A study was conducted to analyze the aquatic macrophytes with the help of ecological indices along the stretch of the Damodar river from Dishergarh to Barsul, Burdwan West Bengal, India. Twenty five aquatic macrophytes were collected from sixteen sampling sites of the river Damodar to determine their density, frequency, abundance, diversity (Shannon diversity), evenness, species richness (Margalef species richness). The objective of the study was (i) to identify the macrophytes present in the 16 different sites in the river Damodar and (ii) to quantify the aquatic macrophytes with the help of some ecological indices. The aquatic plants were identified up to species level. The average of diversity index, species richness and eveness of aquatic macrophytes in the Damodar river were 0.75, 20.0 and 0.25 respectively. Physicochemical parameters showed an average of pH (7.76), alkalinity (210.45 mg/l), conductivity (310 µS/cm), nitrate (NO3−) (1.62 mg/l) and phosphate (PO43−) (0.15 mg/l) in the sixteen sampling sites. Shannon diversity index showed minimum number of representative species under 14 families. Species richness index was moderate to high representing the enriched participation of habitat species. The study revealed that the most abundant species was Vallisneria spirdis may be due to its invasive nature and rate of dispersal.
Ruma Banerjee, Apurba Ratan Ghosh
Aquatic macrophytes, species richness, diversity, ecological indices, Damodar River
- Lee, P.F., McNaughton, K.A. 2004. Macrophyte induced microchemical changes in the water column of a northern Boreal Lake. Hydrobiologia, 522, 207– 220.
- Wilcock, R.J., Scarsbrook, M.R., Cooke, J.G., Costley, K.J., Nagels, J.W. 2004. Shade and flow effects on ammonia retention in macrophyte-rich streams: implications for water quality. Environmental Pollution, 132, 95–100.
- Thomaz, S.M., Esteves, F.A., Murphy, K. J., Dos-Santas, A.M., Caliman, A. and Guariento, R.D. 2008. Aquatic macrophytes in the tropics; ecology of population and communities, impact of invasion and use by man. Tropical Biology and Conservation Management, 4, 33-37.
- Sand-Jensen, K., Pedersen, O. 1999. Velocity gradients and turbulence around macrophyte stands in streams. Freshwater Biology, 42, 315–328.
- Vereecken, H., Baetens, J., Viaene, P., Mostaert, F., Meire, P. 2006. Ecological management of aquatic plants: effects in lowland streams. Hydrobiologia, 570, 205–210.
- Schulz, M., Kozerski, H.P., Pluntke, T., Rinke, K. 2003. The influence of macrophytes on sedimentation and nutrient retention in the lower River Spree (Germany). Water Research, 37, 569–578.
- Menhinick, E. P. 1964. A Comparison of some species - Individuals diversity indices applied to samples of field insects. Ecology, 45, 859-881.
- Shannon, C. E. and Wiener, W. 1949. The mathematical theory of communication. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 177.
- Pielou, E.C. 1966. An introduction to mathematical Ecology. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Margalef, R. 1958. Temporal succession and spatial heterogeneity in phytoplankton. In: Perspectives in Marine biology, Buzzati-Traverso (ed.), Univ. Calif. Press, Berkeley, 323-347.
- APHA-AWWA-WPCF. 1995. Standard methods for the examination of water and waste water, 19th ed, 459-463.
- Szoszkiewicz, K., Ciecierska, H., Kolada, A., Schneider, S.C., Szwabinska, M., Ruszczynska, J. 2014. Parameters structuring macrophyte communities in rivers and lakes – results from a case study in North-Central Poland. Knowledge and Management of Aquatic Ecosystems, 415, 08.
- Dabgar, Y.B. and Jain, B.K. 2011. Quantitative analysis of aquatic macrophytes in certain wetlands of Kachchh district, Gujarat. PRAJÑ? - Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences, 19: 11 – 13.
- Kaul, V., Pandit, A. K. and Foteder, D. N. 1980. Management of wetland ecosystem and as wildlife habitats in Kashmir. in Patel B (ed.) Proc. Int. Seminar Management of Environment. Bhabha Atomic Research Center, Bombay, India.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Ruma Banerjee, Apurba Ratan Ghosh, "Identification and Quantification of Aquatic Macrophytes with Ecological Indices in the Damodar River", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.275-281, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162679.php