This paper proposes the operation of doubly fed induction generator (DFIG) with integrated active filter capabilities by using grid side converter (GSC). When the wind turbine is in shutdown condition the wind energy conversion system acts as a static compensator (STATCOM) for supplying harmonics. For supplying harmonics in addition to its slip power transfer the grid side converter plays an important role. Both gaining the maximum power extraction and also to provide required reactive power to the DFIG rotor-side converter is used. Detailed control algorithms of both RSC and GSC are presented. Here we are using the fuzzy controller compared to other controllers because of its accurate performance. Implemented project DFIG- based WECS is simulated using MATLAB/Simulink.
S. Vaishali, G. Goutham Reddy
Doubly fed induction generator (DFIG), integrated active filter, power quality, nonlinear load, wind energy conversion systems (WECS).
- M. Tagare, Electric Power Generation the Changing Dimensions. Piscataway, NJ, USA: IEEE Press, 2011.
- M. Joselin Herbert, S. Iniyan, and D. Amutha, "A review of technical issues on the development of wind farms," Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev., vol. 32, pp. 619–641, 2014.
- Munteanu, A. I. Bratcu, N.-A. Cutululis, and E. Ceang, Optimal Control of Wind Energy Systems Towards a Global Approach. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 2008.
- A. B. MohdZin, H. A. Mahmoud Pesaran, A. B. Khairuddin, L. Jahanshaloo, and O. Shariati, "An overview on doubly fed induction generators controls and contributions to wind based electricity generation," Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev., vol. 27, pp. 692–708, Nov. 2013.
- ShilpyAgrawal, Vijay Bhuria, "Shunt active power filter for harmonic mitigation by using Fuzzy logic controller"vol 2, June 2013.
- S. Murthy, B. Singh, P. K. Goel, and S. K. Tiwari, "A comparative study of fixed speed and variable speed wind energy conversion systems feeding the grid," in Proc. IEEE Conf. Power Electron. Drive Syst. (PEDS’07), Nov. 27–30, 2007, pp. 736–743.
- S. Zinger and E. Muljadi, "Annualized wind energy improvement using variable speeds," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1444– 1447, Nov./Dec. 1997.
- Polinder, F. F. A. van der Pijl, G. J. de Vilder, and P. J. Tavner, "Comparison of direct-drive and geared generator concepts for wind turbines," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 725–733, Sep. 2006.
- Datta and V. T. Ranganathan, "Variable-speed wind power generation using doubly fed wound rotor induction machine—A comparison with alternative schemes," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 414–421, Sep. 2002.
- Muljadi, C. P. Butterfield, B. Parsons, and A Ellis, "Effect of variable speed wind turbine generator on stability of a weak grid," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 29–36, Mar. 2007.
- Pena, J. C. Clare, and G. M. Asher, "Doubly fed induction generator using back-to-back PWM converters and its application to variable-speed wind-energy generation," IEE Proc. Elect. Power Appl., vol. 143, no. 3, pp. 231–241, May 1996.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
S. Vaishali, G. Goutham Reddy, "Wind Energy Conversion Systems with Integrated Active Filter Capabilities Using DFIG and Control by Using Fuzzy", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.242-249 , November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162673.php