Wireless networks are gaining popularity to its peak today, as the user’s wants wireless connectivity irrespective of their geographic position. There is an increasing threat of attacks on the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (MANET). Black hole attack is one of the security threat in which the traffic is redirected to such a node that actually does not exist in the network. It’s an analogy to that of the black hole in the universe in which things disappear. The node presents itself in such a way to the node that it can attack others nodes and networks knowing that it has the shortest path. MANETs must have a secure way for transmission and communication which is quite challenging and vital issue. In order to provide secure communication and transmission, researcher worked specifically on the security issues in MANETs, and many secure routing protocols and security measures within the networks were proposed. Previously the works done on security issues in MANET were based on reactive routing protocol like Ad Hoc on Demand Distance Vector (AODV). Different kinds of attacks were studied, and their effects were elaborated by stating how these attacks disrupt the performance of MANET. Black hole attack found in network layer pretends that it has a shortest route to reach to the destination but actually consumes all the packets sent by the source. For this, Intrusion Detection System is implemented using NS-2 by modifying the original AODV protocol and removing the black hole node which drops the maximum packets. We also proposed a method of activating the promiscuous mode by selecting the path of highest sequence number which is helpful in achieving the better Quality of Services (QoS).
Tehreem Nishat, Prof. Hansa Acharya
MANET, Black Hole, AODV Routing protocols, IDS, NS2
- -C. Hu, D. B. Johnson, and A. Perrig, "Sead: Secure efficient distance vector routing for mobile wireless ad-hoc networks," in WMCSA ’02: Proceedings of the Fourth IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications. Washington, DC, USA: IEEE Computer Society, 2002,. 3–13.
- Wang, T. liang Lin, and J. Wong, Feature Selection in Intrusion Detection System over Mobile Ad-hoc Network. Technical Report,Computer Science, Iowa State University, 2005.
- Grønkvist, A. Hansson, and M. Skøld, Evaluation of a Speci?cation-Based Intrusion Detection System for AODV.di.ionio.gr/medhocnet07/wp content/uploads/papers/90.pdf, 2007.
- Kurosawa, H. Nakayama, and N. Kato, "Detecting blackhole attackon AODV based mobile ad-hoc networks by dynamic learning method,"International Journal of Network Security, pp. 338–346, 2007.
- Makki, N. Pissinou, and H. Huang, "Solutions to the black holeproblem in mobile ad-hoc network," 5th World Wireless Congress, pp.508–512, 2004.
- Lu, L. Li, K.Y. Lam, L. Jia, "SAODV: A MANET Routing Protocol that can Withstand Black Hole Attack.," International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Security, 2009.
- Opnet Technologies, Inc. "Opnet Simulator," Internet: www.opnet.com, date lastviewed: 2010-05-05
- Al-Shurman, S-M. Yoo, and S. Park, "Black Hole Attack in Mobile Ad-HocNetworks," ACM Southeast Regional Conf. 2004.
- Sun B, Guan Y, Chen J, Pooch UW , " Detecting Black-hole Attack in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks". 5th European Personal Mobile Communications Conference, Glasgow, United Kingdom, 22-25 April 2003.
- Al-Shurman M, Yoo S-M, Park S , " Black Hole Attack in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks". 42nd Annual ACM Southeast Regional Conference (ACM-SE’42), Huntsville, Alabama, 2-3 April 2004.
- Djenouri D, Badache N, "Struggling Against Selfishness and Black Hole Attacks in MANETs", Wireless Communications & Mobile Computing Vol. 8, Issue 6, pp 689-704, August 2008.
- Chang Wu Yu, Wu T-K, Cheng RH, Shun chao chang, "A Distributed and Cooperative Black Hole Node Detection and Elimination Mechanism for Ad Hoc Network", Emerging Technologies in knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Vol. 4819, Issue 3, pp 538-549,2007.
- Raj PN, Swadas PB, "DPRAODV: A Dynamic Learning System against Blackhole Attack in AODV based MANET", International Journal of Computer Science Issue, Vol. 2, pp 54–59, 2009.
- istry N, Jinwala DC, IAENG, Zaveri M, "Improving AODV Protocol Against Blackhole Attacks", International Multi Conference of Engineers and Computer Scientists IMECS Hong Kong, Vol. 2, pp 1-6, 17-19 March, 2010.
|Published in :
||Volume 2 | Issue 6 | November-December - 2016
|Date of Publication
Cite This Article
Tehreem Nishat, Prof. Hansa Acharya, "Detection and Analysis of Black Hole Attack on MANET Using IDS on NS-2: A Review", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology(IJSRSET), Print ISSN : 2395-1990, Online ISSN : 2394-4099, Volume 2, Issue 6, pp.307-312, November-December-2016.
URL : http://ijsrset.com/IJSRSET162682.php