technology (IJCSET), ISSN: 2229-3345 vol. 2, no. 4, April 2011, pp. 126-133.
- Saman Shojae Chaeikar, Mazdak Zamani, Christian Sunday Chukwuekezie, Mojtaba Alizadeh, "Electronic Voting Systems for European Union Countries," JNIT: Journal of Next Generation Information Technology, Vol. 4, No. 5, pp. 16 ~ 26, 2013. Publisher: IACIT.
- Stallings, "Cryptography and Network Security," 4th Ed., Prentice Hall, 2005, pp. 58-309.
- Nadeem, M. Y. Javed, "A Performance Comparison of Data Encryption Algorithms," First IEEE International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies, 2005, pp. 84- 89.
- Saman Shojae Chaeikar, Shukor Abd Razak, Shohreh Honarbakhsh, Hossein Rouhani Zeidanloo, Mazdak Zamani, Farhang Jaryani, "Interpretative Key Management (IKM), A Novel Framework," iccrd, pp.265-269, 2010 Second International Conference on Computer Research and Development, 2010, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Saman Shojae Chaeikar, Mohammadreza Jafari, Hamed Taherdoost, Nakisa Shojae Chaei Kar, "Definitions and Criteria of CIA Security Triangle in Electronic Voting System," International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Information Technology (IJACSIT). Vol. 1, No.1, October 2012, Page: 14-24, ISSN: 2296-1739, © Helvetic Editions LTD, Switzerland.
- Hamed Taherdoost, Shamsul Sahibuddin, Meysam Namayandeh, Neda Jalaliyoon, Alaeddin Kalantari, Saman Shojae Chaeikar, "Smart Card Adoption Model: Social and Ethical Perspectives," International Journal of Research and Reviews in Computer Science (IJRRCS). Vol. 3, No. 4, August 2012, ISSN: 2079-2557. Pages 1792-1796. © Science Academy Publisher, United Kingdom.
- Mojtaba Alizadeh, Saeid Abolfazli, Mazdak Zamani, Sabariah Baharun, Koichi Sakurai, "Authentication in Mobile Cloud Computing: A Survey," Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Volume 61, 2016, PP 59-80.
- Mojtaba Alizadeh, Mazdak Zamani, Sabariah Baharun, Azizah binti Abdul Manaf, Koichi Sakurai, Hiroki Anada, Shehzad Ashraf Chaudhry, Muhammad Khurram Khan, "Cryptanalysis and Improvement of "A Secure Password Authentication Mechanism for Seamless Handover in Proxy Mobile IPv6 Networks"," Plos One, Volume 10, Issue 11, 2015, PP 1-22.
- Mojtaba Alizadeh, Sabariah Baharun, Mazdak Zamani, Touraj Khodadadi, Mahdi Darvishi, Somayyeh Gholizadeh, "Anonymity and Untraceability Assessment of Authentication Protocols in Proxy Mobile IPv6 Survey," Jurnal Teknologi, Volume 72, Issue 5, Pages 31-34.
- Mojtaba Alizadeh, Mazdak Zamani, Sabariah Baharun, Wan Haslina Hassan, Touraj Khodadadi, "Security and Privacy Criteria to Evaluate Authentication Mechanisms in Proxy Mobile IPv6," Jurnal Teknologi, Volume 72, Issue 5, 2015, Pages 27-30.
- Arjen K. Lenstra, Eric R. Verheul, Selecting Cryptographic Key Sizes, Journal of Cryptography
- Saeed Yazdanpanah, Saman Shojae Chaeikar, "IKM-based Security Usability Enhancement Model," IRACST - International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technology & Security (IJCSITS), ISSN: 2249-9555, Vol. 2, No.4, August 2012. Pages 852-858. International Research Association of Computer Science & Technology, India.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Saeed Yazdanpanah, Saman Shojae Chaeikar, "Secure SMS Method Based on Social Networks", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.368-376, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162672.php